hi to all, questions about living in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hi all,

i am a new member and i finally decided to join the forum. i always read and follow this forum for about 1 year. lots of useful info and funny stories. i am dominican born and raised in DR. i came to the US in the earliest 90s. i been here since then and sometimes visit DR. things had changed since i left, some are good and for the most part some are bad. im planning on moving there in 5 years but i am not sure yet. i have a 5 year old and i want him to be at least 10 years old plus i need to raised money to support myself. i know about the corruption and violence there. i lived that life for a while. of course, i think crime had gotten worse since i left. i do have family who lives there and even a cousin who is a police officer in the DR white house. my cousin tells me that as long as you dont go to bad barrios, make friends with those kind of people and dont flash then you should be ok.

i read a lot about the crime in the news and some people in these forums talk about the bad schools and so on.
i am planning to move to "campo area" in la vega called maguey. i know people who live there part time and come here half of the year. they tell me barely anything happen over there and it is quite. my questions are as follow:

1. will it be a smart move to move out to DR with wife and 10 year old kid? the reason for moving is that i am tired of overprice NY, snow, cold, tired of working for someone and take their ****. i want to enjoy life , be in warm weather, affordable place to stretch my dollars, travel and do whatever i want with my time. i cant seem to do all that in the states paying over $1500 in rent only

2. in regards to school, my cousin tells me there is an excellent private school in santiago. im planning to put my kid in private school english only. no public, no way. are these private school any good? i want my kid to go to college in the US. i want to make sure that his grade are accepted in the US without repeating courses or something.

3. i hear you can buy good insurance but doctors are not good, dont take chances and so on.
i know public hospital are horrible. but are there any good hospital/doctors in DR? things like this scare me

4. anybody know how much approx is a good health insurance for family of 3? husband,wife,kid

i had done some research but my only concern is the crime really and maybe the doctor topic. i am not going to be in the capital but crime could happen anywhere. my plan is to stay there during school session and when my kid goes on vacation then i can come to US for those 2-3 months of vacation he gets. any suggesstions/opinion on my idea of moving? do it ,dont do it? why? why not?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why not check out living in Santiago then. There are several very good private school with Santiago Christian school having a very good reputation and acceptance by American universities....etc. There are three decent private medical clinics/hospitals in Santiago with a lot of good doctors, many with foreign training. Check outs HOMS, Union Medica Santiago. There are safe neighbourhoods in Santiago. Boots on the ground is the only way to check it out.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi all,

i am a new member and i finally decided to join the forum. i always read and follow this forum for about 1 year. lots of useful info and funny stories. i am dominican born and raised in DR. i came to the US in the earliest 90s. i been here since then and sometimes visit DR. things had changed since i left, some are good and for the most part some are bad. im planning on moving there in 5 years but i am not sure yet. i have a 5 year old and i want him to be at least 10 years old plus i need to raised money to support myself. i know about the corruption and violence there. i lived that life for a while. of course, i think crime had gotten worse since i left. i do have family who lives there and even a cousin who is a police officer in the DR white house. my cousin tells me that as long as you dont go to bad barrios, make friends with those kind of people and dont flash then you should be ok.

i read a lot about the crime in the news and some people in these forums talk about the bad schools and so on.
i am planning to move to "campo area" in la vega called maguey. i know people who live there part time and come here half of the year. they tell me barely anything happen over there and it is quite. my questions are as follow:

1. will it be a smart move to move out to DR with wife and 10 year old kid? the reason for moving is that i am tired of overprice NY, snow, cold, tired of working for someone and take their ****. i want to enjoy life , be in warm weather, affordable place to stretch my dollars, travel and do whatever i want with my time. i cant seem to do all that in the states paying over $1500 in rent only

2. in regards to school, my cousin tells me there is an excellent private school in santiago. im planning to put my kid in private school english only. no public, no way. are these private school any good? i want my kid to go to college in the US. i want to make sure that his grade are accepted in the US without repeating courses or something.

