On the topic of music...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
We've been talking a lot about favorite music lately, and DRtechie had a great idea when he posted his favorites (well, bachatas, anyways). (See below)

1. Aventura - Alexandra
2. Fray Martinez - Aunque me llores
3. Zacarias Ferreira - Adios
4. Aventura - Cosas del Amor
5. Aventura - Este amor
6. Joan Pe~na - Jamas
7. Marino Castellano - Me pagaste Mal
8. Antony Santos - Me quiero morir
9. Marco Antonio Solis - O te vas o me voy
10. Joe Veras - Por tu amor -------the best!
11. Alex Bueno - Tiera mala
12. Aventura - Si un dia te olvidas
13. Monchi y Alex - Te quiero igual que ayer
14. Alex Rosario
15. Elvis Martes - Tu sabes bien
16. Fray Martinez - Vamos a olvidarla
17. Joe Vera y Alex Bueno - Viejo Amigo

The following are mine (merengue, bachata, and Latino):
1. Ramon Orlando - El Venao (I love this song)
2. Los Bukis - Navidad Sin Ti
3. Los Hermanos Rosarios - Moviendo La Cadera
4. Fernando Villalona - Te amo solo
5. Fernando Villalona - Me muero por ti
6. Rubby Perez - Tu Vas a Volar (or pretty much anything from Vuelve el Merengue...takes me back to a spontaneous road trip we took to Barahona, this cassette blasting the whole way from Sosua)
7. Antony Santos - No te Puedo Olvidar
8. Juan Luis Guerra - El Costo de la Vida (All Dominicans can relate)
9. Zacharias Ferreira - Adios
10. Antony Santos - Enamorado
11. Marco Antonio Solis - pretty much anything that comes out of his mouth (faves - Te Amo Mama, Amor en Silencio, Quiereme, Mi Linda Esposa)
12. Los Hermanos Rosarios - Morena Ven
13. Frank Reyes - Ya no Te Creo Nada
14. Zacharias Ferreira - Te Quiero a Ti
15. Zacharias Ferreira - Dame un Beso

It amazes me how these Latino singers pour their hearts out into a song. American musicians have nothing on them.

As I am always wanting to expand my music collection, I would love to hear everyone else's favorites, as well. This will also help the newcomers to the DR looking for good music to listen to.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
buying spree again...

Trina...i'm going to drive up to Lawrence, Ma (heavy dominican population north of Boston) and I will buy a couple more CD's. Of the list you made, which is your favorite Merengue and which is your favorite Bachata? I bought a compilation CD....Frank Reyes was REALLY good. Alex Bueno also......

thanks in advance, for being my Latina rubia music consultant,

mondongo

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hello

Wow, that's a tough one. I really like El Venao, but it's kind of old. That's a merengue, a really fun song. If you want, e-mail me at tburgos@ryanenergy.com and I will send it to you so you can listen to it.

If you wanted to buy a merengue CD, I would choose Rubby Perez, Vuelve El Merengue. Tu Vas a Volare is probably my favorite "newer" song - even though that's a couple of years old now.
There's also Moviendo la Cadera by Los Hermanos Rosario, I can't choose only one!

For bachata, I love Frank Reyes too, and Ya no Creo Nada is really good. But there's also a handful by Zacharias Ferreira, I guess my favorite would be Te quiero a Ti, it's really pretty. And of course, Fernando Villalona's Me muero por ti.

I've got all these songs in my music folder, so if your e-mail can hold a big file, I can send you whatever songs you want as a preview, or download them from www.winMX.com.

My pleasure. BTW, I really enjoyed your post on the economic situation of the DR, just haven't gotten my thoughts together enough to reply.

Have a good trip!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Music ??

Just a quick question.....
While I love merengue and bachata I'd like to know why in the DR. every colmado and disco must play them at full volume (2-300 watt speakers) at three o'clock in the morning with not a soul in sight except the dueno and maybe one or two "damas di noche)??????
No wonder everyone yells when they speak....they're all partially deaf from the volume!

Duarte

Feb 27, 2002
WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID? OH...OK. WHY DO WE LISTEN TO MUSIC LOUD?
'Cause it's a lot more fun to listen to music very loud than have to be all restrained and polite to everybody. Just my chopo side coming out...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You know what they say...

if the music seems too loud...you must be getting too old!!!

(at least that's what my kids tell me, when I complain about their music being too loud!)

But, really...there is only one way to listen to Merengue and Bachata...that's LOUD!!!

So you can really feel it in your bones...and all through your body...

