german man arrested for trying to rob exchange point

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a german man was arrested in failed attempt to rob casa de cambio in cabarete. he threatened the staff with a gun but they managed to escape to the back and engage the alarm system that locked the place with attacker inside.
allegedly the man is jobless and was in desperate need of money. now he will have free housing and food courtesy to dominican prison system.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...izar-un-aleman-a-una-casa-de-cambio-XJ6784451

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He may have free housing, but don't count on getting any food. At least edible food. Most people in jail have relatives bringing food.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
That's a nice place and they rent cars as well. Very nice young lady works there. Glad they caught him.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
a german man was arrested in failed attempt to rob casa de cambio in cabarete. he threatened the staff with a gun but they managed to escape to the back and engage the alarm system that locked the place with attacker inside.
allegedly the man is jobless and was in desperate need of money. now he will have free housing and food courtesy to dominican prison system.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...izar-un-aleman-a-una-casa-de-cambio-XJ6784451

You come to a foreign country and you allow yourself to get that desperate? Heck he could have at least tried being a shoe shine boy or a sankie pankie.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
You come to a foreign country and you allow yourself to get that desperate? Heck he could have at least tried being a shoe shine boy or a sankie pankie.

Lol, yea he was probably one of those guys that came here after asking if he can live off of 1000 a month

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
He may have free housing, but don't count on getting any food. At least edible food. Most people in jail have relatives bringing food.

In the 'model jails' in DR the inmates do get food. In the old fashioned jails you pay for everything, from food to a place to sleep.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
every regular jail has free food for inmates. it's very basic: oatmeal, rice and beans, simple stuff. only in short term jail you get nada: basically between being arrested and either let go or seeing the judge and being sent to preventive jail.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the 'model jails' in DR the inmates do get food. In the old fashioned jails you pay for everything, from food to a place to sleep.

Yes, one of our classy campesina neighbors stabbed her mother-in-law to death, and she's in jail serving her sentence. Someone from her family has to bring her food, toiletries, etc. From what I understand, they take turns, every day.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Another failed life.
The DR would be better off without him.
He'd be better of working in Germany for a living, than living on dreams in the DR..... guess he didn't like the working part.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007

He must have been indeed in a bad situation. He worked with a toy pistol.
http://noticiasenn.net/un-aleman-asalta-dos-cajeras-con-pistola-de-juguete-en-cabarete

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
He should have went to Turkey and then on to any of the western European countries welcoming the hordes from the Middle East/Asia. He could have gotten free housing, food etc. now he suffers the consequences of his actions.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Every Dominican I know lives off about half of that a month... 

As the Grateful Dead sang they were "Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C and Cocaine". Seems a lot of people try that here and soon they are burned-out and broke.

It is much cheaper to live in your home country or find a small village in the interior of Mexico, but the DR is a very over-priced 3rd world country in the Caribbean & if it's your dream to retire and lie off a meager pension you need to keep on dreaming, because it won't happen here.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Most unfortunate, all the Dominicans I know and work with make at least 600 U.S a week, and they are not Sankies or hoes

What Dominican neighborhood do you live in - New York ? I doubt you can find working people on the North Coast making anywhere near that, even in a month. If a Dominican can get a wage of 1500 pesos a day ($30+/-), they consider that a hell of a great job.
My friend's husband works for Eden Norte on power lines and he makes about 17,000/month, a little more than $350 US and they struggle to buy cooking gas and pay rent.

So you must know a whole different class of Dominican than I've met.