HI! Looking for a good sports medicine doc in DR - hope this site can halps me. THX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jp2017

Apr 10, 2017
Hi everyone how's it going my name JP, ive browsed the site for a bit for other things but never registered. Lots of good info here but I couldn't find it I was looking for so figured I'd sign up and post instead of just be a lurker..

As a subject says I'm looking for a good sports medicine doctor, Specifically looking for PRP therapy for tendinitis

really appreciate any input on this. thanks!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No need for a doctor. Rx is ibuprofen and rest. Depending on severity 6 to 8 weeks minimum. Becomes chronic with insufficient rest times and too soon a return to activity that aggravates the area. Massage and application of heat/cold will help speed recovery. Rest/ recovery time may vary depending on age, Gen health and severity of injury. Good luck, be patient.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Interesting. PRP is close to stem cell treatment. Just my opinion but I am reluctant to have invasive medical procedures in the DR. Just nervous about aseptic techniques and risk of infection. US is just so close by. Maybe your friends md is the guy or knows another md.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I had the same issue recently. The Doc in US gave me some shots but the only thing that helped long term was Ibuprofen and rest. It worked much better than the boot that they gave me.Just sayin.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
PRP on the island.... I thought there was only 2 laboratory centrifuges on the whole island. Plenty of steroid shots however.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Interesting. PRP is close to stem cell treatment. Just my opinion but I am reluctant to have invasive medical procedures in the DR. Just nervous about aseptic techniques and risk of infection. US is just so close by. Maybe your friends md is the guy or knows another md.

I have been hearing for years now that side effects of Ibuprofen are bad and overall not worth it. http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138
With so many major league baseball camps setup here, you would think this is an ailment they must address from time to time. Maybe they have sports me docs.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are many fancy rehab centers in Santo Domingo. 

The person who made a business with his successes with the national women's volleyball team, Dr. Figueroa, has a center off Leopoldo Navarro street. I went there for a sore knee and did therapy for about a month and it worked. Is not fancy, but works without meds. See terapiafisicadrfigueroa online

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ibuprofen has been well studied and is the most effective anti inflamatory available w/o a prescription. All the sides are well documented so there are no surprised if you read. Long term use will cause a gi bleed that goes away when you stop. In the gym it's called vitamin I. It's cheap, available and works great. Problems arise when the ibuprofen takes away the pain and you go back to what caused the problem in the first place. Most people do not take enough time to heal, mask the pain and re-injure the area ending up with a chronic long term problem.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ibuprofen has been well studied and is the most effective anti inflamatory available w/o a prescription. All the sides are well documented so there are no surprised if you read. Long term use will cause a gi bleed that goes away when you stop. In the gym it's called vitamin I. It's cheap, available and works great. Problems arise when the ibuprofen takes away the pain and you go back to what caused the problem in the first place. Most people do not take enough time to heal, mask the pain and re-injure the area ending up with a chronic long term problem.

Ibuprofen is effective but is very hard on the heart as well so if you have heart issues it's dangerous. I used to take them like candy. It's very good to take about twenty minutes before a workout if you have cranky joints like me. Working on my knees on cold metal floor...etc takes it's toll, along with using your arms as pry bars and supports, hands as hammers....etc.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I am not a physical therapist nor a sports medicine doctor however I have quite some experience of tendinitis problems as I have played racket sports and soccer during my childhood and adult life. I have had tendinitis problems both in elbow and knee.
The key is rest and in the initial phase anti-inflammatory pills could work (14 days). I liked Aleve (naproxen) better than Ibuprofen but not an expert on the best pills. If the tendinitis has become chronic the pills does not work in my experience. Even though the situation is not severe and/or has not become chronic the root-cause of the problem must be addressed before returning to the activity that caused this.

Eccentric training is the way to approach this and try to cure it long-term (after the initial rest period which can vary in weeks!). I also did stretching and warm-up exercises every day ( still do them today as preventive action or when I feel early symptoms again). Try to do eccentric training of the impacted area every other day. It is ok to feel some pain during the exercise but the pain shall not exceed the pain you feel during next time you exercise two days later, then you are doing it too hard (too much weight). I stretch directly after the eccentric training and thereafter put an ice-pack on the impacted area. It will not harm if you put an ice-pack on during your rest-days also.

For my knee I needed some external boost and got shock wave treatments in my home country (not allowed in the USA) and this helped a bit. I ended up with a cortisone shoot that made me recover 100%.

Important to understand that you can not hurry up the recovery time. 3 months minimum I would say for moderate symptoms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.