3. i hear you can buy good insurance but doctors are not good, dont take chances and so on.
i know public hospital are horrible. but are there any good hospital/doctors in DR? things like this scare me

4. anybody know how much approx is a good health insurance for family of 3? husband,wife,kid

i had done some research but my only concern is the crime really and maybe the doctor topic. i am not going to be in the capital but crime could happen anywhere. my plan is to stay there during school session and when my kid goes on vacation then i can come to US for those 2-3 months of vacation he gets. any suggesstions/opinion on my idea of moving? do it ,dont do it? why? why not?
The good news is that you have 5 years to figure out if the move is a good idea for your family. A lot can happen in 5 years. You do know that you can move out of NY right? If you moved to somewhere more affordable ( down south) to live you could save more money. You have some good questions. Many of them have been answered many times on the forum. Good luck with your long term planning.

erod

Apr 9, 2017
hi dulce, thank you for your reply. yes i can move down south and save. i was thinking of florida but the problem is i dont know anyone there except one friend who is marry with 4 kids. not like i can hang out with him. in the DR i have lots of family and my mother in law willl be with us. i will always be surrounded by family in the DR. i think is good to have family around instead of been alone in another state. you never know if something happen and nobody is there to help out. of course i will prefer florida over DR but only reason i dont move to florida is due not knowing or having family there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My advice would be: don't do it.

Speak to Dominicans who left and went back, and to Dominicans that never left.

DR is a sub-developed country. Probably great for retiring or snowbirding but not for providing a future for your child (and yourself). 

I regret they day I decided to come back here (originally not being from here). The reasons to come back we're all 'romantic' and pink colored, good intentions (weather, family-minded society, more conservative environment). Besides that in the end that's relative (summer here is worse than winter in where I come from, though that's probably different for Santiago for example), in the end what you want (well, what I want) is an environment where you child(ren) can get ahead, have perspectives, etc.

Add to that daily nuisances like: heat, traffic, chaos, noise, ignorance, high cost of mediocre life.......

And on a more dramatic note: I've experienced several incidents lately where family and friends needed serious (but rather common) health care. All went to the US or after first being attended here decided later to go to the US. Even the good, expensive, private doctors make mistakes just too many times to one want to take the risk. 

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
of course i will prefer florida over DR but only reason i dont move to florida is due not knowing or having family there.

erod, you should be commended for introducing yourself like so. The forum normally gets a one liner introduction and the OP gets rebuke in return which is sad.

You have introduced yourself and asked questions, but the above quoted statement perhaps raises the question you must answer.

Numerous Americans, Canadians and Europeans relocate to DR expecting a better ideal life but become 'bitter' about all things DR. DR1 threads/posts of recent times for some is a testament to that.

Some people relocate to other countries for work, some for their partner, some for other obscure reasons, some for a better life.

You plan to come home. Think it through, visit, test it out. You have time. Don't become another 'bitter' in DR.

On a positive note, perhaps in 5 years with more than double the growth of developed nations, DR may be a much more attractive place to be opportunistic for a born Dominican. But probably not yet in the campo after 5 years.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
erod,

You have received some good advice. Think it through carefully and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
I'll 2nd the possibility of living in Santiago. My family is here, and live in a decent neighborhood without any issues so far. We live near HOMS, which is a good medical facility. I have a brain tumor and have gotten care comparable to what I received stateside for the same. I'll also 2nd the notion about Santiago Christian School. Of course, I'm biased as my wife teaches there and kids attend. It's a bit expensive without a discount (employee, missionary, etc.). It's open enrollment, so if you're not the religious type that's no issue. You don't have to make any promises or pledges :). Many wealthier Santiagueros send their kids there, as well as a smaller percentage of Gringos. It's all English-taught, and kids graduating have no issues attending college stateside. It's fully accredited for US university requirements.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all,

Well, first of all you know the Island and it's good and bad sides. I'm assuming your are fluent in Spanish? Having been born in the DR you should be able to transition back easily however some of the conveniences you are used to in NY will not be available, especially if you live in a small town. My main question is how old are you and will you need to continue to work in the DR to support your family? If that is the case I would question your decision to move back to the DR. I am thinking you are fairly young, with a 5 year old child. Yes, you can live here cheaper than NY but some things are more expensive, such as, electricity, a vehicle and gasoline. If you look for employment and you live in the "campo" it might be very difficult. I would consider Santiago, however the pay scale here is nowhere what you are use to making in NY. If your main concerns are the cost of living and the climate I would consider moving south along the East Coast of the US before making the plunge back to the DR. Once you have moved back here it will become very difficult monetarily to transition back to the States. You will also have to get residency. Since you were born in the DR that may be easier for you but you also have to consider your wife and child. This is normally not a cheap process to go through. The average "gringo" doing this will cost them between $1500-2000us dollars and this is for temporary residency, which now has to be re-newed for 5 years before obtaining permanent status. It may be easier for you to apply for DR citizenship and hold dual citizenship with the USA. If you can afford to live in a decent area than I don't think that the risk of crime is any higher than in NY. There are however more have nots than haves in the DR and this can lead to petty crime. Another thing to consider are the schools. If you can afford a private school that is ideal. If you have to send your child to public school than the education system is not close to NY standards. Again, I think your main concern should be whether or not you will open your own business or have to work in the DR at a sub-standard wage for a number of years. If you do not have much in savings and plan to live off this than DON'T make this move. You will struggle here and not enjoy the "simple life". No matter who you are and your background, if you are use to life in a different country and come here there is a learning curve. Think long term before making this major decision. Good luck and good travels.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, first of all you know the Island and it's good and bad sides. I'm assuming your are fluent in Spanish? Having been born in the DR you should be able to transition back easily however some of the conveniences you are used to in NY will not be available, especially if you live in a small town. My main question is how old are you and will you need to continue to work in the DR to support your family? If that is the case I would question your decision to move back to the DR. I am thinking you are fairly young, with a 5 year old child. Yes, you can live here cheaper than NY but some things are more expensive, such as, electricity, a vehicle and gasoline. If you look for employment and you live in the "campo" it might be very difficult. I would consider Santiago, however the pay scale here is nowhere what you are use to making in NY. If your main concerns are the cost of living and the climate I would consider moving south along the East Coast of the US before making the plunge back to the DR. Once you have moved back here it will become very difficult monetarily to transition back to the States. You will also have to get residency. Since you were born in the DR that may be easier for you but you also have to consider your wife and child. This is normally not a cheap process to go through. The average "gringo" doing this will cost them between $1500-2000us dollars and this is for temporary residency, which now has to be re-newed for 5 years before obtaining permanent status. It may be easier for you to apply for DR citizenship and hold dual citizenship with the USA. If you can afford to live in a decent area than I don't think that the risk of crime is any higher than in NY. There are however more have nots than haves in the DR and this can lead to petty crime. Another thing to consider are the schools. If you can afford a private school that is ideal. If you have to send your child to public school than the education system is not close to NY standards. Again, I think your main concern should be whether or not you will open your own business or have to work in the DR at a sub-standard wage for a number of years. If you do not have much in savings and plan to live off this than DON'T make this move. You will struggle here and not enjoy the "simple life". No matter who you are and your background, if you are use to life in a different country and come here there is a learning curve. Think long term before making this major decision. Good luck and good travels.

If he was born in the DR to Dominican parents he is a Dominican citizen. If you speak spanish there is no need for a lawyer to do your paperwork either.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just on a side note... my friend thought he hit the gold mine sold his house 8 yrs ago in Canada for a good amount of money.. bought a nice place inDR...now he wants to move back to Canada and can't afford too prices are close to double now here..and lost about $100000 in value here in DR from bubble that burst here..so be careful with your decision it can effect you and your family greatly!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
hi dulce, thank you for your reply. yes i can move down south and save. i was thinking of florida but the problem is i dont know anyone there except one friend who is marry with 4 kids. not like i can hang out with him. in the DR i have lots of family and my mother in law willl be with us. i will always be surrounded by family in the DR. i think is good to have family around instead of been alone in another state. you never know if something happen and nobody is there to help out. of course i will prefer florida over DR but only reason i dont move to florida is due not knowing or having family there.
I apologize. I was not clear enough on my answer. I was suggesting you move to Florida now for warmer weather to save the money for when you do move to the DR.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you come when your son is 10, he will be in 5th grade. Make sure you speak to him in Spanish, and give him access to books and videos in Spanish so he can become fluent in the language.

It is best to make the move when he is a little boy, if you can make it before, even better. As he gets older, he will not want to leave his friends, and may be less prone to follow instructions. 

Not sure how far Cruz de Maguey is from La Vega City. But your plan sounds good. No need to move to Santiago or even commute for the education of your child. Consider registering your son in a private La Vega school. The Colegio Agustiniano has excellent sports facilities (even an excellent 8 lane 25meter pool), so I would suppose their education is at that level also. That school will cost less than the bilingual schools and he will also receive English language classes. Assuming English will have been his first language, you could read to him all the time, he can watch TV and read and take courses on the Internet in English to keep up that language. 

