Do it Yourself Temporary Residence Renewal-Online

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Please Poster/Moderators let’s try to keep this thread to Temporary Residence Renewal-Only.
I am writing this thread with my Personal experience using the New Online system this year since the sticky written by Expat-in Cabarete was very useful to me in the past but now obsolete. Thank you again Expat. Maybe the moderators can make this one a sticky.
It’s quite long so I will write in the following post.

XTraveller

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Temporary Residence Renewal 2017_Online

1. 30 days before expired date of residency card: Prepare 5 paper copies & software copies (JPG format see note 6) of Passport, Cedula, and residence card.

2. 24 days before expire date: Took 2 pictures (2x2 white background) in San Pedro:
Foto Mojica calle 27 febrero #29 near Park Duarte (Iberia) cost RD200

3. 22 days before expire date: Went to Seguros Patria in San Pedro ( av. Independecia #91, near Park-Iberia 809-246-5829). Need copy of Passport-Cedula-Residence card and name and phone # of two people for reference). Fill out application form for “Poliza de Repatriacion”. Went back two hours later and pick up “Certificacion”. Cost: RD5300 pesos paid cash. Prepare 3 paper copys and software copy(JPG) to upload. Important make sure your documents are stamp with the insurer ink seal. (DGM will refuse original Document if not)

4. Went to BanReservas paid for: “Certificacion de no antecedents penales”. Paid cash RD600 pesos. With referencia # will download certificate from web site.

5. 15 days before expire date. Went on Procuraduria General web site: https://servicios.pgr.gob.do/servicios_en_linea/inicio/procesar and with Cedula & receipt from BanReservas downloaded” Certificacion de no antecedents penales”. It’s in PDL format so then scan in JPG format also made 3 paper copies in case.

6. 15 days before expire date. Went on DGM web site: https://www.migracion.gob.do/
Servicious & then Renovaciones Ressdencia, open new account, file out application form & uploaded Documents. (Not a user friendly web site). Surprise on upload web page asks for Documents not mention before on requirement page. That is now require “Carta de Solicitud” and software upload of Pictures.
Now my file under evaluation at DGM. Note all files upload to DGM in JPG format and largest is Passport at 533kb (Low quality) most around 215KB to 300KB.

7. 13 days before expire date. Received email from DGM “La solicitud ha sido enviada. Envíe los documentos originales” Check on web DGM web site ( Mi Pagina- Aplicaciones) and printed “Imprimir la hoja de envoi” will go to Migration with this and original Document.

8. 9 days before expire date. Went to migration in Santo Domingo with all the original documents and “hoja de envoi”. Arrived at DGM at 8:30 am, showed the “hoja de envoi” at the reception they gave me a number and said to wait at window 7 to10. My number was called around 10 minutes later. There they took original residence card, insurance document, police paper, photos and 1 photo copy of all with the folder. They did not take my passport or cedula. After submitting all documents they gave me a sheet that showed all the documents submitted and written renew temporary residence VIP with my case number and name. They said to go wait around window 2, they will call me to pay.

Now here where it took a long time, they called me by name at 12:00 PM, paid at window 2, 5000 pesos plus 1000 pesos for VIP (same day service). Now again they said to wait they will call me to take my picture. Finally at 1:50 pm they call my name for the picture. You must pick up an ID card at the rear counter and then enter in the glass door in the center.

After my picture they said to wait at window 11 or 12. This wait was short they called me at 2:10 pm, sign the foreigner book and pick up my new resident card.
Now took a fast taxi to the Junta (JCE for Foreigners) 250 pesos did not bargain because I was in a rush. I arrived at 2:40 pm and was out with new Cedula at 3:15 pm,3000 pesos, here efficient and fast.

Cost:
Picture: 200 pesos
Police Report: 600 pesos
Insurance policy: 5300
Residence & VIP: 6000 pesos
Cedula: 3000 pesos

Total Direct Cost: 15100 pesos or around $325 USD

XTraveller

sweetP

Sep 3, 2013
Thanks "XTraveller," this expat life and time-saving information will definitely come in handy when I go for my fourth temporary renewal in June.
Congrats also.

mrshmee

Mar 31, 2017
Hi, my family and I (5 of us in total) have just got out Temporary Residency RT-4 for the first time last friday. What I did not know is that you can go to another office and get a Cedula for 3000 pesos. Is this actually possible? And if I am only going to be back in the capital in two weeks, could i just go into the office and do it then?
Thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Temporary Residency Renewal

Just completed my temporary residence renewal. The online renewal is very easy once you know all the details. There is also some inaccurate, incomplete, and missing info on the online renewal site that you need to be aware of.

XTraveller already gave a very good outline at the beginning of this thread, so I will only add some info that might be useful.

