Transportation options from Santiago to Dajabon

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
Dear all,

We will be traveling to the DR this year for the first time. Among others, we will stay in Santiago. From Santiago, we want to do a day trip to the market in Dajabon.

We don't know how to get Dajabon. First, we thought to take the Caribetours bus but the departure time is too late (9 am).

- If we opt for a rentacar (which we don't feel comfortable doing but we might change our mind once we're there), do you know of a reliable local rentacar company that we could contact?
- Or, do you know someone who will visit the market and would be willing to take the two of us?
- Or, is there an agency organizing tours?
- Any other option you could suggest?

Thank you,
Emina

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am not positive but I think there are busses from 30 de Marzo that go to Dajabon. It is not a difficult drive but if this is your first visit, unless you have driven in other 3rd world countries, I wouldn't suggest it.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
IIRC, most rental car companies won't let you take their vehicle into Haiti (if you were planning on doing so as part of the trip?). 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I am not positive but I think there are busses from 30 de Marzo that go to Dajabon. It is not a difficult drive but if this is your first visit, unless you have driven in other 3rd world countries, I wouldn't suggest it.

It´s been years since I rode them, but the "30 de Marzo" buses go from there to the Rotunda and then buses to Dajabon.

You may have to transfer to another bus at the Rotunda.

Someone with more recent experience hopefully can verify.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Emina,
Matilda is a long time, highly respected member of this group.

Weigh her advice carefully....it has value

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
BTW if you are brave enough to go, take a copy of your passport as on the way back you will be stopped and military will board the bus looking for illegal Haitians and everyone has to show their documents. Second, do not take a bag and keep any money on an inside pocket as the market is full of pickpockets.

Matilda

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
You can get a guagua from Santiago - they start around 6 am. The stop is what they call the rotunda only it isn't a roundabout any more its big traffic lights. Any taxi driver will know where it is. Think carefully before you do it - but it will be an experience for sure.

http://yoursaucepans.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-market-in-dajabon-never-again.html

Matilda

Dear Matilda, thank you very much for the link. From what I have read so far, the market is really not for everyone. However, I want to leave the DR knowing that I have not only had a good time at the beach. As you said, I anticipate it will be a very special experience.

My concern is, if we take the guaga, will we have to change guagas on the way or is there a line that goes directly to the market?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Dear Matilda, thank you very much for the link. From what I have read so far, the market is really not for everyone. However, I want to leave the DR knowing that I have not only had a good time at the beach. As you said, I anticipate it will be a very special experience.

My concern is, if we take the guaga, will we have to change guagas on the way or is there a line that goes directly to the market?

There is a twice weekly lively border market in Pedernales. Combining it with your trip to Bahai de Las Aguillas is a suggestion.

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
BTW if you are brave enough to go, take a copy of your passport as on the way back you will be stopped and military will board the bus looking for illegal Haitians and everyone has to show their documents. Second, do not take a bag and keep any money on an inside pocket as the market is full of pickpockets.

Matilda

I guess the same goes for cameras, i.e, I should forget about taking my DSLR cam there?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I guess the same goes for cameras, i.e, I should forget about taking my DSLR cam there?

You just have to be super careful as it is so crowded there are people pushing up against you all the time - like being in a sea of people. The bus is direct - no need to change and it is one straight road - highway 1 and not in bad condition.

Matilda

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Dear all,

We will be traveling to the DR this year for the first time. Among others, we will stay in Santiago. From Santiago, we want to do a day trip to the market in Dajabon.

We don't know how to get Dajabon. First, we thought to take the Caribetours bus but the departure time is too late (9 am).

- If we opt for a rentacar (which we don't feel comfortable doing but we might change our mind once we're there), do you know of a reliable local rentacar company that we could contact?
- Or, do you know someone who will visit the market and would be willing to take the two of us?
- Or, is there an agency organizing tours?
- Any other option you could suggest?

Thank you,
Emina

......Emina, I live in Santiago and have made the trip from santiago to Dajabon a number of times, a friend of mine has family in Dajabon. I think a day trip there would be almost impossible, even in a private car. the bus is harder. If this is your first trip to the DR. I would recommend a place closer to Santiago. Remember Dajabon is right on the river of massacres, that is the border with haiti, one of the main border crossing points is the bridge over that river......Doc....

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
......Emina, I live in Santiago and have made the trip from santiago to Dajabon a number of times, a friend of mine has family in Dajabon. I think a day trip there would be almost impossible, even in a private car. the bus is harder. If this is your first trip to the DR. I would recommend a place closer to Santiago. Remember Dajabon is right on the river of massacres, that is the border with haiti, one of the main border crossing points is the bridge over that river......Doc....

Thank you for your answer. I am afraid I didn't quite understand why it is almost impossible to do it in one day? From what I read it is not that far (2-3 hours in one direction maximum). I was thinking, if we go early in the morning, say 6 am with a guaga, as Matilda suggested, we should be there around 10 am at the latest. We would stay there for a couple of hours and then take the last caribetur bus at 3.15 pm to return. You don't think this is feasible?

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
You just have to be super careful as it is so crowded there are people pushing up against you all the time - like being in a sea of people. The bus is direct - no need to change and it is one straight road - highway 1 and not in bad condition.

Matilda

This was very useful, thank you. This might be a stupid question but since I have not been there before, do guagas have signs stating the direction/arrival city or how else can we be sure to find the right one?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This was very useful, thank you. This might be a stupid question but since I have not been there before, do guagas have signs stating the direction/arrival city or how else can we be sure to find the right one?

You just go to the bus station for Dajabon at what was the rotunda. There are buses there for Dajabon, Mao, Santiago Rodriguez. As you get out of the cab people will run up to you and ask you where you want to go and will put you on the bus! They are super helpful so never worry about finding the bus. The buses are lined up at the back so not on the road and they all have a sign in the front saying where they are going. The Dajabon bus said Dajabon funnily enough. Some say La Linea which is what they call Highway 1.

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Emina:

1. Yes, you can take a bus from 30 de Marzo to Dajabon. No biggie. If you have some Spanish you can find out when the return trip is scheduled.

2. You can take an Uber driver (I have a couple of numbers for their personal service) who is at your beck and call.

3. I even have a place for you to eat!! It is good and neat and modern,.,..

4. As for the Bi-Nacional Market, I do not think it is worth your time or the hassle of going there. Honestly, I take students there almost every year and have yet to see any benefit from rubbing elbows and butts with sweaty people all hustling to make a buck. There is absolutely nothing there for you to buy unless you run a second-hand clothing store..

5. All that said there are things much more "Dominican" right here in Santiago (Unless our freakin' mayor changes things before you get here).. There are two local markets: the Mercado Modelo on Sol Street where you can buy trinkets for the folks back home and Los Hospedajes where real Dominicans go to buy veggies and other odds and ends, such as cures for a broken heart or fruitless love....they are called "botánicas" and are a marvel of old world and folk medicine.

Cordially,

HB (been there and done that)

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
You just go to the bus station for Dajabon at what was the rotunda. There are buses there for Dajabon, Mao, Santiago Rodriguez. As you get out of the cab people will run up to you and ask you where you want to go and will put you on the bus! They are super helpful so never worry about finding the bus. The buses are lined up at the back so not on the road and they all have a sign in the front saying where they are going. The Dajabon bus said Dajabon funnily enough. Some say La Linea which is what they call Highway 1.

Matilda

This is extremely useful, thank you very much!

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
Emina:

1. Yes, you can take a bus from 30 de Marzo to Dajabon. No biggie. If you have some Spanish you can find out when the return trip is scheduled.

2. You can take an Uber driver (I have a couple of numbers for their personal service) who is at your beck and call.

3. I even have a place for you to eat!! It is good and neat and modern,.,..

4. As for the Bi-Nacional Market, I do not think it is worth your time or the hassle of going there. Honestly, I take students there almost every year and have yet to see any benefit from rubbing elbows and butts with sweaty people all hustling to make a buck. There is absolutely nothing there for you to buy unless you run a second-hand clothing store..

5. All that said there are things much more "Dominican" right here in Santiago (Unless our freakin' mayor changes things before you get here).. There are two local markets: the Mercado Modelo on Sol Street where you can buy trinkets for the folks back home and Los Hospedajes where real Dominicans go to buy veggies and other odds and ends, such as cures for a broken heart or fruitless love....they are called "botánicas" and are a marvel of old world and folk medicine.

Cordially,

HB (been there and done that)

Thank you, hillbilly, for so much helpful info!

2. Uber driver - do you know how much they would charge for a roundtrip to Dajabon?
3. Please let me know about the place to eat!
4. I appreciate your opinion. It is just that I have read so much about it, the history that is connected to the market and the relationship with Haiti in general. I would love to get a glimpse of this Dominican reality. We don't plan to buy anything specific. And, since for the first part of our trip we will stay at beaches (as well as after Santiago), I think we will be relaxed enough to go through the hustle:)
5. Wow, thank you for the tip. We will have one full day and two nights in Santiago to explore the city. I'll definitely put the two markets on the bucket list. Do you know on which days they're open?