Anyone know when Claro Fibra will expand beyond Sea Horse?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
So many of us are waiting for faster internet!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hear it will happen mañana or la próxima semana at the latest. When I left Lomas Mironas I had to give it up and haven't seen it since. I too am on the waiting list.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I live at Encuentro and saw the crew installing new cable on the poles by Coconut Palms a few days ago.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
fwiw

I live in SHR and have the new fiber (10 mg) and also have an apartment in Ocean One with Claro on the phone (5 mg).  I use a slingbox to watch the dodgers and lakers (I know why?) and it works MUCH better in the Apartment (stutters in SHR). I think it has to do with latency but to be honest it ain't a big improvement ..... (and it should and I don't know why). Any thoughts ....

singletravel

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For the sake of discussion let's accept that the throughput speed that is possible with fiber greatly exceeds the speeds supported by most modems, routers and network cards.

Fiber shines at higher speeds that coax cable and twisted pair cannot sustain without data loss. If you have a fiber connection and your video streaming experience stutters, latency may well be a factor but if you were sucking down 40+ mb/s the latency in your provider's network would cease to be a big concern due to buffering. Latency is most disruptive in games where stuff appears and disappears on the screen very quickly. I can't count the number of times I've been shooting at something that is no longer there.

Here in the DR no providers offer much more than 100 mb/s service but eventually (as in a really long time from now) this country could conceivably offer 1Gb service on fiber connections. Anyone who has seen a 1080p movie download in less than a minute is never the same again.

Go faster young man or go home. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting that it is finally come in to an area near me.  Not so interesting is that it is CLARO who is the supplier. It has been a very long time in coming. Sorry to hear it may not be worth the wait. 

How much are they charging for the service? 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Interesting that it is finally come in to an area near me.  Not so interesting is that it is CLARO who is the supplier. It has been a very long time in coming. Sorry to hear it may not be worth the wait. 

How much are they charging for the service? 

When I had fiber it worked just fine. The hassle was getting the Claro account and getting the service installed. I was paying approx $3500 per month for 40mb/s internet, voip phone with 200 int'l minutes included per month. No television package although that option exists. Much cheaper, faster and more reliable internet than the service offered by that cable company that starts with the letter D.

I miss it a lot. Especially when I am paying my cable bill.

Feb 7, 2007
When I had fiber it worked just fine. The hassle was getting the Claro account and getting the service installed. I was paying approx $3500 per month for 40mb/s internet, voip phone with 200 int'l minutes included per month. No television package although that option exists. Much cheaper, faster and more reliable internet than the service offered by that cable company that starts with the letter D.

40 mbps and 400 domestic/international minutes on Claro Multiplan doble (no TV) would be 2,724 pesos today, all taxes incudes.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
So many of us are waiting for faster internet!

Right now as far as I know Claro Fiber is available in Sea Horse Ranch, Lomas Mironas, Playa Laguna and La Mulata. If you live in line of sight to one of those locations and have a reliable contact/friends there you can make your own contract for Claro Fiber at your friend's house and beam it via wireless link to your house. 100+ Mbps is easily supported now with minimal latency. Many companies and individuals (including myself) have done this. My house is far from the main road where the Fiber cable goes and Claro declined my request to install internet at my house, but I am enjoying 100Mbit connection from Claro.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Delancer is not available in my area, just Cable Del Norte, who seem to have fewer issues than Delancer.  Cable Del Norte will be obsolete if 40 mb/s is available at that price from Claro. Unless Claro sucks in reliability, which may happen. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sure the only thing keeping Delancer in business is the lack of a widely available much better option. Claro offers service where I live now but only on twisted pair. Yes it would be cheaper monthly but no one in my community that I know us uses Claro so I'd end up having to run and bury cable to my house from the closest connection point which is clearly no where near my house.

A little more than 2 years ago, Delancer offered 10 mb/s for $200 USD. Now it is offered for $150 USD per month. Tiered service offered on a sliding scale, 8, 6, 4 & 2 mb/s. I wish Claro or someone else could handle the infrastructure expansion and move my neck of the woods into 21st century offering good service and decent speeds are a reasonable price. I'll probably end up moving again before that happens.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Claro has had a fibre line installed along the main road, but for some reason will not allow people to hook up to it. Instead we are using a dsl line. The hub for the dsl line for the west side of Cabarete is near Ocean Dream. By the time the dsl line gets to kite Beach its speed declines to about 6 mbs.

Feb 7, 2007
You can get up to 40 mbps on Claro ADSL/VDSL. I currently have 20 mbps and my line could support their 40 mbps plan. I am quite close to a remote DSLAM though.

119kPbW.png

If you have one of those Huawei modems (or Zyxel , as above) you can check the attainable data rate in modem statistics. 10 mbps is actually quite doable with a solid stable line at a 2.5 km distance from the DSLAM, if the copper line does not have faults, have been recently built or rebuilt. If it has faults (menaing interference/noise will kick in) you may have issues to get 10 mbps at that distance at certain times of the day or days of the week and would e affected by intermittence (in which case Claro would downgrade your line to 5 mbps).

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Claro Fibre Optic Sosua :

our latest invoice : Renta Multiplan IP Claro - Mar 26 a Abr 25 . Total renta Multiplan IP Claro $ 2,495.00

Internet Flash 40MB/5MB, 400 Minutos libres, (en Llamadas Locales, Larga Dist.
Nac., Larga Dist. Int'l a 200 Destinos Fijos Excepto Cuba, Alaska, Belice,
Haití, Honduras, El Salvador y Nicaragua), Buzón de Mensajes, Cancelación
Llamada en Espera, Conferencia, Conoce Quien Llama Plus, Contrato de
Mantenimiento, Desvío de Llamadas, Llamada en Espera, Marcado Abreviado, Marcado
Aut. Número Ocupado, Retorno Ultima Llamada

No television

Taxes and other charges :
Llamadas a celulares 42.28
ITBIS 456.71
Otros Impuestos 304.47
Total del Mes $ 3,298.46

As far as reliability - service has been down ONCE in 20 months. And that was for an hour

we have too many devices to even list here.

7 times the speed we had with company D - 1/2 the price. And sooooo many outages with company D

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You can get up to 40 mbps on Claro ADSL/VDSL. I currently have 20 mbps and my line could support their 40 mbps plan. I am quite close to a remote DSLAM though.

119kPbW.png

If you have one of those Huawei modems (or Zyxel , as above) you can check the attainable data rate in modem statistics. 10 mbps is actually quite doable with a solid stable line at a 2.5 km distance from the DSLAM, if the copper line does not have faults, have been recently built or rebuilt. If it has faults (menaing interference/noise will kick in) you may have issues to get 10 mbps at that distance at certain times of the day or days of the week and would e affected by intermittence (in which case Claro would downgrade your line to 5 mbps).

An SNR (signal to noise ratio) of over 30dB. That's outstanding! You must very very close to the local hub.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Last week I spent a couple days visiting a friend in Perla Marina. His condo is near Cabana Natura, near the beach. It had the worst wifi and cell phone connectivity I have ever experienced. Needed to hang outside the window in the rain to make a cell phone call with my claro, and sitting a few feet from the wifi modem and still very slow useless service. Is this a problem with his building or is this normal for Perla Marina?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Last week I spent a couple days visiting a friend in Perla Marina. His condo is near Cabana Natura, near the beach. It had the worst wifi and cell phone connectivity I have ever experienced. Needed to hang outside the window in the rain to make a cell phone call with my claro, and sitting a few feet from the wifi modem and still very slow useless service. Is this a problem with his building or is this normal for Perla Marina?

This has nothing to do with Claro Fibra - there is none in Perla Marina. They only have slow old DSL and even worse - DeLancer with their Fiber-optic joke. Cell phone reception is bad due to a distance from the nearest tower, heavy trees and concrete walls.