Be careful you could be on a one way ticket home.....................................

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What came first, the deportation order or the green card application?

It is a common legal principle that you can't apply for a legal status while in a condition of illegality unless there is some sort of amnesty or special program in place. The reports all state that previous administrations did not place a high priority on enforcing the letter of the law, so those with deportation orders against them where pretty much left alone provided that they were not committing additional crimes. Previous administrations did not vacate or actually suspend these outstanding orders.

Want to apply for a green card or other legal immigration instrument, petition the Govt to temporarily suspend the applicable deportation order so the applicant can be eligible to file an application. This is similar to robbing the bank on Tuesday and then returning on Wednesday to deposit the funds into your account. Tuesday's circumstances preclude Wednesday's actions. 

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Absolutely shocking! Entered illegally, had a deportation order issued against him, and the law is actually going to be enforced. Shocking!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I have sympathy for these people's current situation, but the law is the law. And every one of them knew when they overstayed their visitor's visa that they were breaking the law. It's good to see it enforced and no doubt will deter some who now think to do the same.

DR should follow the same path with illegals.

Anyone against the current immigration laws needs to work within the framework of government to change them to their liking. Until then? Hope for lax enforcement or bye bye.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Bogus propaganda that besmirches all the others that have come to the U.S and followed ALL the rules ALL the time. Not just when they wanted to or when it was beneficial to them.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, and that lawyer named Church isn't helping. Way too hysterical and overwrought in her language.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
What's more distasteful is the "illegal" using his baby's photo to garner sympathy and support.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have sympathy for these people's current situation, but the law is the law. And every one of them knew when they overstayed their visitor's visa that they were breaking the law. It's good to see it enforced and no doubt will deter some who now think to do the same.

DR should follow the same path with illegals.

Anyone against the current immigration laws needs to work within the framework of government to change them to their liking. Until then? Hope for lax enforcement or bye bye.

I am and have been a legal resident here, but these illegals you mention(in the DR) probably follow and obey the law far better than most of the population here.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am and have been a legal resident here, but these illegals you mention(in the DR) probably follow and obey the law far better than most of the population here.
Actually, being illegal, they are NOT following the laws.

One cannot pick and choose which laws to obey and consider oneself law-abiding. I do understand that humans are flawed and tend to build their own realities that rationalize behaviors they know break laws or acceptable societal norms. That's part of the human condition and we all share that trait.

Many years ago our class did a large market research project using both "man on the streets" surveys in malls (remember them?) and telephone surveys (before the concept of cell phones and the innerweb existed. We would pay for the person's time (I think it was $5, paid and sponsored by a grant from Coco-Cola (this was in Atlanta). The sample size was 1000. Out of 50 questions on a variety of topics, two questions asked in different parts of the survey were:

"Do you know any dishonest people."

and

"Are you an honest person?"

The end result? 100% knew a dishonest person, and 100% said they were honest. Let that settle in.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Actually, being illegal, they are NOT following the laws.

One cannot pick and choose which laws to obey and consider oneself law-abiding. I do understand that humans are flawed and tend to build their own realities that rationalize behaviors they know break laws or acceptable societal norms. That's part of the human condition and we all share that trait.

Many years ago our class did a large market research project using both "man on the streets" surveys in malls (remember them?) and telephone surveys (before the concept of cell phones and the innerweb existed. We would pay for the person's time (I think it was $5, paid and sponsored by a grant from Coco-Cola (this was in Atlanta). The sample size was 1000. Out of 50 questions on a variety of topics, two questions asked in different parts of the survey were:

"Do you know any dishonest people."

and

"Are you an honest person?"

The end result? 100% knew a dishonest person, and 100% said they were honest. Let that settle in.

There is speeding down a deserted road in Texas and shooting 3 people dead and everything in between. While overstaying ones tourist visa might be illegal here it is not the same as living in the U.S , sending your children to public schools and taking advantage of free health care and other services that millions waited in line for.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Southern, what do you think the visa overstayers are doing? They are living here to, without authorization. crossing the border and successfully committing fraud to gain a visitor's visa are in the same pile of you-know-what, imho.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Southern, what do you think the visa overstayers are doing? They are living here to, without authorization. crossing the border and successfully committing fraud to gain a visitor's visa are in the same pile of you-know-what, imho.