Ok...don't get me going...I LOVE THAT MUSIC!!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Not only in the colmados and discos, what about in the cars when they are driving? No wonder they drive like crazy people, they can't hear themselves think! But must admit, I love it, too. It wouldn't be the same if it weren't that loud.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Loud!!

So I may be getting old but my windows rattle when I'm home alone with the stereo on!!!
However NOT at 3:AM with no one in sight.
Don't Dominicans ever SLEEP!!!!
The misic starts at 6 AM and stops at 4:30/% AM la prossima dia!!
When do I Sleep?????

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
And what about the trucks going around at 7:00 in the morning with a loudspeaker selling fruits and vegetables? I lived in a guest house, and when I first moved there, I didn't know any Spanish. These jerks (in my mind at the time) would come around, and talk in their loudspeaker and never shut up, you could hear them for miles. I was too lazy to get up and look who it was, besides, since you could hear them forever, you never knew at what point they were actually the closest to you. Anyways, it was during the time of the election, and I thought it was Hipolito's crew, campaigning for President. Every morning, I thought, "yeah, that's a good way to get votes, you idiot." A month later I saw the truck at 3 in the afternoon and clued in that it wasn't the campaigners!

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
music

I just got back from SD, and the most popular songs I heard was Tono Rosario- comer tigre (sp?), there was another song called Susanna (artist?) and mamajuana (artist ?), also one which when I asked who sang it they said kiticki ? (I had no idea how to spell it and neither did they). But as soon as these songs came on everyone was singing, even the little kids running around on the streets. If anyone has anymore info on these songs please let me know, I would like to download them.

Thanks

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I know there is a song called Tomando Mamajuana, and the group that sings it is called Mamajuana. I can't find it on the web to download, though. My husband will be back from Sosua on Thursday, and I may have more answers for you by then on these songs.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Trina. In the meantime if I speak to my DR friends I will try to find out more info.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Diana and Trina...

To?o Rosario is like GOD in DR...

He's an excellent showman, even though his songs don't have much substance...just great rhythm..."mambo"...

The songs you're referring to are sung by him....Susana...and the other one is just something he improvised in one of his live concerts...

It starts with something that says: Dominicano soy...and then apparently the background singers are not going at the same rhythm with the band...so To?o starts saying...
'Ta cruzao...'ta cruzao...'ta cruzao...(you're crossed or not on rhythm)...and then they go with just that line that everybody sings...Kulikitaca ti...Kulikitaca ta...and just repeat it...I don't know how to spell it either...but I think it's like that...

People seem to enjoy it because the "mambo" is so good, they get to move like only they know how to...I'm still practicing...

The other song about the mamajuana...Here at the radio station where I work we have a song called: "Live at Jimmy's"...by Angie Martinez...and the chorus says something like:

Santo Domingo...tomando MamaJuana...gozando en Colombia, Venezuela y las Bahamas...Costa Rica, Per? y Tijuana...ven conmigo mami, porque esto nadie lo para...

Is that the one you're referring to?

That "comer tigre" you mentioned...I have no idea what it is...

But if I could be of more help, let me know...

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
MusicQueen

I found the Dominicano soy yo song, but now with Morpheous going down, it's hard to download other songs. I didn't know he sang Susana, but the comer tigre I think he sings it as well. I think the Mamajuana song is the one you mentioned. When I looked into the Tono CD's there is one that is supposed to be released March 19 with Wilfrido Vargas, not sure if the songs are on that CD...it didn't show the song titles on amazon.com
Once my friend goes back to the DR I will ask her to find out about these songs or bring me back the CD when she returns.
Thanks

Misty

Mar 4, 2002
Could someone please tell me where I can find the Dominicano soy yo song? I'm not sure exactly what the realt name of the song is or if it is available on cd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
I found that song under a program called Morpheus under that song title. If you go to CD now or amazon.com just plug his name in and that song is on the latest CD.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
No wonder!!!

As you read this entire thread, it brings to mind how little taste for music some people have for their listening entertainment. My fellow merengue lovers, may I say that merengue is the worst listening music ever created. Merengue is for dancing. Any creep who listens to merengue in the morning ought to be sent to kilometro 28 with the crazies over there, specially Kulikitaki at 7AM.

Bachata listeners have a habit of sleeping with this abhorrent music which is mostly for "amargados". They listen to it all night long and wake up with it. I don't know how they manage it.

The group Mamajuana has the silliest songs. They sound like a group ready to play for the lunch hour swimming pool chanting at an all-inclusive resort. Remember "El Tiburon"? How people began to do silly arm waving and steps led by employees in resort areas. Well, this dumb Mamajuana group is my selection for the next "El Tiburon Award".

TW