Rain, Rain and More Rain

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
April is traditionally the dry month in DR. Not so this year and it has been virtually non stop rain since Easter Sunday.

This current long weekend has been miserable and this coming after some huge rainfall accumulations last week especially in the South West and San Cristobel Province. ( http://floodlist.com/america/dominican-republic-floods-april-2017 )

The rivers are at crest levels and overflowing autopistas today (6th November at San Cristobel exit, Duarte at km 37 and Samana highway just north of the 2nd toll as examples. (https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...stobal-por-autopista-6-de-noviembre-XG6967246 )

Communities are cut off widely in the country. Bridges are down.

The Malecon in Samana was flooded with water flowing down from the hills yesterday and is facing a big clean up today. The lower Yuna is flowing full and the rice fields are awash with water at just the wrong time when the rice is being harvested. Temporary banking of the river is evident to protect more widespread flooding. The rain was relentless yesterday and today in Las Galeras and the few tourists look miserable.

Duarte, San Cristobel and La Vega Provinces are in a bad way according to reports.

Viaducts serving Santo Domingo have been damaged and along with the turbid waters in the rivers water supply to many sectors in the city has been cut.

The rain damage caused late last year in the north has not been corrected yet. There is much more damage nationally now.

Is this the future for this susceptible country with climate change?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It's a Caribbean climate. Two years ago people were blaming climate change for the drought in DR. You can't have it both ways. The problem is the poor infrastructure, not the weather.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This so called global warming is killing me. I am in western Canada right now and in Alberta it has barley gotten above freezing the whole month of April. I believe this is just part of a pattern that cycles every 15 to 20 years. The last 5 months I was in the DR Nov to April 1 was the coldest, rainiest, and windy I have ever seen in the 9 years I have been going there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This so called global warming is killing me. I am in western Canada right now and in Alberta it has barley gotten above freezing the whole month of April. I believe this is just part of a pattern that cycles every 15 to 20 years. The last 5 months I was in the DR Nov to April 1 was the coldest, rainiest, and windy I have ever seen in the 9 years I have been going there.

I'm with you M.... 
they've all forgotten the Ice Age.....then the warm up.

Wasn't Paris ina glacier....?

I have been to those cave drawings in lower France.....

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I made this same exact thread last week and an overzealous mod deleted it. Just killing the whole interactive nature of this forum.

1. why?
2. Yes this rain has been ridiculous. It has literally rained everyday for the past 2 weeks in the capitol. Its driving me insane!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Can the political goons go back to OT and talk about global warming there and take the posts about New York and Canada with them.

This thread is about the massive unusual climatic conditions (for April) and rainfall in DR now and the overflowing rivers damage to crops, turbidity of crestful rivers making the normal outfall water collection impossible. http://hoy.com.do/crecidas-de-rios-...-acueductos-abastecen-agua-parte-del-gran-sd/

I saw the aftermath of the flooding in Samana this morning, the crop damage to the lower Yuna and the temporary embankments, then the overflowing river over the autopista.

Maybe other posters who live and travel in DR will have similar reports of the massive rainfall and flooding effects.

Anybody who has been out and about in DR recently and away from their computer screen will know it has been incredibly wet even for the Caribbean at extremes.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I made this same exact thread last week and an overzealous mod deleted it. Just killing the whole interactive nature of this forum.

1. why?
2. Yes this rain has been ridiculous. It has literally rained everyday for the past 2 weeks in the capitol. Its driving me insane!

Well said Alex

sanpedro just wanted to kill a thread and take it off topic

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...utopista-6-de-noviembre-en-direccion-sur-este

Here's the link about the 6th November Autopista slip road. AE our supermod. might be interested to see the article photograph having just left these shores.

San Cristobel province really has taken a hit. I lived in that province near Villa Altagracia and this is by far the worst flooding I can remember in that area by far going back to 2005. The Rio Haina has been in a serious state of flood and the Rio Maimon which starts in the mountains of San Cristobel has led in part to severe flooding in Sanchez Ramirez and Duarte downstream with the Yuna and Camu flooding farmland and destroying crops.

