Teaching Salaries

Dreamer1994

Apr 27, 2017
Hi all,

I'm planning on moving to DR next summer from New York. My parents are going to take over a business over there (which I have very little interest helping run) so I'm double majoring in public relations and teaching. I'm interested in knowing what Santiago Christian School pay their teachers? I have multiple cousins who attended the school and they all recommend it. 

I would preferably like an international school because they teach in English. If you have any other school suggestions (along with their salary) that would be great! I would hate to only count on getting a job in that school. 

Thanks in advance! I look forward to living in DR. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Best of luck with your move. I've been told that teachers hired from abroad earn more than those hired locally, maybe someone here can confirm that. Since it sounds like you're still in school and have no experience teaching, you may not command a high salary, but by all means, submit your resume. It's coming up on the time that schools are hiring for August. Some include an apartment and ticket home once a year.

There are a couple of threads here listing private schools in DR.

Dreamer1994

Apr 27, 2017
Best of luck with your move. I've been told that teachers hired from abroad earn more than those hired locally, maybe someone here can confirm that. Since it sounds like you're still in school and have no experience teaching, you may not command a high salary, but by all means, submit your resume. It's coming up on the time that schools are hiring for August. Some include an apartment and ticket home once a year.

There are a couple of threads here listing private schools in DR.

Thanks for responding!! I would be starting August 2018, so I still have some time left to apply. 

I looked through multiple private school threads and couldn't find anything regarding salary unfortunately.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks for responding!! I would be starting August 2018, so I still have some time left to apply. 

I looked through multiple private school threads and couldn't find anything regarding salary unfortunately.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight.

Two years ago, the government gave DR teachers a big salary hike but it's still small by North American standards. The wage hike was done prior to an election. Nothing has been done since. There are secular private schools run by various religious denominations in the DR. I don't have any information on them. I'm familiar with the one in Luperon. It appears to be well run and academically oriented. 

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A few years ago we had a wonderful poster on this board, something like Oklahomamom or something like that. She was a roaming teacher, having taught at Carol Morgan in Santo Domingo and was then teaching in Saudi Arabia.

She always recommended that wishful teachers go to the educational job fairs around the country.

As another poster has so wisely said, "they pay overseas hires a whole lot more than domestic hires."

Also practice your writing skills; your post seemed a little jumpy and discombobulated to this reader. No matter, in a year or so you will be fine.

Cordially,

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The teachers here get paid like crap. I don't care where you teach you will not make much.

LOL, it is rare to hear a teacher in any country say they make good wages. Teachers in the DR are not well paid by first world pay standards but they are well paid by Dominican standards.

FROM their website: Candidates must have a US state teacher license as well as evidence of an evangelical Christian faith commitment. Two years of experience is preferred and previous international teaching experience is a plus.

We pay a basic salary adequate for local living. Initial commitment is your choice of two, three, or five years with generous corresponding benefits.

How to Apply

If you are interested in joining the Santiago Christian School family, please email your resume (including license information) and a cover letter to Anne Cohen at employment@scs.edu.do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A basic salary for local living. That is more like a volunteer position.

I would suggest staying where you are and looking for a real job.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010

Come on Windeguy:glasses:. This person needs to give it a try. Nothing ventured. Nothing gain. You only live once..YOLO.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Teaching here is close to volunteer work. Why , unless you have to. Teachers in the U.S make good coin, have great benefits especially administrative positions. Don't even get me started on what college professors make in the U.S Mucho $$$

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A few years ago we had a wonderful poster on this board, something like Oklahomamom or something like that. She was a roaming teacher, having taught at Carol Morgan in Santo Domingo and was then teaching in Saudi Arabia.
Expatsooner - we're still in touch. She taught in Kuwait and Pakistan and is now back in the US.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

How dare you. What do you consider a "real" job to be? For some people in this world, it is not all about "how much money can I make right now?" Every person is different. Many people take positions in various fields in this world for more than just money. You have no idea of the OP's background, current status, or future aspirations....only the OP does. The person asked a question, and deserves an honest answer.....without ridicule. It should be left to those that are within the education profession, have a knowledge of the institution she refers to, or those that can point her in the direction of those that do. C'mon winde, you're better than that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Come on Windeguy:glasses:. This person needs to give it a try. Nothing ventured. Nothing gain. You only live once..YOLO.

It is true you only live once. And when you put yourself into a hole by taking a low paying job, it is hard to climb out of that hole in the future. That is why I recommend against such folly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How dare you. What do you consider a "real" job to be? For some people in this world, it is not all about "how much money can I make right now?" Every person is different. Many people take positions in various fields in this world for more than just money. You have no idea of the OP's background, current status, or future aspirations....only the OP does. The person asked a question, and deserves an honest answer.....without ridicule. It should be left to those that are within the education profession, have a knowledge of the institution she refers to, or those that can point her in the direction of those that do. C'mon winde, you're better than that.

I NEVER recommend anyone to come to the DR if they need a job and cannot do their work on line for real money. A teaching job in the DR does not pay real money. I speak from MY perspective on how things work in this world. Of course the OP can take whatever path they want.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
My understanding is a new Dominican teacher in public schools start at 20,000 pesos a month but also they get some nice benefits such as health insurance. That's a good starting point. I agree with Windeguy.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There was someone here a few weeks ago that posted she saw visa applications from one or more teachers here and they were making about $30,000 usd a year! Comparable to starting wages in some states in the U.S. And, when I pointed that out, the mod deleted it because it was not DR related, or off-topic or something.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
There was someone here a few weeks ago that posted she saw visa applications from one or more teachers here and they were making about $30,000 usd a year! Comparable to starting wages in some states in the U.S. And, when I pointed that out, the mod deleted it because it was not DR related, or off-topic or something.

That's really hard to believe. All of my teacher friends here make between $400-$600 a month.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
That's really hard to believe. All of my teacher friends here make between $400-$600 a month.
It's possible that visa application included other income. Many teachers at private schools here make about 14-16k USD per year to start (plus various benefits, such as insurance, plane ticket(s) etc.).....but often the teacher (and/or spouse) brings in other income. Many private Christian schools here provide some means, like a stateside clearing house, to supplement the school salary....such as raising support from folks/churches back home. Many of these teachers (like my wife) are married to missionaries who raise support from churches and private donors. Since it is processed through the school's clearing house, it shows as income for her.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Many teachers supplement their salaries by tutoring students after normal school hours and/or on weekends. Regardless if it's not the best longterm financial decision, hats off to them for their dedication.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My understanding is a new Dominican teacher in public schools start at 20,000 pesos a month but also they get some nice benefits such as health insurance. That's a good starting point. I agree with Windeguy.

If they have a proper Degree they usually make between 28,000 and 34,000. There are many on short term contract for 24,000 per month.