Edenorte upgrade for remaining part of Cabarete not yet 24/7

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte has stated that they are going to provide 24/7 service to the remaining circuit in Cabarete not already 24/7. Work is being done to install new power poles, etc. for Circuit CABT102

I wonder how they are going to get people to pay?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Edenorte has stated that they are going to provide 24/7 service to the remaining circuit in Cabarete not already 24/7. Work is being done to install new power poles, etc. for Circuit CABT102

Edesur just bestowed 24/7 power to a mountain road near us that goes through three or four tiny towns. Along with the service came shiny new meters for every shack and business, most on the house, but often 5-6 bunched on a pole.

Does the area you refer to have a lot of people on flat contracts? That might be their plan, meters that can be turned off for non-payment. Where we live almost everyone has flat contracts, some paying as little as 150 pesos a month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the area in question has a lot of people that just hook up to power and have no contracts. But I really don't know for certain since I don't visit the location where most of the people live. The last time they tried to install meters there, the technicians were forced out under fear for their lives. They even had guards provided by a government group that was supposed to enforce the laws regarding theft of services.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens next regarding payment plans.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They installed meters in Callejon de la Loma, where many locals live, about a year ago. No problems with residents as far as I know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte made an announcement of having a community meeting yesterday at 5 PM.

Then they cancelled the meeting.

Why would I not expect that?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They installed meters in Callejon de la Loma, where many locals live, about a year ago. No problems with residents as far as I know.

That's a "high rent" district in comparison to where most of the people on the circuit live.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

They will raise the electric rates on the honest people to pay for the dishonest. I am sure their are other countries that have progressive rates but I've never seen flat rates.
There is a lot of theft of power and water in Puerto Rico too.
Now in the US with new smart meters they check a blocks usage vs billing and then they can isolate it down to discover whose stealing.
Had a friend, who was an electrician, got caught stealing. He had bi-passed the meter by cutting into the service in the attic. They estimated his usage of theft since he owned the property then he had to pay that plus a $10,000 fine to get a new service drop connected. Cost him over $25 K.
He's still dishonest and it always comes back on him.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just where do the people on this new circuit live?

It isn't a new circuit, just new wiring (and new meters for many) to bring it up to "24/7" according to Edenorte.

Circuit CABT102 is areas of La Cienaga, La Calonia, Callejon de la Loma and Costa Azul in Cabarete.

Electricity in the DR is already expensive because of the extensive theft.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It isn't a new circuit, just new wiring (and new meters for many) to bring it up to "24/7" according to Edenorte.

Circuit CABT102 is areas of La Cienaga, La Calonia, Callejon de la Loma and Costa Azul in Cabarete.

Electricity in the DR is already expensive because of the extensive theft.
Amen to too expensive

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A related question is this: Will you pay more for electricity if you are in a 24/7 power area versus one where there are blackouts every day? The rates for power are the same for all circuits of Edenorte independent of how long power is on each day.

The answer is likely to be no if you have a battery inverter system. That is because you are likely to use power all day long, with some of that coming from a battery/inverter system that will only be 70 to 80% efficient and you pay for that lack of efficiency. You are paying more for the convenience of that back up system.

Of course if you run AC 24 hours a day, then you could be paying more than you did if your power was out 8 hours a day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from my experience i can tell you that having 24/7 power (almost ;) ) costs us less than previous circuit type. not by much but the bills are a bit lower.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
from my experience i can tell you that having 24/7 power (almost ;) ) costs us less than previous circuit type. not by much but the bills are a bit lower.

Exactly as I would have expected. Less energy is spent in the batteries and inverter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Exactly as I would have expected. Less energy is spent in the batteries and inverter.

in all honesty we have more things connected to the inversor than many other households: fridge, electric gate, water pump. plus all the usual stuff like lights, computers, fans, alarm and so on.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At 2.5 times the price

True. The electricity here is very expensive. But the DR cannot claim the highest price per kWh. There are still a few countries ahead of it. The DR does have the most unreliable electricity in this zone by far and away.