Fire Hits Iberia in SPM

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
There was a fire early this morning in the supermarket Iberia in San Pedro de Macoris. Damage is being assessed.
As reported in Macorisdelmar, and then translated using Google translate:

http://www.macorisdelmar.com/notici...almacenes-iberia-de-san-pedro-de-macoris.html

A fire affected in the first hours of this Saturday Santo the warehouse area of the store Stores Iberia of this city.
It was not immediately said that it produced the fire that caught the attention of Petromacorisans.
The fire started after 6 o'clock on Saturday morning and even at 7 o'clock it was still burning.
Units of the fire brigades of this city and other towns helped to quell the fire to prevent it from spreading.
A great number of curious people have appeared at the place of the event, in the Avenue Independencia and other surroundings of the store located in that way with the Sánchez street.

Feb 7, 2007
I spoke with one of the Spanish managers here at Iberia Higuey. It's a complete loss, 100% write-off, there is nothing to salvage. The SPM hypermarket will need to be rebuilt from the grounds up. The SPM location was also the import center for all the other Iberias, so you may wish to stock up on your favorite import items that you find in your local Iberia. It may be a two or three months until the next shipments comes in - they have to order in Spain, process, ship, import, distribute. The computer systems are down so also fiscal invoices are not working systemwide as the data center was at SPM location. It may be a week or more until the systems are back up so if you need fiscal invoices for your purchases, shop elsewhere.

This whole thing is a pity and I would not completely discard a sour competitor behind this, as Iberia started importinga lot of stuff from Spain about a year or so ago and the prices are 40-50% lower than similar import articles in Jumbo or La Sirena (a... and the import center being in SPM).

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is a huge loss for the city of San Pedro. So sad to hear this. Iberia is where I did my major shopping when I lived in JD.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I am sure they will rebuild. In the meantime there are a lot of people out of a job and others with no place close by to shop.
A huge blow that is beyond comprehension for this city. A rebuild? It would be appreciated, but realistically, probably years away. We all know how long projects take in the DR. Remember, the Hotel Maxoris on the malecon (formerly Howard Johnson) has been unoccupied since January of '14. Iberia had been here for over 50 years. It was only in the last 4-5 that they finished expanding, adding the second level, and the adjoining parking garage. They had purchased 3-4 more parcels of land and were just finishing converting those into parking garages as well. Adding to possible complications is there location within the Central Zone of the city, which has historically protected sites. This is what slowed down their previous expansion. A complete demolition, followed by reconstruct? Nothing is impossible, but it will be highly complicated, disrupt San Pedro de Macoris as never seen, and be well off into the future, if to be.
At least 400 direct employees will be out of jobs, not to mention the offset economic factors. Motoconchos, taxis, and vendors. Petromacorisanos, students of UCE, and those of the expat communities of Juan Dolio and Guayacanes will have to utilize Zaglul and Jumbo for now. Zaglul (2 locations) is limited in their offerings, and Jumbo is overpriced for locals, but these are options. You'll want to allot more time for your visits to either of these locations.
A severe economic blow to a city that could least afford it. We'll see what happens. Time will tell.

Feb 7, 2007
Looks like the ground floor is not that much damaged. They could possibly clean up the first (ground) floor while tearing down the second floor where it seems most damage was done to. Possibly in 2-3 months the first floor could be operational again.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Looks like the ground floor is not that much damaged. They could possibly clean up the first (ground) floor while tearing down the second floor where it seems most damage was done to. Possibly in 2-3 months the first floor could be operational again.

WOW, you can determine that just by looking at a few photos online?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;4jmy4xBPVqM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmy4xBPVqM[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;Kqt2kIrU8hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqt2kIrU8hc[/video]

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Had to stock up on whole filets if it's going to be a while. The cryopac filets are incredible.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Too bad, such a loss. Interesting to hear the woman Fire Chief explaining they were trying to get a pump so that they could get water to the site. It's a sad case, but not surprising. I am sure the fire codes include ceiling water valves etc.. right? You would think a smoke detector would set off a flood of water upstairs. So many working hard to put out the flames.

From now on, I'm going to check out the fire systems at Jumbo etc...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I would love to start a business installing fire suppression systems here, but I don't think it'd get enough interest. So many resorts need a basic paintjob, and flood when it rains too much in the nearby swamp. Funding for fire suppression would be nonexistent, I'm afraid.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Sorry for the delay, but I was on vacation for 30 days. ;)
Iberia has reopened their pharmacy division across from the former site. It's located across the street from the former front entrance, on Calle Sanchez, in what used to be the bag check location.