To Jane J

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
I very much liked your reply to my questions on moving to the DR. I would like to hear more from you on your experiences in Sosua and Cabarete. If you wouldn't mind. When you mentioned the New Wave bar it got me excited because you kow excactly where I am coming from. Would love to hear more and how easy you think it owuld be for me to get a serving job in Cabarete. Sosua is actually prospering in the restaurant area, however, they only hire local males. So that is why i thought Cabaret would be better. Look forward to your reply.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think I'll send you an email on this subject a bit later on...

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I just realized your email is not available...Oh well...

Yes, Cabarete would be much better - I think the type of tourists there are more inclined to actually leave a tip! But even there, I wouldn't count on making the same kind of money you would make in Toronto. But definitely enough to survive, especially if you don't have to pay rent. The minimum base salary for waiters is incredibly low, but in addition to the tips, you're meant to get a percentage of your sales (10% or 20% - I can't remember...)

In the various restaurants I worked at in Sosua, I was always the only female waiter, and always the only non-Dominican. You may think they only hire local males, but you could be wrong, as many tourists are intrigued to see non-locals working there and relieved to find someone who speaks English, French, German, etc. Getting the other staff to accept me was a battle in itself, but eventually most of them came around.

I worked at Juan Miranda's Caribbean Restaurant (now defunct), Guajiro's (which is now an Italian restaurant - the big one on the corner of Pedro Clisante opposite what used to be PJ's) and La Roca. Oh, and that yucky bar/restaurant in the lobby of Hotel Central, from where I was fired for not wanting to stand in the street and forcibly drag passers-by into the restaurant. That was my last waitressing job in Sosua, when, at my husband's request / demand, I began looking for more *serious* types of work...

In any case, I agree that Cabarete makes better sense - and would be more fun, too. You won't be able to really decide though until you're actually there and talking to people. You'll see once you start making friends and connections. You may even find something better not related to bar or restaurants.

When are you going back?

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
Thank you Jane,
Your reply is most helpful and intriguing. I plan to go back as soon as I can gather up enough cash, which looks like 4 or 5 months. In the meanwhile I am taking Spanish courses and getting myself familiarized with the proper procedure of actually living and working in the DR which doesn't seem to be too difficult. Do you live there now or are back in North America? I appreciate your responses immensely. Look forward to chatting with you more, if you like.
Cheers,
Jen

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience for you! Be careful though - when I first went there it was with the idea that I would stay for 6 months. I came back here (to Montreal, actually) 8 years, one husband and two kids later...The best laid plans and all...

Where's your Dad's condo?

WhiteWave

Mar 5, 2002
HIs condo is in El Neptuno on La Puntilla, just before Pier Giorgio. Know it? And you know what, I am not going there with any plans. Whatever happens will happen, and I believe that is how life should be. We just need to follow the signs. Very glad it all worked out well for you. Talk to you soon. This site is wonderful, isn't it.