Pickpockets on Cabarete beach

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A friend and a group of were in Ojo's on Cabarete beach last night.  He had his iPhone in the front pocket of a fairly tight fitting pair of jeans and was consciously checking it very few minutes.  He was bumped into by someone in the melee of the crowd and before he knew it, his phone was gone.

His friend was also relieved of his wallet that was in his back pocket.  A very slick operation indeed.

Shame these thieves don't know the value of a stolen iPhone.  For parts only as my friend has since icloud locked it.

This is a public information service.  I don't know why my original post was deleted?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hard to know it was an iPhone if it was in the pants pocket.

I doubt this band of Fagan's boys would be dull enough to steal one....
Being as slick as you say they are.

My daughter lost her passport in Paris to a group of little Armenians.

Can you believe it Daddy, children pick pocketed me ??

I told her to reread Oliver Twist 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wash my hands clean. spent all morning in the kitchen baking banana and plum bread, then making coconut tiramisu and currently in a process of preparing pascha :)

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Pickpockets are in Cabarete and Sousa and are usually women. These women approach men and immediately start touching his body. As one hand is touching his body the other hand is going in his pocket. Just beware of women that are drawn to you like you're a magnet and start touching you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe it's a bad thing to say but i kinda admire the skill. it's a bit like being street magician. masterful sleight of hand. maybe it's because i'm very clumsy myself. and you know, in this case it's likely done by someone who otherwise cannot even use a can opener.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Curly 
It's been a lifelong curse for me..... a chick magnet 

No matter how or where or how often I probe, 
For the life of me , I can't find that OFF button.....

On them or me

Hahaha..... 

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
maybe it's a bad thing to say but i kinda admire the skill. it's a bit like being street magician. masterful sleight of hand. maybe it's because i'm very clumsy myself. and you know, in this case it's likely done by someone who otherwise cannot even use a can opener.

Part of the secret is doing it in a country where the authorities either don't care or want a piece of the action for not finding their stuff. At the risk of mentioning another thread, the biggest threat to tourism in the DR is the DR itself.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Pickpockets are in Cabarete and Sousa and are usually women. These women approach men and immediately start touching his body. As one hand is touching his body the other hand is going in his pocket. Just beware of women that are drawn to you like you're a magnet and start touching you.

One option might be going commando while wearing shorts with the pocket linings removed. Could go one way or the other. She might pull away in disgust or become even more friendly. Lol! 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One option might be going commando while wearing shorts with the pocket linings removed. Could go one way or the other. She might pull away in disgust or become even more friendly. Lol! 

15q5amh.gif

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Haha
I thought of using the old 'bald headed mouse' trick....
Couldn't get the words down.

Thanks for help 

Dusting off the old "Want a little popcorn" trick. I was so disappointed when the did away with the folding popcorn boxes some years ago.:D
Of course I had to order the small box.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A couple of years ago i was out with friends in Cabarete during Semana Satán. At one point a girl came over to one of my friends who she knew and told him to be very careful with our money and phones. She had come over with some guys from Moca whose only purpose in being there was to pickpocket the dense crowd.

Feb 7, 2007
i wash my hands clean. spent all morning in the kitchen baking banana and plum bread, then making coconut tiramisu and currently in a process of preparing pascha :)

Please send some, I will pay for Metro shipping fee.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
When I'm in Bermuda I wear these... However, when I'm in the DR, it's zipper time......
2a8i3jr.jpg
2zsbkw4.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A friend and a group of were in Ojo's on Cabarete beach last night.  He had his iPhone in the front pocket of a fairly tight fitting pair of jeans and was consciously checking it very few minutes.  He was bumped into by someone in the melee of the crowd and before he knew it, his phone was gone.

His friend was also relieved of his wallet that was in his back pocket.  A very slick operation indeed.

Shame these thieves don't know the value of a stolen iPhone.  For parts only as my friend has since icloud locked it.

This is a public information service.  I don't know why my original post was deleted?

They come out of the woodwork during the Holidays. Gringos beware!!!!!!!!!!