MotoCaribe in May 2017 Issue of Rider Magazine

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rider Magazine is one of the largest, most read specialty motorcycling magazine in North America.

Rider%20Magazine-MotoCaribe%20Article_001%20Small_zpswtsae1ag.png

PDF of Full Rider Magazine Article

The tour Rider wrote about was during the heavy rains of mid-November. We were lucky to have 3 decent days, and another day with just a few light sprinkles.

Coming back from Samana we encountered this flooded road between Las Terrenas and the new El Catay toll road:

[video=vimeo;193113628]https://vimeo.com/193113628[/video]

All-in-all, terrific PR for the Dominican Republic tourism industry.

Jan 9, 2004
Rider Magazine is one of the largest, most read specialty motorcycling magazine in North America.

Rider%20Magazine-MotoCaribe%20Article_001%20Small_zpswtsae1ag.png

PDF of Full Rider Magazine Article

The tour Rider wrote about was during the heavy rains of mid-November. We were lucky to have 3 decent days, and another day with just a few light sprinkles.

Coming back from Samana we encountered this flooded road between Las Terrenas and the new El Catay toll road:

[video=vimeo;193113628]https://vimeo.com/193113628[/video]

All-in-all, terrific PR for the Dominican Republic tourism industry.

Congrats on another successful tour.

If your riders were looking for "Adventure"..........beyond the brochures.......mother nature sure provided it this trip.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Cobraboy has to be one of the BEST success stories concerning a new business in the D.R. by a Gringo with the help of his wife. I think that she is Dominican.

I remember when they first arrived some 15 years ago? Is that close?

Cobraboy and team have worked hard and have done well. I'm sure that the time, energy, money and effort put in was amazing. I've ever see them grovel for business here on DR1 but post some exciting news that was just that... exciting. Articles from publications provided at times from outside independent reviews and some of Cobraboy's with his own great videos.

IMHO: Cobraboy has built MotoCaribe from the ground up here in the D.R. and is an outstanding example of what a person in a new land/home can do.

Congratulations and very well deserved.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy has to be one of the BEST success stories concerning a new business in the D.R. by a Gringo with the help of his wife. I think that she is Dominican.

I remember when they first arrived some 15 years ago? Is that close?

Cobraboy and team have worked hard and have done well. I'm sure that the time, energy, money and effort put in was amazing. I've ever see them grovel for business here on DR1 but post some exciting news that was just that... exciting. Articles from publications provided at times from outside independent reviews and some of Cobraboy's with his own great videos.

IMHO: Cobraboy has built MotoCaribe from the ground up here in the D.R. and is an outstanding example of what a person in a new land/home can do.

Congratulations and very well deserved.
Thanks for the kind words, DR Solar. They are much appreciated.

MotoCaribe was conceived in January 2007, I moved to the DR February 2008, the bikes, van, trailer and equipment arrived in March 2008, and the MotoCaribe "Virgin Tour" was in mid-April 2008.

It's hard to believe it's been 9 years.

And we couldn't have done it without my wife, Alida.

Last edited:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If only I knew how to ride.

I think that a large part of their success is in a large part Cobraboys' positive attitude and... behind every successful man is a good woman. Being humble and recognizing that is apparent. ;)

I'll bet that if you really want to learn, they would do their best to teach you IF they offer such classes.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think that a large part of their success is in a large part Cobraboys' positive attitude and... behind every successful man is a good woman. Being humble and recognizing that is apparent. ;)

I'll bet that if you really want to learn, they would do their best to teach you IF they offer such classes.
The DR is no place to learn how to properly ride a motorcycle ad hoc.

I have turned away dozens of clients because they lack the riding experience necessary for a tour. That's one reason we have had only one guest incident for MotoCaribe, and even it wasn't too bad. The biggest challenge is in the mountain twisties. If one doesn't know and have the experience to ride curvy roads, disaster awaits. However, if one does...well, the DR is a rider's paradise.

Our FAQ's state the minimum requirements: a Motorcycle endorsement or MSF BRC Certificate, and 5000 miles riding experience.

That said, in addition to other projects, I am working on a project that will bring formal Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training to the DR: a Basic Rider Course (BRC), Advanced Rider Course (ARC), and Basic Scooter Course (BSC).

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Very much understood and as you see it.

As for your future projects? They sound great and very much needed. Keep us informed.

Can I RIDE? A couple of years on my own 350? with well over 5K on nice flat American roads................... 40 years ago. My best and fondest memory is of picking pea gravel out of my leg, side and arm after going down. Ouch. I don't think that I could pass a physical. So I'm not a client. lol

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Very much understood and as you see it.

As for your future projects? They sound great and very much needed. Keep us informed.

Can I RIDE? A couple of years on my own 350? with well over 5K on nice flat American roads................... 40 years ago. My best and fondest memory is of picking pea gravel out of my leg, side and arm after going down. Ouch. I don't think that I could pass a physical. So I'm not a client. lol

I'm getting too old myself, although I have a few more miles than 5000 ( Had a Harley FLH for 33 years) I'm a slow rider.

These guys would leave me behind in the dust or get miffed because I held everybody back.. :eek:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The DR is no place to learn how to properly ride a motorcycle ad hoc.

I have turned away dozens of clients because they lack the riding experience necessary for a tour. That's one reason we have had only one guest incident for MotoCaribe, and even it wasn't too bad. The biggest challenge is in the mountain twisties. If one doesn't know and have the experience to ride curvy roads, disaster awaits. However, if one does...well, the DR is a rider's paradise.

Our FAQ's state the minimum requirements: a Motorcycle endorsement or MSF BRC Certificate, and 5000 miles riding experience.

That said, in addition to other projects, I am working on a project that will bring formal Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) training to the DR: a Basic Rider Course (BRC), Advanced Rider Course (ARC), and Basic Scooter Course (BSC).

Congratulations on your hard earned and well deserved kudos CB. I hope your safety course proposal leads the way for safer motorcycling. Maybe the government will institute one if they see you leading the way. Back in the day when I learned to ride, there were no safety courses. I rolled in on my bike, and asked the RCMP officer to follow me and test me. He said,"You drove it here. Your good to go". I took the first course available later on and it helped me get rid of a few bad habits. Took another one at age 60 to make sure I was still capable of handling high performance touring bikes. Probably do another one at age 70.