Jeep Rental

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi again everyone. We've decided to rent a jeep for most of our trip, except for a few days that we are going to do on motorcycle. A friend recommended a rental company which seems very reputable and has offered me a '95 Jeep Wrangler with automatic transmission for 9 days for $400, including an insurance policy with generous terms. Does this price seem outrageous or reasonable? Would you think it would be better to book in advance and have the security of a reservation or to show up and try to find something cheaper? How much am I likely to save by trying to find something cheaper once I arrive?
And for anyone who has toured by jeep, do you think this method of transport is well-suited for the DR?
Thanks,
Todd

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Good Choice

This is the best way to see the island if you ask me. Never know when there's going to be a downpour, and when you're on a bike that can be a drag. Sounds like a hard-top, which is a bonus. A lot of what you will (should) see has to be hiked to or ridden to on the back of a horse...it's nice to have a hard top to lock up the gear.

The $400 may be a little high, but there will always be people that will tell you they could have "got the same thing for half that much". If you ask me it is about right, you may be able to get a tracker (rag top) for a little cheaper in Sosua (like $300 for the 9 days), but I gotta tell you, the $400 isn't that far off, and the recommendation as it being reputable is important also.

PLEASE do yourself a favor, though, and check on the deductible for the insurance. Sometimes they are in excess of $2000USD...so although they all have insurance, do check what you would be responsible for...

Happy trails and safe driving.
marc

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks Marc. You saved me $40. I called the agent back and told him that I needed a lower price based on availability of cheaper jeeps elsewhere, and I managed to get him down to $360. I also checked out the deductible, which is $800, which I consider to be reasonable, and I think my credit card will pick that up anyway. So everything is now set and I'm looking forward to 9 days of driving around every corner of the island.
Peace,
Todd

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One piece of advice: Look over the vehicle very well before you sign the papers
another: is that $800 in dollars or pesos? BIG difference
Still another: I saw this here on the baord--> Get an oil change and filter changer before setting out. You might save yourself a major headache. Check all fluids...the oil change might be RD$400 or so..well worth the peace of mind.

HB

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
No, the $800 is in US dollars. I didn't expect it to be in pesos, because afterall that's only about $50. I think any deductible between $500 and $1000 is pretty reasonable.
Later.

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Yes, and they are much more expensive. If National lowered its rates, perhaps I'd consider using them.

Last edited:

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Jeep Rental Place

Webdev:
I don't want to post the name and give them my implicit endorsement until I've personally used their services. I want to personally experience and personally assure that this is a good company before I give my seal of approval.
However, as soon as I get back from the DR, which won't be in the too distant future, I will post a full review of all of the hotels and travel services I've used during my trip, including the jeep rental service.
I also tend to photograph extensively the places where I travel, and I will be posting a catalogue of pictures from all sorts of untouristed corners of the DR.
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
Todd

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
National Car Rental

The advantages with companies such as National is that they will offer you virtually new vehicles, and FULL no hassle-no deductible insurance with you want to.

Some friends of mine rented a car in Sosua a few years ago and insisted that I look on their behalf for a company that would offer such a service, even though they needed the car for only one day. It cost about $10-15 more than "privates" in Sosua. But at least we knew the car was fully covered and in perfect condition.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Oops....

Sorry, I obviously meant "if you want to" at the end of the first paragraph in my previous post....

cpa007

Dec 6, 2004
Jeep Wrangler

Can Any One Help Find A Reliable Company That Rents "jeep Wranglers " In Dominican Republic? I'm Looking For A 10 Day Rental.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
ok so where are you renting this from ???

Cause i wanted to rent a wrangler for a LONG TIME myself, but I'd need it to me from puerto plata..... anyone know, drop me one !

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
la_barbie said:

Cause i wanted to rent a wrangler for a LONG TIME myself, but I'd need it to me from puerto plata..... anyone know, drop me one !

Frank, the owner of the La Fuente bar on Avenida de las Hermanas Mirabal, near Long Beach in PP has a Wrangler which he rents out. Probably cheaper than any dealer or agency, but you wouldn't have the service or assistance in the event of an accident or breakdown. My experience in renting cars in the DR is that the prices for jeepetas of any size or make from the major companies are outrageous when compared to the price for an economy car. Adventure car rentals is a bit more reasonable.

I know the roads are bad, but by exercising a bit of caution I've gotten bye pretty well with the little cars. Even drove to Playa Rincon in a Volkswagen Gol. I wouldn't try that again without a 4wd. Thought I wasn't going to make it a couple of times.

cpa007

Dec 6, 2004
la_barbie said:

I want to rent it around Puerto Plata. Or buy one 95 and up

splarsen

Nov 24, 2004
Where do you get these rates

I have been online, asking people here and the cheapest thing I found at Punta Cana is from Europcar cheapo economy car that cost $400 with insurance for 7 days. Please help as the rate without insurance is 253, but you need there insurance to get there liability insurance so visa etc doesn't help.

Ephry

Jun 27, 2002
I am very interested in finding out about Jeep Wragler or CJ rentals, specially if there is an option to buy. Does anyone know any other sources?

E