The Certificacion de No Antecedentes Penales was received via email about 3 days after applying for it online with the reference number from your receipt from Banreservas. It is only good for 30 days, so don't apply for it too soon. The DGM website will tell you that it needs to be legalized. It is a digitally signed government document and does NOT need to be legalized.

I got my insurance(Poliza de Repatriacion)from La Comercial de Seguros. Email them and they will email you a simple application form and instructions. Email that back to them with a copy of your passport, residency card, cedula, and receipt of payment. Payment for this is also made at Banreservas($115 USD). They emailed me a copy of the policy the following day. However, you must bring the ORIGINAL policy to DGM. Very simple with La Comercial de Seguros since they have an office just 1/2 block past the parking lot entrance to DGM on the other side of the street. I emailed them the day before I went to DGM and it was there waiting for me to be picked up.

When you go to upload your documents you will see that a "Carta de Solicitud" is required. Expat-In-Cabarete has a good form letter posted(#234) in his thread in the Legal forum. Just change or delete the Director's name: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3x7nmy7nk8j370/Residencia renewal letter .docx?dl=0

For the DIY'ers, here's a link to a free site for printing your own passport photos. All you need to start is a portrait photo against a white background and the sizing tool on the website will give you four 2"X2" passport photos(only need 2): http://www.idphoto4you.com/

You do not have to upload all your info to the DGM site at once. You can close the session and the info will be saved. After submitting all my docs I received my confirmation("hoja de envoi") on the DGM website withing 3-4 days.

You need one copy of all the documents you uploaded, "hoja de envoi", plus the original "poliza de repatriacion" when you go to DGM. They now have two monitors that will display your number and the window(ventanilla)you have to go to when it is your turn. At the first window, make sure to tell them you want V.I.P. I was number 14 and the guy sitting next to me was number 5 and he was still sitting there long after I paid - presumably because he didn't get V.I.P. I noticed several other numbers were skipped on the screen, also.

Unfortunately, for the last two steps(foto/fingerprints and getting your residency card)you have to listen carefully for your name to be called. Make sure to go to the back of the room after paying and get an I.D. to go into the area where the fotos and fingerprints are done.

I arrived at 8:30am and was out by 11:45am. 15 minutes at JCE(Extranjera). All in all, very simple. I really see no need for anyone to use an attorney for a temporary residency renewal - even if you don't speak Spanish.

Last edited:

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Do you happen to have the e-mail address for La Comercial de Seguros? Thanks :)

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Sorry, 2 more questions. We are renewing for the 5th time. When I go to create the account, do I use the foreigner application or the Dominicanos one and secondly, When it aaks for a user name and password the site is not accepting anythingto be entered there?

Thanks in advance

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sorry, 2 more questions. We are renewing for the 5th time. When I go to create the account, do I use the foreigner application or the Dominicanos one and secondly, When it aaks for a user name and password the site is not accepting anythingto be entered there?

Thanks in advance

If I'm not mistaken, if this is the 5th renewal(not counting your initial application), shouldn't you be applying for permanent residency?

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Last temp one, sorry 4th renewal actual. My mistake. Anyway - what is the trick to getting the system to accpet a user name and password?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Last temp one, sorry 4th renewal actual. My mistake. Anyway - what is the trick to getting the system to accpet a user name and password?

The website is not user friendly for sure. After clicking on renewal of temporary residence, click "Aplicar" and you'll get to a page that says "Iniciar Sesion". You need to click on the "Crear Cuenta" link first to open an account and create user name and password.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying and tried again this morning. It allows me to fill out out every field except the username and password. Odd. I'll trying calling I guess. Thanks for your help

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying and tried again this morning. It allows me to fill out out every field except the username and password. Odd. I'll trying calling I guess. Thanks for your help

Got it, tanks for the help everyone. Greatly appreciated

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Got it, tanks for the help everyone. Greatly appreciated

LOL, one more issue now. Got everything filled out and hit the "register" button. A box comes up that says have immigration check availability of username and password". Click the box. Now - do we just wait for an email confirmation? Is there a time delay to actually create the account? Thanks yet once again

Calabasin

Apr 5, 2017
XTraveller, thank you for the information, will be very useful for me in the future.
May be some one can answer the following question.
If I apply for the renovation 30 days before the expiration of residency , upload all necessary forms on line, get "Hoja de envio" etc.,  BUT can not show up at the migration before the expiration of residency (out of the country and can not make it on time, will be 2 weeks after the expiration date of my residency) do I need to pay some extra penalties or whatever?
Thanks in advance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on a related note, don't forget to write down your login and password because you will need it each time you use migracion online services. i just realized that next time i will do it in 4 years time, sure thing i will forget the details by then.
i flexed my brain, managed to log in, wrote down the details and put the note with the rest of my residency paperwork.
small thing but it can slip your mind.

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
I'm overseas also and will be a month or so late on renewal Calabasin l believe we have to pay a small penalty fee when renewing.