interesting article about the cost of deportations:
    http://hoy.com.do/migracion-invierte...eros-ilegales/

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    interesting article about the cost of deportations:
    http://hoy.com.do/migracion-invierte...eros-ilegales/
    According to the article, it costs an average of $425 to deport an illegal foreigner by air. That means that legal residents are paying $100/yr everytime they renew for $425 worth of "coverage". Meanwhile, I would guess that less than 1 in 5000 legal residents are ever deported in any one year. Hmmmmm......

I'm beginning to think that legal residents are really paying a lot of the cost of deporting these illegals.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

DGM is not a closed system, it's a part of the government budget machine. its income flows into the treasury and is redistributed rather than being cycled within that single office itself. anyone who pays anything to the dominican government, from tourist cards to residencies, from income taxes to marbete, from driving licenses to police checks - it all contributes to deportations, hospitals, government salaries and so on.

and that's after half of it gets stolen by politicos.

North Coast Moderator

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That's all true but, as I said, the premium that residents are now paying for deportation insurance really has nothing to do with the actual cost of deporting LEGAL residents. Who even knows where all the money is going? Only 2 or 3 companies are authorized to issue this insurance.

And just think of how much they'll be bringing in when the 250,000 that are currently in the PNRE finally become residents and have to start paying for this when they renew. There will be a lot more money flowing somewhere! They've come up a real money maker on this one.

5. Likes Fulano2 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    That's all true but, as I said, the premium that residents are now paying for deportation insurance really has nothing to do with the actual cost of deporting LEGAL residents. Who even knows where all the money is going? Only 2 or 3 companies are authorized to issue this insurance.

And just think of how much they'll be bringing in when the 250,000 that are currently in the PNRE finally become residents and have to start paying for this when they renew. There will be a lot more money flowing somewhere! They've come up a real money maker on this one.
    I don't think that will ever happen, those 250,000 are haitians that while given two extensions to complete the paperwork to get a residencia, they have been unable to do so, just 7,000 have completed after almost 4 years

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airgordo View Post
    I don't think that will ever happen, those 250,000 are haitians that while given two extensions to complete the paperwork to get a residencia, they have been unable to do so, just 7,000 have completed after almost 4 years
    Yeah, who knows(?). DGM will probably just "extend and pretend" forever. This was supposedly the last extension, but I doubt it.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011