Kindle Recommendation

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm a voracious reader, and my Kindle is a lifesaver in DR. I'm on my third one, and the page turner button sticks, and jumps ahead several pages sometimes, so it's time for #4.

I'm wondering if anyone recommends a particular model over another. I had the original with the keyboard buttons, and last two were the smaller size. Now they offer the Paperwhite, and some others. Pros and cons?

Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have the paperwhite. Improvement over the one with the button page turner.

It doesn't like cold fingers, because it won't respond well.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I have the Paperwhite for the adjustable hi def light and the long battery charge. Keep it on airport and recharge will last a week.Take it off airport occasionally to receive any upgrades that happen behind the scenes or pages as it were.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I second everything Abuela just wrote. I've had my Paperwhite since 2013. Not one problem, and it goes almost everywhere with me. It's small enough to carry in the larger pocket of a pair of cargo shorts, or an inside pocket of a jacket. I highly recommend it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I will add I have a cover with a swivel out LED light that also works well...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The Paperwhite was a blessing. I remember the days of dedicating one entire suitcase to paperbacks.

Me too. And then I didn't know what to do with them as I read them. I used to leave them in hotel lobbies. One year we rented an apartment in Santo Domingo for a month when we were putting on an extension for a kitchen, and found out the landlord collected books for his tenants (he had about 6 apartments he rented in side by side buildings), so found an outlet. :)

I also subscribe to a daily email that offers free and deeply discounted e-books. www.bookbub.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I upgraded to the Kindle Fire about a year ago, but next time will opt for the Paperwhite. I am reading less and I think the weight and brightness of the Fire is part of the problem.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I upgraded to the Kindle Fire about a year ago, but next time will opt for the Paperwhite. I am reading less and I think the weight and brightness of the Fire is part of the problem.
Agreed.

Two different machines.

It's the glare of the Fire that's the problem. The brightness can be adjusted.

The Paperwhite looks like reading....paper. :)

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Why go refurbished? Brand new is $119. Where they do get you is on the cover, and those prices can fluctuate depending on your preference.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I'm a voracious reader, and my Kindle is a lifesaver in DR. I'm on my third one, and the page turner button sticks, and jumps ahead several pages sometimes, so it's time for #4.

I'm wondering if anyone recommends a particular model over another. I had the original with the keyboard buttons, and last two were the smaller size. Now they offer the Paperwhite, and some others. Pros and cons?

Thanks

I have the kindle Fire HD. It's very versatile, I can play games, watch Netflix, Amazon video, Read/purchase Kindle books bought from Amazon. It even takes pictures. I don't leave home without it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why go refurbished?

Personally, I wouldn't, but some people some people pride themselves on being thrifty. Just trying to help as someone else said they were planning to purchase one in the next day or so.

Remember, I'm the guy who won't drink at a colmado...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have the kindle Fire HD. It's very versatile, I can play games, watch Netflix, Amazon video, Read/purchase Kindle books bought from Amazon. It even takes pictures. I don't leave home without it.
The Fire HD is the best value in a tablet anywhere. And it is easily hacked to link with the Google Play Store, so you're not limited to just the Fire Store.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
I have 2 Fire and have gifted a few. I've picked mine up for about $40 USD when on sale which seems to be fairly often.

May 29, 2006
I use a $40 Digiland tablet from Best Buy for everything, including Kindle and Audible. I have two 1500mA power packs to keep it charged all day.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I love my Paperwhite, but I also have a Fire 8. Paperwhite is for books only, while the Fire 8 is for Netflix.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I decided to go with the new Paperwhite, not interested in a tablet, it's just for books.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!