Caribetour Bus and Bavaro Express

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
On our first trip to the DR we will be traveling with Caribetour buses between cities. We will also use the Bavaro Express from SD to Punta Cana airport. We will have our luggage with us.

For both Caribetours and Bavaro Express, will it be sufficient if we just show up at the bus station at the day of departure and buy our tickets on the spot? Is there any need to reserve tickets in advance? Is it sufficient to be at the station an hour/half an hour earlier? Plus, our luggage will be no problem, right?

Thank you!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Be careful and keep an eye on your luggage, pick a seat where you can see out the window to view/watch the undercarriage bin area at the source of the trip and at intermediate stops. Anyone could possibly walk up and remove the luggage.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
On our first trip to the DR we will be traveling with Caribetour buses between cities. We will also use the Bavaro Express from SD to Punta Cana airport. We will have our luggage with us.

For both Caribetours and Bavaro Express, will it be sufficient if we just show up at the bus station at the day of departure and buy our tickets on the spot? Is there any need to reserve tickets in advance? Is it sufficient to be at the station an hour/half an hour earlier? Plus, our luggage will be no problem, right?

Thank you!

If you are planning on using the bus for most of your transportation needs I would try to pack as lightly as you can. Dragging luggage around for 3 weeks will not be fun. I am not sure you can buy bus tickets in advanced. Show up at the bus at least 30-60 minutes in advance to be able to get a seat. The buses are very nice, comfortable and airconditioned and relatively inexpensive. Good luck and good travels.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............For both Caribetours and Bavaro Express, will it be sufficient if we just show up at the bus station at the day of departure and buy our tickets on the spot? Is there any need to reserve tickets in advance? Is it sufficient to be at the station an hour/half an hour earlier? Plus, our luggage will be no problem, right?

Thank you!

You should be fine showing up an hour in advance. Caribe Tours will give you a claim ticket for your luggage so hold onto that plus always hold onto your ticket receipt. Caribe Tours you can make a reservation in advance but you still need to show up 30 minutes prior to departure. Play it safe and show up an hour before departure for both.

Buses are generally ice cold so bring a sweater or light jacket.

Just in case you don't already have these...........

http://www.expresobavaro.com/

http://www.caribetours.com.do/

Feb 7, 2007
Be careful and keep an eye on your luggage, pick a seat where you can see out the window to view/watch the undercarriage bin area at the source of the trip and at intermediate stops. Anyone could possibly walk up and remove the luggage.

At least here in the East, the express buses use baggage tags with numbers.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You should be fine showing up an hour in advance. Caribe Tours will give you a claim ticket for your luggage so hold onto that plus always hold onto your ticket receipt. Caribe Tours you can make a reservation in advance but you still need to show up 30 minutes prior to departure. Play it safe and show up an hour before departure for both.

Buses are generally ice cold so bring a sweater or light jacket.

Just in case you don't already have these...........

http://www.expresobavaro.com/

http://www.caribetours.com.do/

One can not make a reservation on Caribe Tours. Any ticket bought is for the very next bus heading to your destination.
Der Fish

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Couple of hints. As said take warm clothes (and socks). There is wifi on the buses - the password is stuck on windscreen next to the driver. Check the number of the bus you are on - is printed on the ticket and on the front of the bus. This is as they stop for toilet and food stops sometime and if you get out and forget the number it is easy to get back on the wrong bus. Also take toilet paper (well always take toilet paper traveling in the DR). The buses have toilets but no paper.

Matilda

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
One can not make a reservation on Caribe Tours. Any ticket bought is for the very next bus heading to your destination.
Der Fish

Der Fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, One CAN make a reservation online with Caribe Tours. Not sure about all the bus depots but I know for a FACT you can make a reservation in advance at the Santo Domingo bus depot. Not sure why it wouldn't be the same for all as they all link to the main computer.

Also you do NOT have to buy a ticket for the next bus out.

Fish, maybe you living in the past but things do change even in la rep dom.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I have travelled by the last CT from SD to RSJ with stuff with some value. Give the driver a 100 pesos and show him your stuff and you will be ok.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Der Fish

I beg your pardon...... What cha say?

2lkzjno.jpg

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Der Fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, One CAN make a reservation online with Caribe Tours. Not sure about all the bus depots but I know for a FACT you can make a reservation in advance at the Santo Domingo bus depot. Not sure why it wouldn't be the same for all as they all link to the main computer.

Well way back 6 months ago there was a sign up in Caribe Tours bus station in Puerto Plata which station I visited many times that said any tickets bought are for the next bus. It was right next to a sign advertising a real estate listing that had "walking closets!"
Der Fish
Der Fish

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I think I remembered seeing on their site that you can make reservations, but from SD only. You might want to check that Derfish.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For Expreso Bávaro you can't make bookings or buy tickets in advance. Almost every time I or someone I know has tried to take the bus they arrive an hour before departure and even so tickets are usually sold out.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you are right, BB. if you get to the Caribe Tours depot at 8.45, you can buy a ticket for the 10am bus..it does not have to be for the 9am.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
show up earlier for the Bavaro express.
I used them 4 times and arrived each time around 30 mins, 25mins before leaving. Sold out 2 times by the time i could pay at the window

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
For Expreso Bávaro you can't make bookings or buy tickets in advance. Almost every time I or someone I know has tried to take the bus they arrive an hour before departure and even so tickets are usually sold out.

Their website says one should be there at least one hour earlier. Since we will need the bus to catch our flight at the airport in Punta Cana, I guess arriving two hours earlier would be reasonable, right?

Emina

Mar 23, 2017
Of the two bus stations for the Bavaro express in Santo Domingo, does it matter which we chose? (Maybe one of them is less crowded?)