Looking for work in the dr

Patrick777

Apr 24, 2017
Hi,i am canadian looking to move to the dr for at least 6 months.I an currently working for Bell Canada as a retention agent.I've been awarded top performer of my team and among the 20 top seller in my department.I am also
taking tefl courses and spanish courses.i have worked mostly in customer service and construction as a carpenter apprentice.I would really like to work in customer services and sales anybody knows where I should begin my job search.p.s i speak french and english fluently

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi,i am canadian looking to move to the dr for at least 6 months.I an currently working for Bell Canada as a retention agent.I've been awarded top performer of my team and among the 20 top seller in my department.I am also
taking tefl courses and spanish courses.i have worked mostly in customer service and construction as a carpenter apprentice.I would really like to work in customer services and sales anybody knows where I should begin my job search.p.s i speak french and english fluently

in order to get a job you will have to adjust your immigration status from visitor to resident...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Are you retiring from Bell Canada? I would try to find a Canadian Company or US for that matter for will pay you in North American dollars. If you have to work for pesos you will be extremely dissapointed in your salary. You will earn a fraction of what you earn in Canada with very few if any benefits. If you want to work in the DR and find employment on your own you will need to apply for residency in order to work. It will cost you between $1500 to $2000usds to do this. The process starts in Canada. Check with the closest DR consulate to get all the requirements. If you are only planning to do this for 6 months I would say it is not worth the effort. What is your long term plan. Maybe that makes more sense? Good luck and good travels.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Best solution if it's for only 6 months would be for you to work "online". Many jobs are available that you can work from home, wherever your home is. Usually you are paid in US or CDN $, deposited in your canadian bank account. Best way to do it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why the move to the DR? It's a third world country with a technology infrastructure that is not comparable to North America. Wages are low for most positions. Good money can be made for successful sales people hawking vacation time shares and Club programs for some of the bigger resorts. Within the business environment, customer service is a work in progress and the retention issue is handled with punitive service contracts. Focus here seems to be on new customers not so much on keeping the customers a business already has.

Life here can be grind if you are compelled to eek out an existence. Being an island all imported products are expensive and those produced locally can be of questionable quality and longevity.

You cannot legally work for a local company here without a work visa from a sponsoring Dominican employer or applying for and receiving residency status. Sure their are underground economy jobs but they are for the most part exploitative and unrewarding. Check with the DR Embassy in Ottawa or the consulate in Toronto for more info on living legally in the DR.

The DR can be a choice as a retirement country, but it is not an appropriate choice as a career immigration destination. You should do more research and if at all possible, find your climate, ocean and palm tree fix in Florida or California. Lots of Spanish spoken in both of those places. You will find the DR a hard daily slog, lacking reliable access to many of the common amenities that you are used to.

Do what you want but you will surely leave here disheartened and broke. It costs more to maintain a NA lifestyle here than you can reasonable expect to earn. If you do end up coming down here, be sure to have a backup plan to get yourself home and set up again. Cars are very expensive even 12 year old cars.

Good luck.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Send me an email address and I send you information.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why the move to the DR? It's a third world country with a technology infrastructure that is not comparable to North America. Wages are low for most positions. Good money can be made for successful sales people hawking vacation time shares and Club programs for some of the bigger resorts. Within the business environment, customer service is a work in progress and the retention issue is handled with punitive service contracts. Focus here seems to be on new customers not so much on keeping the customers a business already has.

Life here can be grind if you are compelled to eek out an existence. Being an island all imported products are expensive and those produced locally can be of questionable quality and longevity.

You cannot legally work for a local company here without a work visa from a sponsoring Dominican employer or applying for and receiving residency status. Sure their are underground economy jobs but they are for the most part exploitative and unrewarding. Check with the DR Embassy in Ottawa or the consulate in Toronto for more info on living legally in the DR.

The DR can be a choice as a retirement country, but it is not an appropriate choice as a career immigration destination. You should do more research and if at all possible, find your climate, ocean and palm tree fix in Florida or California. Lots of Spanish spoken in both of those places. You will find the DR a hard daily slog, lacking reliable access to many of the common amenities that you are used to.

Do what you want but you will surely leave here disheartened and broke. It costs more to maintain a NA lifestyle here than you can reasonable expect to earn. If you do end up coming down here, be sure to have a backup plan to get yourself home and set up again. Cars are very expensive even 12 year old cars.

Good luck.

i dont understand what you mean when you say that because it is an island, imported things are expensive. if it is not too much trouble, please explain.

Its not cheap to live here and work here will not give you enough to live on "gringo style"  I am sure you could find some kind of illegal work but it won't pay well. Bring $$$$$$!!!  It takes a while and conections to get a decent job here. 
Online work where you get paid in US or Euro's is the best idea. 

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
My wife works for upwork.com and she earns over 3 times what I earned at a call canter here. Call center wages are about 140pesos an hour.
Lifestyles hotel look for French speakers. They pay quite well for here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
i dont understand what you mean when you say that because it is an island, imported things are expensive. if it is not too much trouble, please explain.

As a general principle, goods that need to be transported from elsewhere to an island tend to cost more on than if the same goods were purchased on the mainland.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I love it when people who don't work in the DR, just live here, or those who don't even live here and have never worked here, give advice to those looking to come and work here. In the past 17 years I have always worked here and the great thing is you have to be creative and look at what you want to do as long as what you can do. This is what I have done:

1. Worked as diving instructor: Salary UD$1,000 a month plus tips (this was 17 years ago).
2. Real estate agent (good money when you sell something - which I did once lol)
3. Taught Spanish to expats and English to Dominicans (Salary US$10 an hour).
4. Ran a colmado (Profit US$700 a week).
5. Wrote articles and am still writing (Paid between US$150 and US$400 an article).
6. Worked for online law company (Salary US$1,000 a month).
7. Work as marketing manager for hotel - few hours a week (Salary US$10 an hour).
8. Write books (earn royalities).
9. Translation work (Best paying at US$0.05 a word)
10. Write articles for US attorneys (Worst paying at US$0.01 a word!!)

There are loads of opportunities from teaching, to translating, to working on line. There are online freelance websites, and sites with jobs here in the DR such as https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm. and http://www.aldaba.com/. There are jobs with NGOs and with embassies.

OP if you can get a job before you come here then they should help with a work visa. Don't let the naysayers put you off. Live your dream. Need more help - feel free to pm me.

Matilda

Patrick777

Apr 24, 2017
thanks I appreciate it do you have any suggestion on where I can find legitimate work from home jobs
please and thank you

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are loads, you just need to google. Freelancer.com is one, you could also look at the translation sites for English and French and then Spanish when you are more fluent. There are lots of those too.

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
As a general principle, goods that need to be transported from elsewhere to an island tend to cost more on than if the same goods were purchased on the mainland.

If that is the reason why are wines from for example Chile or cars from Europe more expensive then in the US of A?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

so, by that reasoning, things in Trinidad should be more expensive than things in Suriname, because one is an island, and one is on the mainland.

ok...

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Doing what specifically?

PM if you prefer.

Gracias

Best solution if it's for only 6 months would be for you to work "online". Many jobs are available that you can work from home, wherever your home is. Usually you are paid in US or CDN $, deposited in your canadian bank account. Best way to do it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
To be fair, Matilda is not your average person. She has more grit, intelligence ,ability and perseverance than 5 ordinary people. Matilda has accomplished a lot. Most could not begin to measure up to her.