Info on Sosua and/or cabarete Por Favor

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Hola Everyone,
I am just spent the last hour reading all the many comments and insights into living in the DR and knew I needed to post a few questions of my own. I just came back from 2 weeks in Sosua. I was not at a hotel but instead at my father's recently purchased condo, so I had no choice but to immerse myself into the town's way of life. meaning, learning spanish asap, buying groceries at the Playero, taking motortaxi's , cramming into the publico's to Cabarete etc... obviously there was more to it than that...
Anyway, I went there bombarded with warnings about being safe and not getting taken advantage of etc. Wel, I have to say Sosua and cabarete far far exceeded my expectations. I decided to take a nice beach vacation and instead had an experience of a lifetime. The locals treated me with the utmost respect and graciousness and although, yes, some were trying to get me to buy things, they soon left me alone. I made very good friends with some local waiters and honestly felt at home after only a week. I am 29 female, by the way. By the second week, I was having meals at their homes with their families who shared these tiny little houses in the hills ( we would think of slums back home, but were actually immacuatley clean and organized). I

Too make a long story short, I am already making plans to go back. I am a freelance writer with no real commitments or responsibilities here in Toronto Canada and so crave the relaxed nonmaterialistic attitude and environmemnt of those areas. I am also a waitress and was thinking I could do that to pay the bills while I write in my free time. I am however, not too sure of how a canadian comes to work in the DR abnd what Visa or papers are needed. I am in the process of contacting the consolate but would love any info all you bright, intelligent, and everso friendly people could grace me with. I look forward to your replies.
Buenos Dias y gracias

DAWN

Mar 1, 2002
I too went to the DR for a chance to work and live for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I stayed about 7 months on my tourist visa (after 6 months you have to pay a fine to leave the country....around $15-20 US...this was the case about 2 years ago anyway. I had no special papers or visa related to work in the DR. During my stay I was paid in a check that I cashed at the bank for pesos. I used my passport as ID.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Me too - once I spent 3 years without leaving. Although I believe your tourist visa is only valid for a period of 3 months, not 6...

If I were you, White Wave, I wouldn't worry about residency unless you were certain you were going to stay for a really, really long time. And as for paycheques, my wages were always paid to me in cash (waitressing and office jobs alike), but you can open a bank account with your passport, so that's not really a concern.

If you plan to stay in your dad's condo and don't have to pay rent, then you're set. I've done the waitressing thing in Sosua, but that was nearly 10 years ago and that industry seems somewhat depressed as of late. Even back then, it wasn't exactly the life of Riley either. But, like you, I knew no Spanish, wasn't very familiar with the people or customs, and it was a great experience. If you could get in at New Wave or some other hot-spot in Cabarete, then you'd really be set.

My only concern is for your writing (as in, will you ever do any?)

Good Luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you were concerned about her writing, she should be concerned about her spelling and coherence! Bring a dictionary and a Style book!!

You will have fun....

HB

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Thanx everyone for the replies. And, yes, I wrote it quite fast with the hopes of instant replies, so my writing was a bit off. Confused that it matters. Anyway, you certainly gave me very positive feedback. I was slightly hesistant last night about still making the move, but you reassured me it would be a great thing to do whilst I still have the time to do it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear White Wave:
Of course you will be able to function on the North shore. Hundreds, maybe thousands have done it, so why not you?

You will find a bunch of nice folks there in Sosua, and they can sort of guide you around the major pitfalls. I would not worry about visas and such, especially since your dad is a property owner.

I mean, if Julia Alvarez can migrate to the USA and write about her childhood, and win prizes, certainly you can do the reverse from here, can't you?

Be good to get some new blood up there in sosua anyway.

good Luck

HB

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Brittania Pub

A couple from Calgary own the Brittania Pub in Sosua. Check with them for employment opportunities...they are often looking for waitresses. Don't worry about a visa.

Good luck!

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Thanx again for your replies. They are extrememly helpful and encouraging, and although I am not afraid of moving there, I suppose it just helps to get as much info as possible and a little vote of reassurance, no? So, I guess my next question is if anyone has any contacts whatsoever for me regarding job prospects in waitressing or teaching english in the Sosua or Cabarete areas (Thank you sooo much Trina), I would LOVE it. This site is amazing.
Take care,
WW

Christine_deb

Mar 6, 2002
ME TOOO!

Wow! It is really wonderful to hear that someone feels exactly the same way that I do. Unfortunately from the posts I have received in response to my questions I would have to pick up and go to the DR with pretty much nothing. I was hoping, as some employers do elsewhere, that employers in the DR may offer me something while I am here so that I can have a safety net when I get there. My main concern is housing, I have met a few friends in Sosua who said "sure come live with me", but when the time comes does this still hold true? Is rent expensive for one person there? I guess my worst fear is leaving everything I have here in search of a wonderful dream and having to come home again because of lack of employment.... I hope that you do go and that you are very careful so that everything goes your way :)

P.S.
I think it's probably safer to get the work visa anyways regardless of whether or not you need it for certain jobs. Good luck.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mi sueno

In September, 1998, I visited Sosua for the first time. I loved it, and decided that I needed a change. I had worked for 8 long years with Chrysler as an Accountant, and didn't like my rat race life. So I decided to take one whole year and work, pay off debts, learn enough Spanish to get me by, and save money to live in the DR. All of 1999, all I did was work, save, and pay off debts. This is what my schedule looked like: Sunday bartend 11-4; Monday work 8-5 Chrysler, 6-2 bartending; Tuesday (see Monday); Wednesday work 8-5 Chrysler, 6-10 night reception job; Thursday work 8-5 Chrysler, 7-9 Spanish class; Friday (see Monday); Saturday 9-11 volunteer teaching ESL and Saturday night reception 6-10. And oftentimes, I would pick up extra bartending shifts. I had no life (actually, bartending was my social life), but I paid my Student Loan, another loan, my Visa, my airfare plus 2 weeks all-inclusive in Sosua, and saved about $8000.

