Dyckman Beer Co.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I saw a video on this company a while back, and the owner (Dominican born) spoke of branching out, and distributing to the Dominican Republic. Has anybody seen the products for sale, or tasted the products, here in the DR?
http://dyckmanbeerco.com/

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks Ramesses, I didn't know that thread existed. The last posting on it is from October of '14, and nobody mentions seeing, or trying it here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I saw a video on this company a while back, and the owner (Dominican born) spoke of branching out, and distributing to the Dominican Republic. Has anybody seen the products for sale, or tasted the products, here in the DR?

Could be difficult to import into the DR. It will drive the price up. I'm not sure that Domincans are into "craft" beers. They like there Presidente and Johnny Walker or Chivas.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Could be difficult to import into the DR. It will drive the price up. I'm not sure that Domincans are into "craft" beers. They like there Presidente and Johnny Walker or Chivas.

There's at least three companies around that have been brewing a few years now: Santo Domingo Brewing Company, Republica, and Proost in Santo Domingo, Spiga in Santiago, and Walden Beer in Punta Cana.

Even "The One" beer by one of the major brewers doesn't seem to be very popular, after a long advertising campaign directed to affluent young drinkers.

I'm sure folks are not beating the doors down to buy them, but the fact they're still around indicates there is a market.

I suspect they will all continue to grow... slowly.

They average Dominican beer drinkers are going to stick to their more economical brews.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Presidente is a symbol of national pride, a very difficult task to take on for gaining market share.

I can remember the many different beers that sought to gain share the same way: come in and buy share with cheap prices below net cost, gain some traction, then raise prices hoping to retain most of the gained share. And as soon as the prices get raised, their customers go back to Presidente.

It's a nationalism thing.

I don't think the DR is a "craft beer" market. Then again, I don't see may "man buns" or lumbersexuals here, either.

That said, occasionally Nacional has craft beer on sale, I'm supposing because they can't sell it otherwise. I bought some Blue Moon that way, steeply discounted. Yum.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"The One" had a nice logo, and a great marketing team, but I thought the beer itself was horrible.
The One was...meh. It was beer.

It was the advertising campaign I found creepy, overtly selling "The ReallyReallyReally Kool and Hip Kids drink 'The One' to show everyone how awesome they are." Think Harley marketing for beer.

At least Bud Light sells "Drink Bud Light to get Girls."

In brew school, we'd do double blind testing of beers under a red light in a dark room (so you couldn't really see the color of the beer well to minimize bias and pre-perception.) Fact is 95% of humans can tell if they like or don't like a given beer, but they cannot differentiate the difference between brands within a type (like pilsner or lager) with even the slightest degree of accuracy, not even 10%. That's why beer advertising rarely sells "out beer tastes the best" and instead opts for a lifestyle or emotional connection.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010

Yep, it's been here for two years now. Good taste, but for the price, I don't see it making a dent. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Yep, it's been here for two years now. Good taste, but for the price, I don't see it making a dent. 
Where have you found it, and what's the going rate? I'm visiting New York now, and I was going to sample it here, and subject it to rigorous testing.