Anybody in Barahona to report on the massive rainfalls there?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know if the rainfall level is out of the ordinary for this time of year, but deforestation and extraction of sand and gravel from riverbeds certainly doesn't help the situation.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I did not attempt to kill a thread. Your words in Post #1 ended with "Is this the future for this susceptible country with climate change?" I simply pointed out that DR is within a Caribbean climate, has poor infrastructure, and was suffering from an extended drought 2 years ago, which people blamed on climate change. Nothing more. Nothing less. Were my statements incorrect, and how do they constitute killing a thread?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know if the rainfall level is out of the ordinary for this time of year, but deforestation and extraction of sand and gravel from riverbeds certainly doesn't help the situation.

The rainfall is normal. Walk down to your local colmado, and ask any Dominican. They will tell you that the cold comes in December for Navidad and Ano Nuevo (Christmas and New Year's), and then the rain comes around Semana Santa (Easter). Two years ago DR was in the midst of a drought, so when the normal rains return, people think the world is coming to an end. Ask a Dominican.
-Posted for all in general, not solely Chirimoya

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I did not attempt to kill a thread. Your words in Post #1 ended with "Is this the future for this susceptible country with climate change?" I simply pointed out that DR is within a Caribbean climate, has poor infrastructure, and was suffering from an extended drought 2 years ago, which people blamed on climate change. Nothing more. Nothing less. Were my statements incorrect, and how do they constitute killing a thread?

You refuse to read what was included in the OP:

Flooding has caused major problems in at least 6 provinces in the Dominican Republic after staggering amounts of rainfall over the last few days.

Fact.

DR has suffered dramatic changes in it's long term climate trends over the past few years as you acknowledge with the drought of a few years back. DR is considered one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to any climate changes.......no hint of politics here nor intended.

How well do you know the other Caribbean islands? Fact is they are being affected by changes in climate too and some of them at suffering vey long droughts now whilst DR gets staggering rainfall. What is a Caribbean climate? Start by reading up which countries are represented by the term Caribbean before entering a very varied subject which would be OT.

Add some insight into the current staggering rainfall in DR. And why change to discuss NY when you are Mister OT and can gladly argue without those who frequent that forum.

Back to DR rain.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The rainfall is normal. Walk down to your local colmado, and ask any Dominican. They will tell you that the cold comes in December for Navidad and Ano Nuevo (Christmas and New Year's), and then the rain comes around Semana Santa (Easter). Two years ago DR was in the midst of a drought, so when the normal rains return, people think the world is coming to an end. Ask a Dominican.
-Posted for all in general, not solely Chirimoya

Beer talk.

AS OP, staggering rainfall from a few days ago:

Magnitude
Rainfall level
50.8 mm in 24 hours
Polo-Barahona - April 21 to April 22, 2017
Rainfall level
396.0 mm in 24 hours
Aerop. De Barahona - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
284 mm in 24 hours
Polo-Barahona - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
240 mm in 24 hours
Villa Altagracia - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
89.2 mm in 24 hours
Peralta - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
87.4 mm in 24 hours
Oviedo - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
71.3 mm in 24 hours
Juma-Bonao - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
70.1 mm in 24 hours
San Cristobal - April 22 to April 23, 2017
Rainfall level
149.9 mm in 24 hours
Villa Altagracia - April 23 to April 24, 2017
Rainfall level
96.4 mm in 24 hours
Aerop. de Barahona - April 23 to April 24, 2017
Rainfall level
92.7 mm in 24 hours
San Jose De Ocoa-Met - April 23 to April 24, 2017
Rainfall level
71.1 mm in 24 hours
Bani - April 23 to April 24, 2017

25.4mm = 1 inch

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ju10 and Alex 

You all know how I feel about the extraneous comments..

In addition to the huge rainfall,how about the discrepancies in geography?

SD got big rain last week while our area , Cabrera, got not much if anything significant.
That to is an oddity.

