Tall Ship in Zona Colonial

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Spanish Armada tall ship Juan Sebastian de Elcano is docked at the Port of Santo Domingo after the 25-day trip across the Atlantic Ocean from Cadiz, Spain. The training ship was received by the new Spanish ambassador Alejandro Abellan. On board is a crew of more than 200, including 26 women.

The ship is at port through 20 April 2017, and is open to the general public from 10 to 1pm and 3 to 6pm. The captain of the ship is Victoriano Gilabert Agote. This is the 20th time the ship has been in Santo Domingo. On Thursday, it will continue on to New York.
DR1 News

I took these photos yesterday

View attachment 2601

View attachment 2602

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
All of them work here also.

Maybe they only work for mods.... :D
One of our special benefits.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
96ian7.jpg

r10abc.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Marvin del Cid took some nice shots of the boat (is it a boat or a ship?, the sails confuse me lol) on the day it arrived at port. The Dominican and Spanish flags were raised and the national anthem of both countries were played upon arrival.

i think it's fitting that departing from Spain, the first port of call in this hemisphere is Santo Domingo, which was once known as 'the mother of the Spanish provinces in America.'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdelcid/albums/72157679410537403

May 5, 2007
Marvin del Cid took some nice shots of the boat (is it a boat or a ship?, the sails confuse me lol) on the day it arrived at port. The Dominican and Spanish flags were raised and the national anthem of both countries were played upon arrival.

i think it's fitting that departing from Spain, the first port of call in this hemisphere is Santo Domingo, which was once known as 'the mother of the Spanish provinces in America.'

It used to be fairly simple (A boat or ship was determined by number of masts carried): A boat could be carried upon a ship but today there are some huge heavy lift salvage and repair ships that out date this definition.. think USS Cole, a Naval ship being carried home for repair You also have the US Navy's love of calling submarines, no matter the size..boats (I don't believe an Ohio Boat has ever been carried by a ship) and there is that little issue of Naval aviators calling their almost 100,000 ton carriers "The Boat" I don't think there is anything that can carry a US carrier but......It really is just based upon locals and their thoughts as to what you call ship or boat

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

ahhh, such colonial melodrama....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Spanish Armada tall ship Juan Sebastian de Elcano is docked at the Port of Santo Domingo after the 25-day trip across the Atlantic Ocean from Cadiz, Spain. The training ship was received by the new Spanish ambassador Alejandro Abellan. On board is a crew of more than 200, including 26 women.

The ship is at port through 20 April 2017, and is open to the general public from 10 to 1pm and 3 to 6pm. The captain of the ship is Victoriano Gilabert Agote. This is the 20th time the ship has been in Santo Domingo. On Thursday, it will continue on to New York.
DR1 News

I took these photos yesterday

View attachment 2601

View attachment 2602

Can't open your attachments. I'm assuming they have their cannons focused on the Zona Colonial?