Hotel Isabel La catolica Boutique

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I stayed in 3 rooms at this property recently. First the Felipe was very nice enough room in the bedroom and an awesome large bath. The first day there was a blackout and no running water, so there is that possibility staying at this type of property in Santo Domingo, however the rest of my stay this did not happen. The Felipe did not have a safe which I was told would be available the next time I stayed. The second room I stayed in was the suite Isabel La Catolica. the room was big and beautiful with nice fixtures and large bath. Unfortunately there was an odor in this room that was relentless, also there was no ventilation in the bathroom(possible cause???) I mentioned it to ownership and was told that when it rains the sea rises and causes this odor and all the buildings have it. They proceeded to place a few air fresheners in the room but it helped only mariginally. I would love to know exactly what the odor was and the cause, and its such a shame cause the room is beautiful. I hope they can get it corrected. The third room I stayed was the Juana La Loca Suite. There was no such odor in this room it was beautifully appointed with white furniture and a lovely bathroom with white marble floor tile. Simply beautiful. Although there was a problem with the shower pressure (need a plumber to fix the tub spigot) I had to pull the handle to get any desired pressure. Like I said overall a very nice hotel but needs a few kinks worked out as any new hotel would.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I always recommend airbnb to my friends and family that want to visit me here. I find that the more expensive hotels are ok but the budget friendly alternatives have their fare share of issues.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I always recommend airbnb to my friends and family that want to visit me here. I find that the more expensive hotels are ok but the budget friendly alternatives have their fare share of issues.

AirBNB is an interesting option, but I always felt if lacked security and the absence of a safe is also a reason I don't opt for it. Having stayed at these types of properties several times, I also am concerned about security as it seems the people that work at these hotels are not well vetted and not well paid. I welcome any thoughts.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
to be honest the safe in an hotel is only really good to stop someone from lifting something ..as in a watch or piece of jewelry ....but to stop someone from an actual breakin and robbery ...they can be pulled off the wall
I used airbnb and found it very good ...I found an apt in the colonial zone that I thought was very safe and secure and at a reasonable price ...when you are staying more than a couple of days I think an apt is much better than a hotel

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
AirBNB is an interesting option, but I always felt if lacked security and the absence of a safe is also a reason I don't opt for it. Having stayed at these types of properties several times, I also am concerned about security as it seems the people that work at these hotels are not well vetted and not well paid. I welcome any thoughts.

Most of the condos I've been to have security

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I stayed in 3 rooms at this property recently. First the Felipe was very nice enough room in the bedroom and an awesome large bath. The first day there was a blackout and no running water, so there is that possibility staying at this type of property in Santo Domingo, however the rest of my stay this did not happen. The Felipe did not have a safe which I was told would be available the next time I stayed. The second room I stayed in was the suite Isabel La Catolica. the room was big and beautiful with nice fixtures and large bath. Unfortunately there was an odor in this room that was relentless, also there was no ventilation in the bathroom(possible cause???) I mentioned it to ownership and was told that when it rains the sea rises and causes this odor and all the buildings have it. They proceeded to place a few air fresheners in the room but it helped only mariginally. I would love to know exactly what the odor was and the cause, and its such a shame cause the room is beautiful. I hope they can get it corrected. The third room I stayed was the Juana La Loca Suite. There was no such odor in this room it was beautifully appointed with white furniture and a lovely bathroom with white marble floor tile. Simply beautiful. Although there was a problem with the shower pressure (need a plumber to fix the tub spigot) I had to pull the handle to get any desired pressure. Like I said overall a very nice hotel but needs a few kinks worked out as any new hotel would.

Wow. Doesn't sound like a place I would want to stay at. Where is this place located in SD?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Wow. Doesn't sound like a place I would want to stay at. Where is this place located in SD?

Calle General Luperon #154 Zona Colonial. But why would you say that the property is actually very newly restored and quite lovely.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Calle General Luperon #154 Zona Colonial. But why would you say that the property is actually very newly restored and quite lovely.

Now I'm wondering why they called it Hotel Isabel la catolica, its 2-3 blocks off Isabel La Catolica.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

after your glowing report ....their prices will probably double and it will be next to impossible to get a room there

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Uh, I don't know? You say that one of the rooms had a bad smell to it, another had a plumbing problem and it had just been remodelled. What did you pay per night here? I will stick with Hotel Conde de Penalba. Best location in the Colonial Zone at a fair price with a great outdoor cafe right in Columbus Square.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Uh, I don't know? You say that one of the rooms had a bad smell to it, another had a plumbing problem and it had just been remodelled. What did you pay per night here? I will stick with Hotel Conde de Penalba. Best location in the Colonial Zone at a fair price with a great outdoor cafe right in Columbus Square.

The Felipe(Standard) is $60 and the Suite is $70.00

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Now that I think of it it was the exact same odor that was in the mens room at Jet Set. Sewer gas. So beware if you are renting the Isabel la Catolica Suite in this hotel you may run into this problem.