Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kindle Recommendation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    ...and I miss the tactile feedback from a rotary dial telephone. Paper has served us well, but like video tape, the heyday of paper books for entertainment is drawing to a close. After a few more boomers move on to the great Dewey Decimal Hall above, there will be no one left to lament the slaughter of all those trees and brain cancer inducing RFI technology can run rampant towards its zenith.
    I must respectfully disagree and off up vinyl as an example.

Regardless for me actual books are superiour when practical yet on vacation or at the beach etc....a tablet/Kindle is better for some.

Personal preference. I have mine and you're welcome to yours.

Post Thanks / Like

If I still lived somewhere with good bookshops I would probably still buy a lot of books and only use the Kindle when travelling. But as I live in the DR this beggar can't be a chooser. I was living in Oxford where there are several excellent bookshops. The larger ones could get as busy on normal weekends as US department stores do on Black Friday, but then I moved to the DR where there are hardly any. The ones that do exist, and sometimes supermarkets too, might have one rack of crappy dog-eared bestsellers in English - and that's if you're lucky.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

3. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

After last winter in the DR with little to read and nothing of interest left in our library, it is ereader time. I am looking at one of the top kobo models because the Toronto library says it works with kobo but not kindle.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    After last winter in the DR with little to read and nothing of interest left in our library, it is ereader time. I am looking at one of the top kobo models because the Toronto library says it works with kobo but not kindle.
    Like many of you, I prefer to use a Kindle or other e-reader instead of carting heavy books in luggage.

My home library offers books in Kindle format or in e-pub and also (for some older titles) as pdf e-books. Is the Kobo format e-pub? I have my Kindle set up to read pdf as well as, via the Overload app, e-pub.

6. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    The format makes no difference.

The Calibre freeware converts books from any format to any of 18 formats with .docx, .pdf, .epub and .mobi being the most popular.

8. Likes Squat liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

An e-reader is an acquired taste. I used to have huge stacks of books on horizontal surfaces everywhere, especially nightstands. There is something about holding a book in one's hands.

But it didn't take long, like just a few pages, to get hooked on books in an e-reader.

I keep book files, which are generally small, safely stored just in case my Kindle fails. Amazon has backups of the books you purchase from them, but not books you install yourself. If you get a new Kindle, Amazon will download your library. The others you have to do yourself via USB.

10. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    Like many of you, I prefer to use a Kindle or other e-reader instead of carting heavy books in luggage.

My home library offers books in Kindle format or in e-pub and also (for some older titles) as pdf e-books. Is the Kobo format e-pub? I have my Kindle set up to read pdf as well as, via the Overload app, e-pub.
    My library's website (Toronto) says the only Kindle that is works with is the Kindle Fire. I want something easy so will go with their recommendation. I have several books on my Samsung Tab S android tablet but think an ereader would be better. Kobo is very popular in Canada.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming back to this thread to let anyone who is interested know that Amazon has the Paperwhite for $89.99 right now, for Prime members. Amazing deal. I paid $119.00, and love mine.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    ALL this said there is nothing like a real, paper, book in hand. Nothing!
    defintely no ..with a Kindle you can adjust the size of the print ..that is a Godsend

14. Likes AlterEgo, Squat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

....when I went online to buy a paperwhite at amazon... I saw the fire 7 . and bought 2 of those at $34 a pop. love them..... before I flew back to the DR last month......I gave all my hard cover books to the lending library at the local coffee shop, would drop off a arm load most mornings...then drink a latte as the customers would grab every one, many leather bound old ones.......Doc.....

16. Likes Squat liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234