See their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/365023089/colegio-agustiniano-la-vega/

Your son can graduate here and get admitted to any university abroad. His title will be valid. I studied in Santo Domingo at Colegio Santo Domingo, then did business at UNAPEC and got admitted to Columbia University (New York City) with no problem. Just took the Toefl and GRE tests. Your son can consider studying university at the PUCMM in Santiago, that has a wonderful campus and its students are among the best in the country. Then he can do a masters abroad. Maybe even qualify for one of the MESCyT scholarships.

Life in the Dominican Republic is not cheap. In many ways, life in the USA is cheaper. But if you live austerely in La Vega, you can appreciate the good climate, having a patio in a house and enjoying family and friends. Your policeman friend can give you good advice of where you can move and what you should do to stay safe. If you live in a house, would recommend keeping a dog inside the house with you. 

There are good doctors in the Dominican Republic. For medical care, would check out what Santiago has to offer. They are a mecca for medical tourism already. You do want to get medical insurance. I would estimate you could get prime medical insurance for around RD$5,000 a month for the three of you. 

If you can spend summers in the US with the family, then he will be able to keep up his English language. Perhaps find him some kind of educational summer camp in English. 

Go for it!

Last edited:

erod

Apr 9, 2017
If you come when your son is 10, he will be in 5th grade. Make sure you speak to him in Spanish, and give him access to books and videos in Spanish so he can become fluent in the language.

It is best to make the move when he is a little boy, if you can make it before, even better. As he gets older, he will not want to leave his friends, and may be less prone to follow instructions. 

Not sure how far Cruz de Maguey is from La Vega City. But your plan sounds good. No need to move to Santiago or even commute for the education of your child. Consider registering your son in a private La Vega school. The Colegio Agustiniano has excellent sports facilities (even an excellent 8 lane 25meter pool), so I would suppose their education is at that level also. That school will cost less than the bilingual schools and he will also receive English language classes. Assuming English will have been his first language, you could read to him all the time, he can watch TV and read and take courses on the Internet in English to keep up that language. 

See their instagram:

Your son can graduate here and get admitted to any university abroad. His title will be valid. I studied in Santo Domingo at Colegio Santo Domingo, then did business at UNAPEC and got admitted to Columbia University (New York City) with no problem. Just took the Toeffl and GRE tests. Your son can consider studying university at the PUCMM in Santiago, that has a wonderful campus and its students are among the best in the country. Then he can do a masters abroad. Maybe even qualify for one of the MESCyT scholarships.

Life in the Dominican Republic is not cheap. In many ways, life in the USA is cheaper. But if you live austerely in La Vega, you can appreciate the good climate, having a patio in a house and enjoying family and friends. Your policeman friend can give you good advice of where you can move and what you should do to stay safe. If you live in a house, would recommend keeping a dog inside the house with you. 

There are good doctors in the Dominican Republic. For medical care, would check out what Santiago has to offer. They are a mecca for medical tourism already. You do want to get medical insurance. I would estimate you could get prime medical insurance for around RD$5,000 a month for the three of you. 

If you can spend summers in the US with the family, then he will be able to keep up his English language. Perhaps find him some kind of educational summer camp in English. 

Go for it!
Thank you Dolores. This is great information. Yes, his first language is English and he is learning Spanish. He just came back from there vacationing with grand pa. For some reason he loves it there. I guess he gets to play all the time. To answer questions from other members, yes I know Spanish and so wife. I'm not going there for work but semi retirement as I invest my money. My investments are not enough to live in expensive NY.

Dolores, maguey is about 15-20 mins from la Vega. The school you mentioned in la vega is it accredited by the US?
Are all classes in English or more classes in Spanish than English? I would prefer more classes in English more than Spanish.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Probably HB who teaches at the PUCMM in Santiago can confirm this, but from the best of my knowledge a Dominican school does not have to be accredited by the US for its students to be accepted in US universities. The school does need to be accredited by the Dominican government, or the Ministry of Education, for its titles to be valid. Remember most of the students in the Dominican Republic do not study at schools accredited by the US and thousands have studied in the US after passing the Toefl and the SAT for undergraduate and then the Toefl and the GRE or GMAT for graduate studies. 