Certainly, the weather pattern is different.....

And disastrous for many affected 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...utopista-6-de-noviembre-en-direccion-sur-este

Here's the link about the 6th November Autopista slip road. AE our supermod. might be interested to see the article photograph having just left these shores.

San Cristobel province really has taken a hit. I lived in that province near Villa Altagracia and this is by far the worst flooding I can remember in that area by far going back to 2005. The Rio Haina has been in a serious state of flood and the Rio Maimon which starts in the mountains of San Cristobel has led in part to severe flooding in Sanchez Ramirez and Duarte downstream with the Yuna and Camu flooding farmland and destroying crops.

Anybody in Barahona to report on the massive rainfalls there?

It's been awful in provincia San Cristobal, the Rio Nigua and Rio Haina are flooded, my brother in law had to turn back when coming to us. Thankfully, we're at the top of a hill from the beach, so no problems for us personally.  We were worried about getting to the airport, but no issues yesterday. It's sad seeing the brown river water, and how the ocean is all brown too from the mud being washed out there. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
You refuse to read what was included in the OP:

Flooding has caused major problems in at least 6 provinces in the Dominican Republic after staggering amounts of rainfall over the last few days.

Fact.

DR has suffered dramatic changes in it's long term climate trends over the past few years as you acknowledge with the drought of a few years back. DR is considered one of the most vulnerable countries in the world to any climate changes.......no hint of politics here nor intended.

How well do you know the other Caribbean islands? Fact is they are being affected by changes in climate too and some of them at suffering vey long droughts now whilst DR gets staggering rainfall. What is a Caribbean climate? Start by reading up which countries are represented by the term Caribbean before entering a very varied subject which would be OT.

Add some insight into the current staggering rainfall in DR. And why change to discuss NY when you are Mister OT and can gladly argue without those who frequent that forum.

Back to DR rain.

ju10prd,
Listen, you were right. What could I have been thinking?
I thought that since the Dominican Republic was located in the Caribbean that they might have a Caribbean type climate. You know, like tropical? Kind of the reason that most people in non-tropical locations travel or relocate there? Who knew I was wrong? When I step out of my house in San Pedro next week, I'll be sure to tell my neighbors and friends that no, we are not in a Caribbean or tropical climate, but rather an arid, arctic, or hybrid oceanic-continental climate.
The DR being located in the Caribbean is now an Off Topic conversation? Is this not DR1?
I added the insight into your "staggering" rainfall, as that according to Dominicans, the time before, during, and after Semana Santa (Easter) is very rainy. Historically. Ask a Dominican. I believe they would understand their own country, no?
I mentioned New York because I am currently visiting here, and the temps on Friday and Saturday were in the high 80's. Today it maxed out in the high 50's. 30 degree temp drop. Climate change?
And due to the temp drop, you are incorrect again, it's not beer talk, but rather coffee talk. Too chilly for beer, although a good Merlot would be nice right around now. Have a nice night.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It's been awful in provincia San Cristobal, the Rio Nigua and Rio Haina are flooded, my brother in law had to turn back when coming to us. Thankfully, we're at the top of a hill from the beach, so no problems for us personally.  We were worried about getting to the airport, but no issues yesterday. It's sad seeing the brown river water, and how the ocean is all brown too from the mud being washed out there. 

I believe the road to San Cristobel from Villa Altagracia which crosses the Rio Haina and follows the valley is closed and communities are cut off. The Haina to Managuyabo road bridge is in a shaky condition too.

I was shocked at the heavy rainfall in Samana this weekend. Samana can be a wet province but this was exceptional, hard heavy steady rainfall that one associates with a tropical storm.

And those poor rice farmers around Arenoso in the Yuna valley trying to harvest a crop and get to the mills. The damage will be significant for the rice farmers but the Yuna valley is cropped with so much and is under water.

It would be interesting to get some reports from Barahona. They got 396mm in just 24 hours which is more than Sandy and six times the average monthly rainfall!