Beach closings Thursday April 13 2 PM until 8 PM Sunday

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Over 200 beaches, swimming spots off limits to prevent deaths

Santo Domingo.- Around 205 beaches and swimming spots where declared off limits nationwide, to prevent fatalities among vacationers during Holy Week that begins on Sunday.

The Emergency Operations Center (COE) said the measure forms part of Operation Holy Week 2017, “Lennt Vigil for your Values ​​and Safety,”, which will start Thursday, April 13 at 2pm and concludes at 6pm on Resurrection Sunday.

COE director Juan Manuel Méndez said the bans seek to reduce the number of fatalities during Holy Week.

He said 24 beaches and swimming spots were shuttered in the National District; 12 in Monte Plata; 15 in Santiago; 7 in Puerto Plata; 5 in Espaillat; 9 in Mao Valverde; 6 in Santiago Rodríguez and 7 in Montecristi.

In San Pedro de Macorís 22 were closed; 2 in El Seybo; 4 in La Romana; 5 in Duarte; 6 in Nagua; 8 in Samana; 5 in La Vega; 9 in Monsignor Nouel and 7 in Sánchez Ramírez.

In Peravia 15; In San Cristóbal 12; Barahona 9; In Pedernales 2; In Azua 4; In San Juan de la Maguana 7 and 3 in Elías Piña.

Source: DT

Apr 8, 2017

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Uh,oh! This could change the dead pool estimates. Is it just a few signs or actual police enforcement? Anyone know? Imagine the government actually taking positive steps to help it's citizens. Could this be a trend? Refreshing!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Uh,oh! This could change the dead pool estimates. Is it just a few signs or actual police enforcement? Anyone know? Imagine the government actually taking positive steps to help it's citizens. Could this be a trend? Refreshing!!

I am actually for free will rather than government meddling such as this.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
They did similar last year. Nothing new unless they changed a few of the beaches to be open/closed

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
"Government taking positive steps to help it's citizens".....by closing it's entire coastline? How about education regarding how to properly enjoy the shores, and the dangers that can/do exist there? As well as creating a nationally trained lifeguard brigade or department? Should be a no brainer for an island nation. Since there's so many road accidents, why not close all roads and highways for 4 days? It's an answer, but not a solution to the problem.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Unless I missed it I didn't see Sosua listed, where all the SD and Santiago people come for the holiday anyhow???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

they close certain beaches and swimming areas along the rivers every year, increasing off limit areas. i guess it depends on the rains, number of previous incidents, availability of assistance and other factors.
here is more detailed list of the beaches closed this season:
https://www.diariolibre.com/medioam...y-balnearios-clausurados-en-el-pais-GF6766080

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Free will???? At what age for children does free will kick in? The ocean can be deceptive. Looks calm but drop offs and undertowS kill people all over the world. With the free will application you are fine with the number of tourists who drown in Cabarete. Government has no business interfering in its citizens drowning at the same locations over and over? At any rate I like swimming lessons in school over beach closings.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Free will???? At what age for children does free will kick in? The ocean can be deceptive. Looks calm but drop offs and undertowS kill people all over the world. With the free will application you are fine with the number of tourists who drown in Cabarete. Government has no business interfering in its citizens drowning at the same locations over and over? At any rate I like swimming lessons in school over beach closings.

Children are the responsibility of their parents.

As for the topic at hand: What does undertow, which could be present any day of the year, have to do with closing beaches specifically for Samana Santa? Answer - Nothing.

As someone else suggested, why would then not just close all the roads..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unless I missed it I didn't see Sosua listed, where all the SD and Santiago people come for the holiday anyhow???

When the say Puerto Plata, they mean the Province of Puerto Plata which includes Sosua and Cabarete.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Sosua Beach isn't closed; my neighbor owns a restaurant on the beach and he was told to only serve plastic utensils, glasses and dishes, but that the beach would be open.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sosua Beach isn't closed; my neighbor owns a restaurant on the beach and he was told to only serve plastic utensils, glasses and dishes, but that the beach would be open.

By beach closed, I thought they just meant no one can swim???

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Jet skis, horses, and swimming are also banned.

Tourism announces ban on jet skis, travel to islands

Santo Domingo.- The Tourism Ministry on Monday announced that motor vehicles, wave runners, jet skis and horses are barred on beaches and swimming sports throughout the country, during the Easter week as a safety measure.

Tourism said the ban will be in effect from Thursday Easter Sunday on beaches, rivers and lakes to protect the thousands of local and foreign tourists which visit them

It also said visits to Laguna Gri Gri, and Saona, Catalina and Cayo Levantado islands will be allowed only sea aboard boats regulated by Tourism.

“Tourism is responsible for overseeing and coordinating all measures to ensure that physical integration and enjoyment of tourists in a family environment in these places with the other government agencies.”

It adds that the Tourism Police must enforce the resolution, with other law enforcement agencies as well.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touri...-announces-ban-on-jet-skis-travel-to-islands/

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
You know what a problem it is with those campesinos bringing their horses to the beach, and putting 'ol Presidente on a jet ski or wave runner. We see it all the time every Semana Santa.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am actually for free will rather than government meddling such as this.

That is just a commentary on how crazy DR citizens get during Semana Santa. They act like they don't party the rest of the year, which we know in many cases is just not true. Domincans love to party and they love their alchohol. Dangerous combination when you throw in the ocean or river with rip currents. The Gov, in this case, is trying to take the necessary steps to protect those who are beyond using any common sense when celebrating. There will still be those who are foolish enough to get injured or give up their lives. You may in favor of no guidlines but many Domincans act like little children, when it comes to partying and drinking and someone needs to reign them in. Better a little sobering advice vs. losing your life?