Frogs

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I dont know...... why are people afraid of spiders back home ? .....

And I would tend to disagree..... my wife just picks all the creepy crawlies up and tosses them out ( or kills them if they are nasty like cienpies )..... and yes frogs are included in creepy crawlies in my book :) , along with snakes, mice, rats.... :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, it's something about the skin and the liquid they release that is spooking dominicans. it can irritate the skin, apparently. and some toads can be poisonous when ingested (by pets).
miesposo also hates touching them. when we get one of those giant ass toads in the back garden (where dogs reside) i carry it out. never had a problem even though few "peed" on my hand.
we have few living in the front garden, peacefully sharing the space with cats.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yeah, it's something about the skin and the liquid they release that is spooking dominicans. it can irritate the skin, apparently. and some toads can be poisonous when ingested (by pets).
miesposo also hates touching them. when we get one of those giant ass toads in the back garden (where dogs reside) i carry it out. never had a problem even though few "peed" on my hand.
we have few living in the front garden, peacefully sharing the space with cats.

i saw a documentary once in which these toads were feasting on giant scorpions. maybe these toads here can eat centipedes, which would be a plus..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can pick up the cane toads if you are careful, don't squeeze. If the toad becomes alarmed, it will release a milky white liquid. This is the poison that proves disastrous for pets who chomp down on these toads. Wash your hands after handling (or use rubber gloves, even better), trying not to rub your eyes, face, mouth until you do so. The poison is a strong hallucinogen for people and too much can make you sick.

Be careful using a whacking stick. Whacking can result in a toxic spray that you inhale, get in your eyes or mouth. Best/most humane way to exterminate: Place toad(s) in a plastic bucket in the fridge for a few hours to put them into hibernation, then in the freezer for 12 or more hours until frozen solid and dead. Dispose of in the garbage.

For those predisposed to watching documentaries, avoid licking the toads.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never took any precautions handling the toads. never a problem. you just need to be gentle. maybe they know i ain't gonna hurt 'em. cute things.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Why are Dominicans afraid of frogs ? The wife saw one in the house and lost her dam mind.

Not Dominican but I am afraid of frogs, they gross me out. I don't want their slimy things to touch my beautiful sensitive skin :cheeky:

PS: DV8 would find a dirty rat cute, so she is no indication of western women reaction lol

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
i never took any precautions handling the toads. never a problem. you just need to be gentle. maybe they know i ain't gonna hurt 'em. cute things.

s1ta55.jpg

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not Dominican but I am afraid of frogs, they gross me out. I don't want their slimy things to touch my beautiful sensitive skin :cheeky:

PS: DV8 would find a dirty rat cute, so she is no indication of western women reaction lol

I had to laugh when I read this. With graduate and undergraduate degrees in Biology and thirty years teaching it, including lab, I couldn't begin to tell you how many frogs I have handled. Some were preserved in formaldehyde and others were alive.

This Western woman has handled not only frogs but also sharks, turtles and even living cockroaches in various lab courses. I have not had the choice to be afraid or grossed out.

:D

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I had to laugh when I read this. With graduate and undergraduate degrees in Biology and thirty years teaching it, including lab, I couldn't begin to tell you how many frogs I have handled. Some were preserved in formaldehyde and others were alive.

This Western woman has handled not only frogs but also sharks, turtles and even living cockroaches in various lab courses. I have not had the choice to be afraid or grossed out.

:D

Ah ah, you had a choice, pick another major :D

I ate frogs (taste just like chicken breast by the way, a waste of time if you ask me, too little meat), it s their uncooked skin that grosses me out. :cool:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

.....always the two legged ones I wonder about.......