Anyone recommend a realtor for Don Juan II La Romana?

Cdngurl

Nov 15, 2016
Hi all,

I'll be visiting DR last week of April, and am contemplating a future purchase in the Don Juan II subdivision. I've driven around the area but have not been able to find prices, amenities etc. If anyone is or knows of an english speaking, reputable agent that is familiar with this area please let me know.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Hi all,

I'll be visiting DR last week of April, and am contemplating a future purchase in the Don Juan II subdivision. I've driven around the area but have not been able to find prices, amenities etc. If anyone is or knows of an english speaking, reputable agent that is familiar with this area please let me know.

I doubt that anyone is going to have any clue what is Don Juan II.  Can you be more specific about where it is for example?

If it is in Buena Vista Norte, fine.  If anywhere else, you need to be careful.  You like the neighborhood?

Cdngurl

Nov 15, 2016
Sorry about that, yes you are right. Don Juan II is a gated community in the Villa Hermosa area of La Romana.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all,

There is a ton of listing for realtors and real estate for La Romana. Search on-line and you will get a feel for the realtors in that area. Also you may be able to search your particular location and find out more info.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
They are not Realtors.  There are no Realtors here.  The're agents.  Anyone who wants to can be one.  No license required.  Be careful and don't trust anyone trying to sell you property etc., yes there are good ones however, suerte

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Sorry about that, yes you are right. Don Juan II is a gated community in the Villa Hermosa area of La Romana.

Villa Hermosa is known as a dangerous neighborhood.  That is why houses are so cheap there.  You can see very good big houses for low prices.  Most of our Dominican friends and acquaintances will not consider living there.  You need to investigate more I think.  But, do what fits your situation.  I do know a European woman who lives there with her Dominican boyfriend and they think it is fine.  Low cost is the draw.  Gated would make it better, but nevertheless you still have to go out.  If you are just starting to visit La Romana, there is much to know. It is not a tourist town.

Cdngurl

Nov 15, 2016
Thanks Franco. Yes, I am familiar with the area; my boyfriend lives in Villa Hermosa. Im not entirely nieve choosing this location but I do appreciate all concernes/input people have to contribute.

Cdngurl

Nov 15, 2016
There is a ton of listing for realtors and real estate for La Romana. Search on-line and you will get a feel for the realtors in that area. Also you may be able to search your particular location and find out more info.

Yes, i have done this casually for the past few months. I certainly will contact someone randomly but just wondered if anyone here knew of someone reputable.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Finding what you say "an english speaking, reputable agent that is familiar with this area" is not likely.  Very few English speaking people are going to live in that neighborhood.  And, no agent that will be familiar with Canadian or US values will be selling there.

If you want what you are looking for, the only place you might find it is shopping in Casa de Campo or Buena Vista Norte.  Your best bet is going to be to ask your boyfriend's friends and acquaintances who you can find or trust.  Very difficult.  I know European agents who show real estate in La Romana and they would never show you this neighborhood.

Just the hard reality of it.  My standards are high and I have to avoid risk (and murders) because of my family.  Good luck.

For a more moderate version of the same kind of development, you might look in Vista Catalina.  Or, slightly better, Las Orchideas.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Villa Hermosa is known as a dangerous neighborhood.  That is why houses are so cheap there.  You can see very good big houses for low prices.  Most of our Dominican friends and acquaintances will not consider living there.  You need to investigate more I think.  But, do what fits your situation.  I do know a European woman who lives there with her Dominican boyfriend and they think it is fine.  Low cost is the draw.  Gated would make it better, but nevertheless you still have to go out.  If you are just starting to visit La Romana, there is much to know. It is not a tourist town.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!!!!!!! Security is the number one priority for gringos and gringettes. If you are looking at the property see what level of security is at the location. Just because they call it a gated community may mean very little. If this area already has a bad reputation I would quickly look at something else.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
They are not Realtors.  There are no Realtors here.  The're agents.  Anyone who wants to can be one.  No license required.  Be careful and don't trust anyone trying to sell you property etc., yes there are good ones however, suerte

I love how that works here. Anyone can wake up one morning and say to themselves...I think I'll be a real estate agent today...'cause my Tia is looking for a new apartment-ROLMAO-LOL.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I wouldn't let a reputation of crime deter you. Helll, ther's crime all over the island. I live on the Haiti side of the island an it's no different about crime/safety where you live. The most beautiful safe areas get broken into. I have colleagues, who have licensed guns, got broken into and held at gunpoint, while the thieves stole the guns, ammo, TVs and all other spendy things. They were Canadians. The security guard was in on the heist, of course. If the guard sees you carry it in, most likley cousin joe will know about it too.

Theft can be mitigated. Bottom line, you put a bunch of valuable sh*t in your house, and sooner or later, someone will try and take it because, it's a poor island and thieves a plenty looking for opportunity.

I never have a phone worth more than $150 on me. I buy the cheapest LCD Vizio TV and not much more. Leave nothing in your car and leave the doors unlocked so they don't have to break a window to understand there is nothing there. Paddle lock the battery down under the hood.

Just my 2 cents.