Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Blue Mall

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There more than likely will be an increase in traffic there once the Tourist Season gets into full-swing. They'll start busing loads of Gringos in like they do at San Juan and the mall at Cocotal. It doesn't matter. There is a cycle of waxing and waning of the businesses in PC all dependent on the amount of tourists as customers.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason this thread is reminding me of the old Ikea thread.

Are people still betting its going out of business soon? lol

Actually, I think Blue Mall Santo Domingo got a similar treatment on DR1 too, but then the years pass and the mall remain open and people simply gave up on the doom and gloom.

Moderator Polls Forum

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ikea in Punta Cana is not breaking any records either.

4. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Ikea in Punta Cana is not breaking any records either.
    Maybe not, but it's difficult as hell to get waited-on in that store! Always lines at each sales kiosk and the pick-up line is unbelievable. It wasn't designed to be a thriving commercial venture, just a source of orders for the Santo Domingo Mother Ship!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    Maybe not, but it's difficult as hell to get waited-on in that store! Always lines at each sales kiosk and the pick-up line is unbelievable. It wasn't designed to be a thriving commercial venture, just a source of orders for the Santo Domingo Mother Ship!

Every time I go by there no one is even in the store.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to the Blue Mall Punta Cana three times. My first two visits were shortly after it first opened and it was rather depressing. All those well-stocked shops and not a customer in sight, only window shoppers like me and desperate-looking shop assistants trying to make me feel guilty for not buying anything.

Yesterday evening I finally decided to go back at my son's recommendation, for a snack from one of the food trucks in the food hall. The food was reasonably priced, there were quite a few people around, especially in the food area, but some were even carrying several shopping bags full of purchases.

Recommendation: the Venezuelan food truck has a good selection of arepas, cachapas, chimis and burgers, including a veggie burger - very good indeed. They also have a good selection of craft beers. The other food truck (Greek) also looked good, and they have veggie options like falafel too. We then had ice cream at Valentino's. I still prefer Cinco but it wasn't bad.
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 11-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Blue Mall in Santo Domingo is the same. Quite a few folks enjoying the small cafes, some in the phone shops, and everything else is empty shops.

The food court on the 4th floor originally had maybe 15 different choices for food, now I think Hard Rock Cafe is the only one.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The prices in these malls are ridiculous. Anyone that travels frequently would never shop there.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    The prices in these malls are ridiculous. Anyone that travels frequently would never shop there.
    The only persons who would buy something there are hotel guests upstairs who want to buy something for their "visitor"

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised to see several shoppers with bulging shopping bags. We joked that they must be paid for walking around with bags stuffed with paper.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

12. Likes KateP liked this post
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast