Motorbike Rental in Las Terranes

TravelerCP

Apr 15, 2017
Hey DR1 Crew,

I am going to be sending two weeks in DR this summer with a couple of buddies. We are hoping to do most of our trip on motorbikes and am trying to find some reputable rental agencies. I have been trying to find something in SD but it seems like bike rentals are just do not exist in the capital. Second option is to find somewhere in LT that rents motorbikes. Not looking for big motorcycles but something in the 100-250 cc range, either a semi automatic or manual.

I understand the dangers involved with driving motorbikes anywhere and have read a lot about the traffic and concerns about driving in DR. I have been living and riding in big cities in Asia for almost a decade and deal with dangerous intense traffic on a daily basis. I understand the risks involved and can let you know in advance I appreciate your concerns.

If anyone has any info or contact details on rental companies in LT or the surrounding area please let me know.

Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey DR1 Crew,

I am going to be sending two weeks in DR this summer with a couple of buddies. We are hoping to do most of our trip on motorbikes and am trying to find some reputable rental agencies. I have been trying to find something in SD but it seems like bike rentals are just do not exist in the capital. Second option is to find somewhere in LT that rents motorbikes. Not looking for big motorcycles but something in the 100-250 cc range, either a semi automatic or manual.

I understand the dangers involved with driving motorbikes anywhere and have read a lot about the traffic and concerns about driving in DR. I have been living and riding in big cities in Asia for almost a decade and deal with dangerous intense traffic on a daily basis. I understand the risks involved and can let you know in advance I appreciate your concerns.

If anyone has any info or contact details on rental companies in LT or the surrounding area please let me know.

Thanks!

If you are going to LT there are many places you can rent a motor bike or ATV. Choose one when you get into town. There is a lot of info on-line if you search motorbike rentals in Las Terrenas DR.

TravelerCP

Apr 15, 2017
If you are going to LT there are many places you can rent a motor bike or ATV. Choose one when you get into town. There is a lot of info on-line if you search motorbike rentals in Las Terrenas DR.

Thanks LTSteve! Struggling to find any current info online despite my searches. If you have any details about what types of bikes are available, prices or any outfits or companys that you would recommend I would love to hear about it.

Thanks again

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Try your google searches in Spanish. Most rental opportunities are not run by gringos and therefore won't have an English presence on the Web.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Renting a motorbike and riding around is like playing russian roulette. Just saying

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Renting a motorbike and riding around is like playing russian roulette. Just saying

If it intimidates you stay away form it, but for grown ups it is not bad. Where I found it intimidating was in the Bahamas where they drive on the wrong side of the street. Took that rental back in minutes!
Der Fish

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
I have a phone number of a reputable place but you would need to be able to speak Spanish or French. 809-782-2642. I've had lots of friends rent from there and have been happy. 

TravelerCP

Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for the information everyone. Found some contact info for a company up there and got a quote. Yamaha 200- renting three bikes for 10 days. Guy said he could do $25 a day with helmets, insurance and assistance if needed. Does that sounds like a reasonable price?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Unless you really love bikes and the riding experience, $25 for a car for 3 people is also a good option.

Two things to remember, one is the long distance riding in the sun (need good protection) and heavy rain (I say forget it, hard, with all the holes in the roads).

Second is make sure you have good locks and/or find a VERY safe place every time you park your bikes - they seem to find legs in DR, specially if belong to a foreigner (this one is a bit different from Asia, i.e. worse).

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I have found searching online for small companies in the DR to be nothing but frustrating.

If you want the best local rate, try to make friends with someone at your resort. Have him negotiate the rate for you with one of his buddies who rents these things. They all know someone.

After he gets you the best rate, throw him $25 for his efforts. You will both be happy.

Amy1

Apr 23, 2013
As an add on to original question, does anyone know of golf cart rentals in LT? I am arriving this summer, and will have my dad along. He has been through chemo for the last four months and is looking forward to the R&R in the DR, however, he is a little less able than usual, and would really benefit from the easy mobility provided by use of a golf cart rather than ATV or scooter.....anyone have any info on something like this?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have found searching online for small companies in the DR to be nothing but frustrating.

If you want the best local rate, try to make friends with someone at your resort. Have him negotiate the rate for you with one of his buddies who rents these things. They all know someone.

After he gets you the best rate, throw him $25 for his efforts. You will both be happy.

I am glad you had success with that, I find every time there is a middle man they need a cut and the price goes up, this is not just in DR but everywhere in the world.

The best is to know the price or approximate range and then you can deal with anyone, for example tell the middle man to go and get you so and so price and if he could you will give him a tip etc. - otherwise you get ripped off by accepting anything they say (and according to them is the best price in the world... lol).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
As an add on to original question, does anyone know of golf cart rentals in LT? I am arriving this summer, and will have my dad along. He has been through chemo for the last four months and is looking forward to the R&R in the DR, however, he is a little less able than usual, and would really benefit from the easy mobility provided by use of a golf cart rather than ATV or scooter.....anyone have any info on something like this?

Never seen golf cart rental in LT. Probably better off with a small car. The weather may be rainy and a golf cart would probably not give you much protection.