Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banco Popular

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Banco Popular

I just returned from a DR trip. While I was there I went to Banco popular in Juan Dolio to exchange my expiring Token for Condigo. I could not because years ago I opened the account with my passport that has since expired, and Cedula. Apparently they preferred the passport over Cedula because Cedula accounts require more information. I did not have my old expired passport with me and may not have it all, I may have destroyed it. The bank required my old passport and new passport. I assume to not only change the token, but also the account owners ID number. I did have a good color copy with me there. But that did not suffice. I attempted to have it changed to my Cedula number and provided a color copy of titulo for my property and a record of my income. But when I returned on the day after I waited for processing. It was still not processed so no token. I had to return the next day to the states. I was so disappointed with the banks inability to help me. The account is useless to me unless I can move my money around. Disgusted with the process I closed the account. I inquired with the possibility of using my Cedula and new passport to open another new account. I was told that is not possible either. Is it me or does the bank feel I work for them not they for me? I had a real difficult time understanding the banks lack of flexibility on this issue. Cannot a problem be worked out there? Well that becomes real inconvenient as BP is the only bank in Juan Dolio and is closest to me. I had all my online services set up nicely. I hope to open another account at another bank, I am considering BHD in San Pedro De Macoris. I think they merged with Leon and now have personal internet banking. The merger may also have expanded their locations.
    In summary, this is one of the things I really do not like about the Dominican Republic and their relation with foreigners. So whats the point of having a Cedula there? Citizenship or nothing?
    Last edited by Joe Boots; 04-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.

2. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm - that's a worry. I recently lost my passport (which I used when I opened my Banco Popular accounts) and had to get a new one from the UK, but it has a different number from the old one. Like you, I have a cedula and was assuming that I could just go into the bank, explain the situation and register either my new passport or my cedula as my ID.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a Token for Condigo?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A token is a little key-chain device that has a quartz display of a six digit number that changes about every min or so. The Codigo is that number. It is additional security besides password. Without it and your password you cannot do any online transactions.

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    Hmmm - that's a worry. I recently lost my passport (which I used when I opened my Banco Popular accounts) and had to get a new one from the UK, but it has a different number from the old one. Like you, I have a cedula and was assuming that I could just go into the bank, explain the situation and register either my new passport or my cedula as my ID.
    Well at least now you see it coming and can prepare. i was blindsided. I sent an e mail with the situation to Banco Popular. I will keep the board advised of the results.

8. Likes drstock, RG84 liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why for God's sake they change the number of the passport every time you renew!

It is plain stupid and causes a lot of problems worldwide.....then again...we are only human...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say try again at Popular at another moment, another employee. Sometimes 'impossibilities' are arbitrary.

12. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, or go to another branch.

14. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent an e mail to both Banco Popular and BHD today. Banco Popular detailing my difficulties. And a simple inquiry to BHD. BHD answered me already. Lets see how long it takes for me to get an answer from Banco Popular. Here is BHD response.

Buenas tardes,

Apreciado Cliente:

Por el momento no tenemos sucursales en Estados Unidos, solo en República Dominicana.

Si requiere información adicional o seguimiento puede comunicarse con nuestro departamento vía telefónica TeleÁgil BHD León a los teléfonos 809-243-5000, desde el interior sin cargos al 1-809-200-2445, desde el exterior al 1-866-898-3300, donde estaremos complacidos en responder a sus requerimientos.

Mejora tu mundo.

Saludos cordiales,

César Torres | SEO | Centro de Contacto | Banco Múltiple BHD León, S. A.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast