For Those Living Santiago, A Question

May 12, 2005
For those currently living in Santiago, has there been a noticeable improvement in the cleanliness and functioning of the city government?

I only ask as I see Abel's social media presence and constant publicizing of his cleaning up of the city and especially in the commercial zones. Is it hype or is there substance to it?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We are in Santiago often.

Yes, I would say there are noticeable improvements, especially road improvements and general cleanliness. I see new paint, especially on curbs, lane dividers and crosswalks all over.

I don't know who is responsible, but someone is getting the job done.

May 12, 2005
Here is the most recent post from Abel. Hope this is not just temporary and for show. Glad to see someone really trying to make a difference.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/AbelMartinezD/videos/1520948754584774/[/video]

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....The new mayor has made garbage collection a matter of importance, is a vast improvement for a few years ago. ...no more piles of that stuff...many things look cleaner....on the other hand the mayor has drawn the ire of many in the city by shutting down some of the businesses that use sidewalks, public places... you know the places the poor people shop... all in all a vast improvement....from a resident of Santiago..........

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Great improvement in trash collection, one area that I´m in often now has the garbage trucks coming at least twice a day.

One corner was a large eye sore (Site where everyone threw their garbage in the street corner, rats every where, smelled bad always), Abel had come by and promised the people it would be fixed.

He kept his promise and it was completely cleaned up and he also fixed up the corner which was a total mess.

Where I live, the garbage truck came perhaps, once a week, or sometimes once in 2-3 weeks. They now come several times a week.

I´m having trouble keeping up with the garbage collection,
so they have something to pick up.
:classic: lol

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have lived here in Santiago for over a year and have visited often for over 10 years. There is a noticeable difference. Garbage pickup seems to be daily and street cleaning weekly.
They keep the park on Calle del Sol clean and trimmed the shrubs/trees lately.

I hear it is due to the mayor and I don't care if he is getting kick backs from the garbage company (sorry but here too long to not be cynical) I like the change. He even had the drains cleaned out so I can now walk by the one down the street without holding my breath.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... He even had the drains cleaned out so I can now walk by the one down the street without holding my breath.

Yep, forgot about that.

Yesterday drove past an intersection where they were cleaning out the drains.
A very larger pile of black goop was removed from the drains.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I live here in (La Joya) Santiago. I´ve noticed a huge difference. They are fixing things around
the city like street lights and paving the roads. I´ve also noticed lately the police seem to be
more active by chasing down the cowboys who like to shoot guns. I think this new mayor is
doing a lot of good for this city and the people who live here.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I live here in (La Joya) Santiago. I´ve noticed a huge difference. They are fixing things around
the city like street lights and paving the roads. I´ve also noticed lately the police seem to be
more active by chasing down the cowboys who like to shoot guns. I think this new mayor is
doing a lot of good for this city and the people who live here.

When those street pavers finish, can you send them over to San Pedro de Macoris? Good to see you're getting results from a new mayor.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yep, forgot about that.

Yesterday drove past an intersection where they were cleaning out the drains.
A very larger pile of black goop was removed from the drains.

I hear that black goop is great with arroz con pollo.

flbmac31

May 31, 2017
I'm a US expat Colonel living here in Santiago about three years while my wife finishes her professorship at PUCMM. There is some serious cleaning going on that is very noticeable. Some parts of the city are still strewn with trash but improvements are occuring slowly to overcome bad habits of not having good civic control.

They are also agressively repaving the roads. This is great, but adding three inches of new asphalt, altough esthetic, without raising the manhole and service accesses only leaves your car open to tear up the suspension - or worse, to weave in traffic and hit someone or be hit.

Cheers from Santiago

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I came back from Santiago last week. I was there 3 weeks and couldnt believe how much cleaner Santiago is. The streets were paved. Very nice to see. I hope the mayors work doesn't end there. Hes been tough but he has to be because people just want to do whatever. One thing missing are garbage cans and bins to put garbage in.

Driving through the city at night with all streets lights fixed and turned on, including the tunnel underneath the Santiago entrance was very nice. Still missing manhole covers in a few places. They have been missing for years coming into the city from Licey. Very dangerous.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I think what the mayor is doing here in Santiago is a shinning example of what is possible in this country. I lived in the capitol and Puerto Plata & Sosua before moving here and have never regretted my move to Santiago.