Page 64 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: hurricane season 2017

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Got up this morning and the ground was wet in Sosua. Did I miss it?

With the morning levity out of the way and with what was probably the last uninterrupted sleep the next couple of nights over, time to take a final walk around and pickup all those little items that I tend to leave scattered here and there that I didn't grab yesterday.

When that little bit of work is done, I will probably head into town and take a few "before" pictures, perhaps empty a few cerveza bottles so that they will be easier to store safely (less weight) and then come home to hunker down and wait like everyone else.

As Irma moves past the DR, I assume internet service and electricity will disappear for many. I'm not a twitter user but set up an account (cdn_gringo) this morning and posted a couple of tweets to reserve #dr1irma for DR1 people to use to stay in touch. Those who are still waiting for the tormenta proper to arrive might find it comforting to hear from those further east who are experiencing it first hand before the cell towers get sucked away.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 09-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.

2. Likes Robert, rubio_higuey liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert reports that the downtime for DR1 was due to our data center located in Houston having issues. Let us hope all continues well.

In Santo Domingo, it is hot, very humid and sunny this morning. Traffic is not a problem. People seem to have taken preventive measures on Monday and Tuesday.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, went to autobanco popular and gasoline station, all normal, no bigger lines than usual.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

From CNN's Matou Diop:

France’s Interior Minister Gérard Collomb says the four strongest buildings on Saint Martin have been destroyed by Hurricane Irma. It's very possible that all other old buildings on the territory have been totally or partially destroyed, too, he said.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife's friend called and said in Guadeloupe said they had some rain and the waves were a bit rocky, no damage to speak. It was predicted that Guadeloupe was supposed to get slammed.

Photos of St. Martin and Anguilla are horrific. I believe they were in the eye of the storm, though.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears that people in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone area taking the warnings seriously. Just came from La Sirena and it was a challenge to move to along the aisles; shelves with popular items were being emptied as they were being stocked. Thirty minutes plus to check out and people waiting for shopping carts and baskets to become available.

8. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    It appears that people in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone area taking the warnings seriously. Just came from La Sirena and it was a challenge to move to along the aisles; shelves with popular items were being emptied as they were being stocked. Thirty minutes plus to check out and people waiting for shopping carts and baskets to become available.

I felt this was going to happen and I went yesterday.

10. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Reports are that La Sirena and Bravo in Julieta are packed. El Nacional announced they will stay open until midnight today.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Live Weather Channel on cable TV just said that the eye of the hurricane has "wobbled a bit to the south" after going thru St. Bart's and the islands around there. (not good news)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    I felt this was going to happen and I went yesterday.
    Expected, I went Sunday despite the joking of the wife La Sirena has Green Wednesday as usual today this plays a role too.

14. Likes RG84 liked this post