Question about traveling ( minor)

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
What type of documentation does a minor need to leave Rd and go to USA for a vacation.. Child was born in Dominican Republic ( Mom is Dominican and Father is American) child has a American Passport
,does not have a Dominican passport.

Is his American passport enough or does he need more Documents? if so what are they?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I know Dollars go a long way.... that's why i love it here. Just trying to figure out if they need to be greased. I was told since child has and American passport he is good

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know Dollars go a long way.... that's why i love it here. Just trying to figure out if they need to be greased. I was told since child has and American passport he is good

He should be good to to with his American passport. However, not every immigration officer knows the laws.

Feb 7, 2007
As he was born in the DR even with American citizenship and passport, he needs permit from the mother. Follow the link at DGM website.
Mother needs to sign permiso de menor, needs to be notarized, and legalized at PGR. Then you need a certified copy of the birth certificate. Upload the whole package to DGM system and then go pick up the legalized permit. If child will be traveling alone the father needs to do the same thing on his side. Your costs will be paying notary, paying for birth certificate, paying for PGR legalization, and paying for DGM permit. Total cost about 5000 pesos. Does not include fees if father needs to do the same thing, in such case he must legalize his permit at the DR consulate or with any local notary plus Apostille, then shipping the permit back to DR.

And no, dollars will not grease the palms at the airport If he tries to fly without the legalized Permiso. It used to be until last August that children with double citizenship traveling on foreign passport didn't need permit. This is no longer valid and now they do, if they stayed in the DR longer than 90 days from their entry. Especially if their foreign passport states place of birth DR.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I second Rubio_Higuey's post. Migración is now much more careful about minor traveling with one parent or alone than before. I know of at least 2 that have been denied exit due to lack of Permiso de Salida para Menores. The way I see it, cheaper to do the legwork than reprogram flights.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what if a child is american, born in the states, currently living in DR, mother is a foreigner (not american) and the father is dominican?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The U.S.passport means kid has U.S citizenship so no problem with U.S. passport control. The passport will show place of birth is D.R. so automatically also a D.R. citizen so no problem with D.R. passport control. If traveling with both parents, nothing else is needed.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
As he was born in the DR even with American citizenship and passport, he needs permit from the mother. Follow the link at DGM website.
Mother needs to sign permiso de menor, needs to be notarized, and legalized at PGR. Then you need a certified copy of the birth certificate. Upload the whole package to DGM system and then go pick up the legalized permit. If child will be traveling alone the father needs to do the same thing on his side. Your costs will be paying notary, paying for birth certificate, paying for PGR legalization, and paying for DGM permit. Total cost about 5000 pesos. Does not include fees if father needs to do the same thing, in such case he must legalize his permit at the DR consulate or with any local notary plus Apostille, then shipping the permit back to DR.

And no, dollars will not grease the palms at the airport If he tries to fly without the legalized Permiso. It used to be until last August that children with double citizenship traveling on foreign passport didn't need permit. This is no longer valid and now they do, if they stayed in the DR longer than 90 days from their entry. Especially if their foreign passport states place of birth DR.

LET ME PUT HIS TWIST ON IT FOR YOU .What if the mother no longer resides in Rd , and she is living in another county

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Black Knight 
I would say your case deserves a trip to the airport or Migracion office.

You might be screwed without the RD mothers permiso 

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I agree with Willy, take a trip to the office.
First time leaving with the child is the one they look at the hardest. If the mother is not in country you may have an issue. After the first time the child is there as an American Tourist entering and exiting and not tough. If you are really concerned take a Cairbe tours to Port au Prince and fly from there. Border much looser on the ground. Having said all that, if the child does not have your last name then that is even harder.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
what if a child is american, born in the states, currently living in DR, mother is a foreigner (not american) and the father is dominican?

If the child normally resides in the DR (as in only leaves to go on vacation somewhere else and comes back), chances are they'll request the Permiso.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I agree with Willy, take a trip to the office.
First time leaving with the child is the one they look at the hardest. If the mother is not in country you may have an issue. After the first time the child is there as an American Tourist entering and exiting and not tough. If you are really concerned take a Cairbe tours to Port au Prince and fly from there. Border much looser on the ground. Having said all that, if the child does not have your last name then that is even harder.
last name is the same and the child has been out of the country before...... 

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
It's sounds like another money grab...... Child has blue passport he should be able to leave with no permission.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Had the permission paper before.. I was told I don't need it now... This is what and open forum is for to have discussions . The problem is in this country things change by the moment. Who knows what the heck you need.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If the child normally resides in the DR (as in only leaves to go on vacation somewhere else and comes back), chances are they'll request the Permiso.

At least that's what they did to our children born in Europe, residing in DR, with double nationality and EU passport.