Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: World Baseball Championship!!!!!!!!!!

  1. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    If all the best U.S. players played it would be a landslide. No Mike Trout,Bryce Harper,Mooky Betts,etc... And NONE of the top U.S. pitchers played.
    If I owned a team I would make sure my top paid players could not play in the WBC. I want them at Spring Training. No idea if that language exists in contracts.

  2. Likes Hector L liked this post
  3. #12
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    If I owned a team I would make sure my top paid players could not play in the WBC. I want them at Spring Training. No idea if that language exists in contracts.


    Yep the players need to get the OK from the clubs to play. For instance we played Hensley Jansen (closer) for just one inning in the semi-final against PR, even though we could have used him for innings 9 and 10. It was agreed Hensley could only play the one inning in that particular game.

  4. #13
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KyleMackey View Post
    If I owned a team I would make sure my top paid players could not play in the WBC. I want them at Spring Training. No idea if that language exists in contracts.
    I agree. I was just pointing out the fact that they did not play regardless of the reason.

  5. #14
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

    It should be the REAL World Series.
    You are so right! The "World Series" leaves out all of the Caribbean, Israel, & Japan: anywhere else except North America. It should be "World."

    Maybe if I ever get a job with Pedro's foundation, I can guide the mission to include this.
    Last edited by Meemselle; 03-24-2017 at 03:33 AM.

  6. #15
    Silver
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom0910 View Post
    If all the best U.S. players played it would be a landslide. No Mike Trout,Bryce Harper,Mooky Betts,etc... And NONE of the top U.S. pitchers played.
    Well, a contract is a contract and an agent is an agent and advisors are advisors and I am sure that a lot of "top" North American players got advice not to do it.

    Having said that, the enthusiasm of the ones who did was just so wicked cool. I thought it was great baseball and I was so glad I could watch it.

  7. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
  8. #16
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    Well, a contract is a contract and an agent is an agent and advisors are advisors and I am sure that a lot of "top" North American players got advice not to do it.

    Having said that, the enthusiasm of the ones who did was just so wicked cool. I thought it was great baseball and I was so glad I could watch it.
    i am wondering about the commercial value of such a tournament. when there is the World Cup soccer tournament, all the very best players in the world represent their countries. just like the Olympics. people watch the games to see them play. with this series of games, it is mainly a collection of second stringers who get to represent their countries. some of us are just not enough into baseball to sit and watch three hours of grade B baseball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •