Another DR Gov Agency not doing their Job

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Surprise, surprise. Your Cafe Santo Domingo is made from imported beans. The Agricultural agency in charge of trying to assit the coffee growers failed miserably to aid them in fighting a blight and now there is virtually no industry left. There has been no assistance and no action in trying to get this important industry back on its feet. The DR gov should be ashamed of itself and it lack concern for the industry and the people who earned a living from it. This angers me and also saddens me at the total lack of concern by DR officials.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not surprising from a Govt that can't keep the roads from falling apart. The poor coffee bean farmers don't stand a chance against the foreign interests with deep pockets and the local interests with a need to fill their even deeper pockets.

It is a shame that there is not more publicity of the fact that the "system" here is still broken - that is, however, one of the first lessons learned when one lives here.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Surprise, surprise. Your Cafe Santo Domingo is made from imported beans. The Agricultural agency in charge of trying to assit the coffee growers failed miserably to aid them in fighting a blight and now there is virtually no industry left. There has been no assistance and no action in trying to get this important industry back on its feet. The DR gov should be ashamed of itself and it lack concern for the industry and the people who earned a living from it. This angers me and also saddens me at the total lack of concern by DR officials.

No fui Yo!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is not enough gubmint money to rehab the coffee industry, and the market price of that resistant coffee beans (seeds) is in very short supply.

Cafe SD not only imports beans, the domestic beans they buy for domestic coffee are low quality beans that cannot be exported. Why anyone thinks that nasty, bitter, acidic swill is good defies logic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He has said that before... and faced criticism for saying so

Personally, I agree, Santo Domingo coffee is overhyped 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Personally, I agree, Santo Domingo coffee is overhyped 

Agreed. We stumbled across a coffee from Santiago called Serrano and loved it enough that we ordered 40 pounds of beans from them. Then my sister-in-law gave us a pound of ground coffee from Bravo, their own store brand, that tastes the same.

Try either, I think you'll love it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bravo has excellent house brands, the dog food for one... bleach, shampoo... you name it

Our house girl is mesmerized by the stuff - prefers them to name brands

Selltech

Jun 26, 2015
I like a few that are from Jarabacoa in which I have actually been to. I really don't like the SD at all. (That means a lot coming from a guy who drinks about 4 large french presses a day, if not more)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For me, it all comes down to what cafe is available on the shelves at the store locally. I already import my underwear and socks, I'm not importing coffee too... :)

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I like a few that are from Jarabacoa in which I have actually been to. I really don't like the SD at all. (That means a lot coming from a guy who drinks about 4 large french presses a day, if not more)

If you like fine coffee, try Ciao in Santo Domingo for Filicori Zecchini.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Mama Inez is a great coffee. It is also roasted and packaged in SD. The owners told me it was locally grown as well but who knows.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Recently picked up an orange-colored package of Caracolillo brand of Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo), enjoyed it. Think you can't go wrong when you buy the coffee in grains, and grind it yourself. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Recently picked up an orange-colored package of Caracolillo brand of Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo), enjoyed it.

I'm currently working my way through a bag of Caracolillo. Took me a while to figure out exactly what it is. I find it very mellow, lacking the bite that I normally associate with coffee. Kind of reminiscent of the days when chicory was all the craze. Next bag is Monte Real which I enjoy due to its aroma that at least to me has hints of chocolate.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mama Inez is a great coffee. It is also roasted and packaged in SD. The owners told me it was locally grown as well but who knows.

i second that. i no longer drink coffee, but 10 years ago i really enjoyed Mama Ines. if the formulation has remained constant over the years, it is good coffee.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Coffee is an acquired taste. The Caracolillo coffee of Induban is the one found regularly in campo homes. It IS a light coffee. 

Induban also sells stronger coffee in their dark brown bags. 

My recommendation basically is to prefer grinding your own coffee so you can see where the coffee is coming from. 

When shopping look for the brands that sell grains. 

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'm currently working my way through a bag of Caracolillo. Took me a while to figure out exactly what it is. I find it very mellow, lacking the bite that I normally associate with coffee. Kind of reminiscent of the days when chicory was all the craze. Next bag is Monte Real which I enjoy due to its aroma that at least to me has hints of chocolate.

I like the Monte Real organic and i also buy a ball of organic cacao and shaved a little to mix with the coffee while it's brewing. Use good honey and a little coconut milk and you have a healthy cafe! Put it all in a blender and its a homemade Cappuccino