Page 114 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1368

Thread: hurricane season 2017

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

powerful Cat4 Hurricane Jose is a bit deformed this afternoon
    due dryer air, windshear and also due counter currents from Irma on it's W and NW.
    so that bugger send's all it's stuff on a very long Tail southwards.
    those are the light gusts we feel here in Punta Cana today, sun and clouds are changing, weather feels "rare" today.
    despite all those unusual conditions Jose is not struggling til now not a little bit.
    the fueling machine runs perfectly.

Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    The video is from CNN:
    "Matthew Spuler took this video from a high-rise overlooking Biscayne Bay in Miami."

Anybody familiar with the area?
    I lived there for a long time. That's definitely the Brickell Ave area on Biscayne Bay and it appears to be looking up the Miami River(?).

3. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwicanuck View Post
    I would hope I represent the silent majority in saying your efforts have been greatly appreciated and highly respected. Especially enjoyed your humour in the above post "I can still describe every rock I ever turned anywhere in Wyoming". I laughed good as I thought "hey, we are obviously in the same age grouping".

I personally thought the network coverage of 'Harvey' was over the top and sensationalized and said so at the time, then, Houston flooded and I had to say I was wrong. You Mike, stay pretty close to the facts as you are able to ascertain them, IMO. Well done.

I hadn't read the Dr1 forums in years, but when Irma showed up I knew where to come, you are a great contributor Mike as well as all the other long time contributors who told the actual story of Irma's reality as it impacted the DR.

Bruce  ( Calgary AB )
    Hey Bruce, very long time no read, yeah.
    honestly, Wyoming is a piece of paradise for this Fisherman since a fairly young age,
    I will only turn 53 on the 18th of this months.
    I spent many many long times on Horseback up there(also in the wider 4 corners area),
    during a frame of about 6 years i did barely anything else than to be surrounded by horses somewhere in the US, mostly Wyoming. to spend a full week on highest elevations with nobody else than 3 horses and a good whiskey for the evenings, is Heaven itself to me.
    if WYO would border the Atlantic Ocean at one corner, it would be the full perfect place on the Planet to me, lol.
    wide land, very few people, many horses and widest areas without any car traffic(Shoshone Ntl for example).

Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and I am very sure the name U-Turn-Jose(like we had for example Wrong way Lenny etc etc exceptionally turning/Heading Storms) will finally not be appropriate for this Hurricane Jose.
    Drunekn Circleing Jose should finally be more suitable,
    as this Jose should run in full circles up there til one day on the more further than nearer future it will run out of fuels.
    there is so far no end of it's life span in vicinity, it can stay active up there for an other week easily
    and despite the very far distance it could be a p.i.t.,azz to me by bring and keeping our Sea Conditions on above average levels for some days.

Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the 11AM shot of today shows that the Highway keep's quiet some moistured lane wide open,
    the awaited Dry Air barrier did not move much southwards, hangs only over the nortehrn lanes.
    Steering Conditions for the Brewing Disturbance S of the Cape Verd Islands did not change,
    with or without Development it should wander steeply NW up to the Graveyard.

Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    Yikes.
    now that's what i name a real Ocean Front, without any tricky Realtor's false descriptions.
    just plane and simple Ocean Front.
    anybody know on what "grounds" those high rises stand? solid Rock or is it something that could be washed out under there?

Mike
    It's mostly limestone. They have to drive deep pilings to make a foundation. The seawalls are put down deep under the bottom of the bay. I'd say zero chance that anything could be washed out there.

8. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

2PM on Irma.
    Central Pressure and Forward Speed rising.
    that trend should continue, at least on the rising pressure, slowly but constantly,
    resulting in slow but constant loss of windpowers as the Storm is too close and soon over Land with the Eyewall.
    Tracking is a straight North and can be expected to stay that way til the next TouchDown.

Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    It's mostly limestone. They have to drive deep pilings to make a foundation. The seawalls are put down deep under the bottom of the bay. I'd say zero chance that anything could be washed out there.
    thats good to know.
    looks strange when looking on usch heavy high buildings and their grounds surrounded by not very calm waters.
    Imagination on first look on such let's 'emjust falling over, lol.
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    thats good to know.
    looks strange when looking on usch heavy high buildings and their grounds surrounded by not very calm waters.
    Imagination on first look on such let's 'emjust falling over, lol.
    Mike
    You mean kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDZEAc9nLhY

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

3PM.
    Cat3 Irma approaching Naples.
    i fear that will be the first real FL Mess.
    their Beach is facing the South, right?
    it is just a Cat3 Force, ""JUST"", what ever that could help,
    but the WaterForce coming in there and that together with 150mphr windgusts is beyond imagination.
    good luck.

...300 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE...
    ...CENTER OF DANGEROUS HURRICANE IRMA NEARING NAPLES...

A sustained wind of 55 mph (88 km/h) and a gust of 82 mph
    (132 km/h) was recently reported at Naples Municipal Airport. A
    sustained wind of 63 mph (102 km/h) and a gust of 84 mph (135 km/h)
    was recently reported at Opa-Locka Executive Airport.

SUMMARY OF 300 PM EDT...1900 UTC...INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------------
    LOCATION...25.7N 81.8W
    ABOUT 20 MI...30 KM S OF NAPLES
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...936 MB...27.64 INCHES

Mike