If Maguey is 15-20 mins from La Vega, then definitely consider Colegio Agustiniano. I feel strongly about the value of sports as part of a child's education. It means that lots of his friends will also be in sports, especially in these days where the leading sport is drinking alcohol. 

Most of the classes will be in Spanish. That is why I suggest you prepare your child so that he is literate in Spanish prior to his coming. Probably the only classes in English will be his language classes. 

My feeling is that he will get a very good education there, can then continue getting a very good education at the PUCMM in Santiago and then seek a scholarship to study abroad. 

Music, the Internet, TV are all in English here, so he will be surrounded by English. You can speak at home in English and he can do summer camps in the US. 

This summer come and check it out. You may be motivated to come earlier than later. 

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
if your "investments" are not enough to live in NYC, as others have mentioned, you could move to another state/city.

I think you're outweighing the crime/poor quality of life/education/healthcare all those combined factors with the "I will have family close". You are even ignoring how in the long run (unless your family is well off by themselves) some of these benefits will subside and partly become liabilities for you to take care of. Nothing wrong with that because taking care of your non-immediate family is noble and great but it gets exacerbated once you live down here in DR.

The benefits of having family close are specially greater when raising toddlers from age 0-7 and start to greatly diminish once the kids grow towards 12-17 and completely fade off after they start the process of being on their own (18+). The other benefit of companionship and social interaction which is very real can be easily replaced with having an active an outgoing life in the city where you plan to reside. This is highly dependent on you and your wives personality but friends are the family you choose. Be active and create a bond with people around you and you'll have good memories, good conversations and great companionship if you play an active role in getting involved in the neighborhood and society you live in. Us Dominican are in general much more warmer, easygoing and talkative than Americans so it should come easier as despite cultural difference all we want in the end is to be a social being. Humans are social beings.

There are many small towns in America where you can find rent for 500-600 a month, and live comfortably with few expenses. You can't have it always the way you want it exactly so you'll have to forgo the big city life.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hi all,

Hello Erod.....You didnt say if you lived in New york state or city, I assume you live in the city. You do know that New York city is the most expensive place to live in the USA? I am from the USA and live in Santiago now, I would not bring 10 year old children to live in The DR. If you dont like the cold of New york, is very easy to go south or west in the USA, I have lived in North Carolina, texas, and Colorado, California, all of these would be my choice over the DR because of the children....I waited until my daughters were out of school and on their own to move to the DR....Just my thoughts...also with the present administration in the USA, immigration may become a issue......Doc.........

erod

Apr 9, 2017
Hello Erod.....You didnt say if you lived in New york state or city, I assume you live in the city. You do know that New York city is the most expensive place to live in the USA? I am from the USA and live in Santiago now, I would not bring 10 year old children to live in The DR. If you dont like the cold of New york, is very easy to go south or west in the USA, I have lived in North Carolina, texas, and Colorado, California, all of these would be my choice over the DR because of the children....I waited until my daughters were out of school and on their own to move to the DR....Just my thoughts...also with the present administration in the USA, immigration may become a issue......Doc.........

Yes I live in NYC. Is there any reason why not to take kids over there? Is it because of the school? Or something else? He is 5 now and he is been there every year on vacation. He doesn't seem to want to come back to the states when he is there. Please share why I should not move with him when he turns 10

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Why would American immigration issues have anything to do with the OPs plans? Why would you not bring a ten year old to the DR? I agree that there are cheaper, warmer and far more friendly places to live in the USA than NYC. http://lavegachristianschool.com/index.php

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes I live in NYC. Is there any reason why not to take kids over there? Is it because of the school? Or something else? He is 5 now and he is been there every year on vacation. He doesn't seem to want to come back to the states when he is there. Please share why I should not move with him when he turns 10
yes school is one reason...but as you know the USA and Dominican Republic are very different, you have already mentioned crime and other negative factors, and I agree. If you move to a small to medium size city, say in north carolina or colorado, or new mexico, your cost of living will be about half of NYC. most public schools and other public institutions are first rate and free. The weather is very good, the states are beautiful, just a better place for children to grow up and be educated....I am back in the USA now in my home in wisconsin, small town on Minnesota border, I dont even lock my house doors at night, or take keys out of my car, few people do that here....can you imagine no bars on all windows, doors, no razor wire on the walls around your home, no drug dealers on the corners.....like I said just my thoughts.....Doc......

Status
Not open for further replies.