December 27, 1999, my best friend Nadine and I left for the DR. We spent 2 weeks in Sosua and got to know lots of interesting people (Linden and Barb at the Brittania Pub, Eddy of Eddy's Sports Bar and Condos Dominicana - awesome person, JJ of JJ's Auberge - may he rest in peace... and many other great, influencial people). We then travelled to Semana to stay for a few days (Las Terranes - beautiful), then to Barahona, and then Santo Domingo, to leave for Puerto Rico. Spent a month in Puerto Rico (I love PR as well), and came back to Sosua. I then opened up my own business, a pub crawl for tourists.

Through friends (you'll find Dominicans are very helpful people), I found a room in a guest house for $200 Cdn/month, which is less than $150 USD in El Batey (Sosua). I didn't have hot water, and shared a kitchen, but it was good enough to call home.

In February, I met the love of my life, Angel. I met him at his ball game, and knew he was the person for me. His spiritual beliefs, love of family and children, and generousity swept me off my feet. Not to mention his looks...mmmmnnn. I could just spend a whole day doing nothing but looking at my husband!

Come the end of May, I heard my father wasn't doing to well at home and with a heavy heart, left for Canada. I had also taken sick, so I knew it was time to leave. It was hard leaving Angel, and before I left, he proposed. I didn't know what I would do, but it didn't take too long being away from him for me to realize I couldn't live without him.

It was the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend it to anyone. Go for it, life is too short to spend it wondering, what if? Things will fall into place when you get there. For job opportunities, try the tour companies, if you would like a fun job (Freestyle Catamaran - ask Barb and Linden how to go about applying, as they know the owner; any of the Jeep Safari's; Sunquest Tours, Air TransAt, etc etc etc). Also, talk to Pat of Pat's Rum Runners Bar right across from the Playa Dorada. He is Canadian, and has lived there forever, too, you'll find good contacts. There are also English schools in POP that hire, my friend Paula got a job teaching with no experience or education in that field. She was a travel agent in Ottawa.

Anyways, Angel and I married Sept 2000, and he now lives here with me and our new baby boy. Check out my little prince here
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/9262/index.html

Best of luck, you will be just fine! Watch out for the sankys! Don't take anything too fast, and watch who you become friends with. The men can be really agressive, so take your time to find the one who will be in it for the long haul before jumping into things.

PS
Someday, Angel and I will move back, but we want to make enough money here first that we won't have to worry for a while there.

Buena suerte

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I filed for my residency through an attorney. 1000 US is the cost and it takes a couple of months. I think it is a help to be legal but I know lots of people that are not.

I don't know how easy it is to live on dominican wages but it is sure easy on american wages and dollars.

Good luck and maybe I will see you there. I am going back on the 28th of March.

Scott

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Jazzman

Scott are you heading to Sosua? What are you doing for employment? Very jealous you get to return so soon.
WW

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
HI Whitewave

Thanks for your e-mail. Angel ended up calling today...he wasn't sure about the name, but was going to check by the restaurant sometime.

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Well that's cool. I hope Abel doesn't think I am checking up on him or sending someone to check him out. If you talk to Angel before he heads over there, perhaps you can tell him to tell Abel I say
hola and I miss him. Might be a cute surprise, although, perhaps a bit hard to explain. Whatever the outcome, keep me posted. Talk to you soon.
J

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
No, Angel wasn't going to talk to him, he just wanted to see if he knew him. And if he did, he would just be talking about life, not anything else.

Talk to you soon!

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Trina,
That makes more sense. I have to say, every time I get stressed out at work or about anything, for that matter, I just close my eyes and think of the relaxed and relatively stress free environment of Sosua and I instantly feel better. If only I could win the lottery so I could get my ass back there sooner. People are so negative here it seems, in comparison. It is quite depressing. I find Dominican's to be much more carefree and happy overall. Perhaps it is the tranquil spell of the ocean. All I know is I want to slow down and breathe......And I was able to do that there.
WW

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ohhhhhhhhh, so you think there's no stress there? lol. You'll find out soon... Mind you, it's a different kind of stress. At my wedding, the power went out 3 times. Luckily, we had a battery-powered ghetto and we danced all night anyways, all be it in the almost-pitch-dark! And it was so hot and humid, the wedding cake fell over before anyone had a chance to eat it.

Yes, they are a carefree folk, but you will find that can really get to you if you need something done, like getting cable hooked up. Or the water pump fixed. Or God forbid, if you need to e-mail, and want to use the cheapest option, which is at CODETEL. That computer can be broken for a week! The gringos have a saying, "Manana doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow, it just means definitely not today."

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
Trina your story is fanatastic, it has given me hope that my relationship isnt alll in my head as some people seem to think.

And whit wave if you want to give me your e mil address i would love to hear what happens with you and abel

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Jazzman

WhiteWave said:
Scott are you heading to Sosua? What are you doing for employment? Very jealous you get to return so soon.
WW

I go there just about every month or two. I was there in Feb.

I am not going to work now when I go for only 8 days and hopefully not ever. Not a job at least.

Regards
Scott