european passport for dominican child

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, here is my question?
I have a child with a dominican girl. I had a "few problems" with her after the child was born. I'm very happy to have this little cute boy BTW. Because I had so many problems with her I went to court to get custody of the child. Which I got... Now I want to give my boy a french passport (Im french myself, nobody is perfect :) )
To start the process I must get the autorisation from the mother. This is done through an official document she must sign and then which must be legalised... Has anyone been through that process and so might have an exemple of that document? :)

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Go to the immigration office in Santo Domingo (On the Malecon - bottom of Churchill). That is where you get the document.

Simple process - you just need to get it notarized

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Go to the immigration office in Santo Domingo (On the Malecon - bottom of Churchill). That is where you get the document.

Simple process - you just need to get it notarized

ok :) but I live on the NC so if anyone has that kind of document it d be appreciated :)

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Yes but to leave the country with a child for the first time you still need to get permission notarized by the mother. I just got my daughter her British passport and being as it was the first time of her leaving the country they asked for the mothers permission. (my wife was with me so we didnt need it - but they still asked.)

Just my experience...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes but to leave the country with a child for the first time you still need to get permission notarized by the mother. I just got my daughter her British passport and being as it was the first time of her leaving the country they asked for the mothers permission. (my wife was with me so we didnt need it - but they still asked.)

Just my experience...

The question was how to obtain French citizenship for his child, the OP never mentioned about leaving the DR with his kid.

Feb 7, 2007
In my country the process is not as straightforward, in order to get the coveted red passport it's a multi-step process. You can either do it via embassy (and the closest one is in Cuba*) or in person back home.

* Now I don't know which one is worse, embassy in Cuba as we have or in Mexico as Italians have.

So I also had to get the mother fill out the paperwork (that she agrees with dual citizenship) and I had to get the original birth certificate apostilled and then everything legally translated (BC + apostille page). After that, a "certificate of citizenship" was issued (took about a week, this is basically something saying that the child has the right for citizenship). After that, I had to take this certificate of citizenship + another original birth certificate apostilled and then everything legally translated (BC + apostille page again - because the other office which issued the certificate of citizenship kept the first original), after which a new BC in my country was issued - took about 2 months. Only after that step, with the back-from-home BC, it was possible to apply for the coveted red passport for her which allows visa-free travel to almost anywhere in the world.