I do see your point about border crosser's , if I was living in Haiti or Honduras I would probably do the same thing. But this guy got caught and now he is blaming the whole system and the sanctimonious article reeks of the whole "sanctuary city" concept that is taxing us literally and figuratively. I was actually speaking of the snow-birds that come winter here. The jury is still out if they are breaking the letter of the law by vacationing here and paying an exit fee.Are they taxing the Dominican system ?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There are hundreds of thousands of Dominicans who illegally entered the country. Their highest ambition is to get in a lucrative car accident or end up on social security and retire back to the homeland. Sorry, these people are fraudulent underachievers who contribute nothing. If they are not here legally, they have to go. They bring a bad name to people like me and our families who work hard, pay taxes, own property and move forward.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Many think by being married to a US citizen it "erases" the illegal status. There are many who overstayed visa's, etc....and then marry a US citizen thinking it will solve all. I was always under the impression in these circumstances one must return to their home country and begin the green card process (I 130..etc..) there. There is also some kind of "waiver" you can apply for readmission and/or hardship but again I always thought that the process needed to be started once you have returned to your home country. Lawyer did not know all this???

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah, and that lawyer named Church isn't helping. Way too hysterical and overwrought in her language.

This lawyer should be given the boot. Why in the world would she advise these people to go to a hearing under these circumstances and the immigration climate in the US. Of course, they will check past history to see if your name appears. In 16 years he never took the steps to solve the problem and now after he is part of the fabric of the area he lives in he is being deported. Sad but he should have dealt with the issue many years ago not when you have a family that you put in jeopardy because you didn't do things the right way or tried to correct a mistake made. Do I personally think he should be deported, no. Not someone has has demonstrated his abilitity to be a good citizen, however this is not kindergarten where you get stars for good behavior. Illegal immigration is not going to be rewarded under this Administration. Ignorance is bliss but unfortunately it's no excuse.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many think by being married to a US citizen it "erases" the illegal status. There are many who overstayed visa's, etc....and then marry a US citizen thinking it will solve all. I was always under the impression in these circumstances one must return to their home country and begin the green card process (I 130..etc..) there. There is also some kind of "waiver" you can apply for readmission and/or hardship but again I always thought that the process needed to be started once you have returned to your home country. Lawyer did not know all this???

I know something about this... the US situation.

Yes, formerly you needed to return 'home' to renew a visa.
That was changed... renewals can now be made in the US.

Marriage-
once the green card application is accepted you are pretty well on your way,
EXCEPT you may not leave the US for 120 days (as I remember) maybe 90 days.... can't leave.
I can't figure that one out.
My daughter is in application and must honeymoon in the US... restricted travel outside.
If she leaves, she must wait the designated time before re-entry.

That's what she explained to me.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I know something about this... the US situation.

Yes, formerly you needed to return 'home' to renew a visa.
That was changed... renewals can now be made in the US.

Marriage-
once the green card application is accepted you are pretty well on your way,
EXCEPT you may not leave the US for 120 days (as I remember) maybe 90 days.... can't leave.
I can't figure that one out.
My daughter is in application and must honeymoon in the US... restricted travel outside.
If she leaves, she must wait the designated time before re-entry.

That's what she explained to me.
I have personal experience with this.

Marriage to an American citizen just makes the residency process a little easier than just an application with no family or marital ties.

The US considers "residency", i.e., "green card" as a desire to LIVE in the US. Once granted they expect you to LIVE in the US. Not six months in the US and six months outside. LIVE. I'm not sure there is an exact definition of that term so there may be some subjectivity to it.

My wife had her residency application in before we met as an unmarried child of a US citizen over 21. Her classification had some quotas attached. Because she had the application in the hopper, we did not get married because that would trigger the end of her first application, since one cannot have two visa applications being processed at the same time.

When she got her residency we were living in the DR with no plans to go back to the states and tied the knot. So through a US immigration lawyer she obtained what is called a "White Travel Document", a special document issued by the US---it's white and not blue---that permits her to live outside the US, renewable annually for three years at a cost of around US$450 per. It is targeted to foreign residents who may have a work assignment outside the US for extensive periods.

Ultimately she gave up her residency (and White Travel Document) because she was not living in the US, had no intention to, and got a ten-year tourist visa instead. Occasional trips back to the US do not allow her to hold residency, but a tourist visa will allow legal border crossings. We were told that if she ever wanted residency again there is an expeditied process for those who voluntarily gave up their residency for good reason ("good" was explained by a case manager at the US Consulateas meaning abiding by the specific letter of the immigration laws in an honorable manner.) Checking the box on the application that you once had a US Residency triggers the expedited process.

I suspect US Immigration will be cracking down on residency visa holders who do not live in the US. The same issue foreign snowbirds have in the DR---overstaying a tourist card---could be coming to America for Dominicans overstaying their tourist visa.

Last edited:

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

Lawyer Church sees each one of those people as a potential tither for 10% of their salary. Illegal is illegal. They all knew the law. There are many immigrants who obeyed the law and followed the process. What do you say to those individuals? Tell them "oh well"? Illegal is illegal and the law is the law.