Santo Domingo Motorbike Rental

TravelerCP

Apr 15, 2017
Hey DR1 Crew,

I am going to be sending two weeks in DR this summer with a couple of buddies. We are hoping to do most of our trip on motorbikes and am trying to find some reputable rental agencies. I have found one or two places up north but nothing in SD. Not looking for big motorcycles but something in the 100-150 cc range, either a semi automatic or manual.

I understand the dangers involved with driving motorbikes anywhere and have read a lot about the traffic and concerns about driving in DR. I have been living and riding in big cities in Asia for almost a decade and deal with dangerous intense traffic on a daily basis. I understand the risks involved and can let you know in advance I appreciate your concerns.

If anyone has any info or contact details on rental companies in SD or the surrounding area please let me know.

Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey DR1 Crew,

I am going to be sending two weeks in DR this summer with a couple of buddies. We are hoping to do most of our trip on motorbikes and am trying to find some reputable rental agencies. I have found one or two places up north but nothing in SD. Not looking for big motorcycles but something in the 100-150 cc range, either a semi automatic or manual.

I understand the dangers involved with driving motorbikes anywhere and have read a lot about the traffic and concerns about driving in DR. I have been living and riding in big cities in Asia for almost a decade and deal with dangerous intense traffic on a daily basis. I understand the risks involved and can let you know in advance I appreciate your concerns.

If anyone has any info or contact details on rental companies in SD or the surrounding area please let me know.

Thanks!

Are your buddies also experienced riders? If not, I would say this is probably not a good idea and would stick to renting a vehicle, such as, a small SUV. I am sure you are aware that first, Domincans are not good drivers. There is very little courtesy shown on the road and many disregard, traffic patterns, lights and signs. The biggest vehicle has the right of way. If you were on the Samana Peninsula where the roads are open, except when coming through towns, I would say driving a motor bike would be fun but in SD, which you are not familiar with, it could be problematic. I know I won't dissuade you from your idea so be careful, drive defensively and most important of all GET ALL THE INSURANCE you can when you rent the bikes. You are setting yourself up as a target and don't even think about drinking and then getting on the bike. In the DR that is equivilent to playing Russian Rullet. Buenas Suarte me amigo! Give us a follow up report so we know you survived your trip?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I have been renting vehicles here for nine years. Cars not motos. I've been riding high performance touring bikes for 50 years and would not rent a moto here to cover long distances or get around in major cities. If you do rent, ensure you do the following to protect yourself financially. First, if your using your credit card for the collision damage waiver, make sure it covers motos and their full replacement value, otherwise pay the daily rate for the CDW.

Now the most important part. Make sure you get third party liability insurance from the rental agency. This covers you fully in the event you cause an accident. You may not be at fault but you could easily become the victim of a scam. Your not a citizen of the DR and you have no rights as a tourist. You will be expected to pay all accident costs and money to the officials to get out of jail free. Otherwise your passports will be confiscated and your not getting home until all debts are paid. You can be detained  here for up to three months in jail just for investigation purposes. The police officers here are not highly trained especially when it comes to forensics and road accident investigations. Innocent tourists have been jailed unlawfully here and scammed just for stopping to render assistance at an accident they didn't cause. Many people here are poor. If you cause an accident that affects a poor family, you become a walking wallet. 

Weigh up the risks I've just noted and do what you think is best. Also be aware that a lot of the rental motos are in poor condition and the police are cracking down on them and drivers who don't wear helmets. Ask the car rental agency people of they know of a good moto rental agency that also supplies third party liability insurance. If they don't, go to an insurance company and get it. 

The DR is a beautiful country with great people. Enjoy your trip but beware of where you are. Treat everyone with respect and you should be fine.

I rent a small subcompact from Budget Car Rental for $30 a day and my card covers the CDW. The third party liability insurance is $13 a day. The subcompact is big enough for four people. Motos for everyone will probably cost more and provide less protection. Make sure you have more than adequate medical travel coverage. The private hospitals here are expensive and you don't want to end up in a public hospital. 

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hey DR1 Crew,

Thanks!

You need to look into cobraboy's setup. It may cost a little more, but he'll show you more of the country than you ever will on your own.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Years and years of moto experience is not sufficient prep for DR riding. Not to mention the intense sun, dirt and humidity. Will you be wearing full protective gear? I am the gringo on your right driving the big suv with the a/c on hi freeze so as to keep my jumbo chilled. Uh oh, is that a rain storm up ahead? Renting motos to see the DR sound great. Let us know how it turns out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The insurance advice is well intended, I'm sure.

But find me a Moto rental place that offers insurance...
I'd be surprised