Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kindle Recommendation

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squat View Post
    I love my Paperwhite, but I also have a Fire 8. Paperwhite is for books only, while the Fire 8 is for Netflix.
    I used to take a laptop on the road. No more. The Fire HD 8 does an excellent job.

2. Likes Squat, Polar Bear liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I decided to go with the new Paperwhite, not interested in a tablet, it's just for books.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
    When my old Kindle finally died---battery wouldn't charge---I contacted Amazon customer service and after troubleshooting failed offered a new one at a huge discount. I suppose that's because I buy so many books from them.

If you have not already pulled the trigger on a new one, give them a call and maybe save some cheese...

4. Likes AlterEgo, Polar Bear liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i like paper backs JS

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKNIGHT View Post
    i like paper backs JS
    The Kindle Paperwhite almost exactly emulates the look and texture of a page from a paper book. You can even add digital notes.

I have MOL 225 books on my Kindle with room for more...

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKNIGHT View Post
    i like paper backs JS
    I did as well. Loved them. As mentioned above, I used to dedicate one entire suitcase to them on my trips. I had the packing down to a science, they would fit perfectly. T-shirts on top and bottom to protect from any moisture entering. LOL. Customs occasionally asked if I was selling them in DR. There was never a question on paying the fee for the extra suitcase....they were MY BOOKS! As AE mentioned, one problem I had was with what to do with them upon completion. I wasn't going to return with them, and libraries in New York had stopped accepting donated paperbacks. As she did, I would leave them in the lobby of my apartment complex. The complex was a combination of owners and renters, so there were always people coming and going. The books always found a new home. I was introduced to the Paperwhite by a mid-70's Italian woman in the complex. The same woman who introduced me to Smartphones and WhatsApp. LOL. My life has been much easier since. The Paperwhite has been everywhere. Pool, beach, bar, planes, trains, automobiles, this country, that country, etc. Everywhere. No more extra suitcases, or matchbook book markers.
    God bless Signora Rosa.

9. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I have a hard time reading a real book. I'll look for the Kindle version, it's lighter, easier on the eyes.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I'm a voracious reader, and my Kindle is a lifesaver in DR. I'm on my third one, and the page turner button sticks, and jumps ahead several pages sometimes, so it's time for #4.

I'm wondering if anyone recommends a particular model over another. I had the original with the keyboard buttons, and last two were the smaller size. Now they offer the Paperwhite, and some others. Pros and cons?

Thanks
    I don't have Kindle, but do have a Samsung 7 inch tablet. Nook from Barnes and Noble can be downloaded onto any Samsung tablet (I have been told) They have over a million free downloadable books which I avail myself of. I believe Kindle also has an app that can be put on any Samsung tablet, but not sure. My tablet is backlit and has several choices of brightness to choose from.
    Der Fish

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I don't have Kindle, but do have a Samsung 7 inch tablet. Nook from Barnes and Noble can be downloaded onto any Samsung tablet (I have been told) They have over a million free downloadable books which I avail myself of. I believe Kindle also has an app that can be put on any Samsung tablet, but not sure. My tablet is backlit and has several choices of brightness to choose from.
    Der Fish
    I can do that with my iPad too, but a Kindle is lighter, smaller, and the battery lasts forever. I can use it onehanded. Just my preference.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

13. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ALL this said there is nothing like a real, paper, book in hand. Nothing!

15. Likes retiree liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

...and I miss the tactile feedback from a rotary dial telephone. Paper has served us well, but like video tape, the heyday of paper books for entertainment is drawing to a close. After a few more boomers move on to the great Dewey Decimal Hall above, there will be no one left to lament the slaughter of all those trees and brain cancer inducing RFI technology can run rampant towards its zenith.

17. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast