50,000 Haitians could be kicked out of the US

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It was a temporary visa and could possibly not be renewed. Not really "kicked out".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Expect a least 10,000 of those to appear somewhere in the DR. SMH

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I saw a report on the news about this, but it was months ago. They were saying it's due to racism!

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
From this article it seems like they would be pretty good additions to the Dominican Republic. They have years in the US so they have learned structure, order and respect. They would have had to qualify for a tourist visa to get to America so they would have some financial backing. They also speak English and would likely have family that could send them money....

I think that they could do pretty good in a city like Santiago

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From this article it seems like they would be pretty good additions to the Dominican Republic. They have years in the US so they have learned structure, order and respect. They would have had to qualify for a tourist visa to get to America so they would have some financial backing. They also speak English and would likely have family that could send them money....

They "qualified" by being displaced by the massive earthquake and received TPS status which is different from a visitor's visa:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has begun hunting for evidence of crimes committed by Haitian immigrants as it decides whether to allow them to continue in a humanitarian program that has shielded tens of thousands from deportation since a devastating earthquake.

The inquiries into any criminal histories of Haitian immigrants were made in internal U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services emails obtained by The Associated Press. They show the agency’s policy chief also wanted to know how many of the roughly 50,000 Haitians enrolled in the Temporary Protected Status program were taking advantage of public benefits, which they are not eligible to receive.

https://apnews.com/740ed5b40ce84bb398c82c48884be616

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
My understanding is that if they were already there they got to stay. It was not like the US opened the door to 50k of them. I could be wrong though.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
My understanding is that if they were already there they got to stay. It was not like the US opened the door to 50k of them. I could be wrong though.
Generally speaking when Haiti get better or more livable they are supposed to go back, if they got themselves in trouble in the USA maybe fast track to deportation. Something like that.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Yes, best of luck to them. I have confirmed that TPS means that you can stay if you are already there. So Haitians on tourist visas who came after the earthquake or those who were living there illegally already are allowed to stay on a temporary basis. Based on Trumps actions so far, I expect him to renew TPS while being vigilant with those who have criminal activity in their history.

If things change for them in the States they would probably do pretty good in the DR as a plan B.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Yes, best of luck to them. I have confirmed that TPS means that you can stay if you are already there. So Haitians on tourist visas who came after the earthquake or those who were living there illegally already are allowed to stay on a temporary basis. Based on Trumps actions so far, I expect him to renew TPS while being vigilant with those who have criminal activity in their history.

If things change for them in the States they would probably do pretty good in the DR as a plan B.

Yeah I would let them stay personally. Obama ended the policy that if they got to the border they get a green card and can work.....maybe last September. He did the same with wet foot dry foot for Cubans. Thousands of Haitians got stuck in Mexico making the trip to the North when the border got closed on them. I hope they are doing OK.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I live here in Santiago, we're doing just fine with out them.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

....Interesting...if they had children while in USA... the children would be American citizen.... as far as a good deal for Santiago, not so sure 50k more would be a good idea.....Structure, order, respect,.......those words , I am trying to wrap my mind around, in conjuction with Santiago, Haitians?...wow gave me a headache...need a cold one.......Doc.......

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

....Interesting...if they had children while in USA... the children would be American citizen.... as far as a good deal for Santiago, not so sure 50k more would be a good idea.....Structure, order, respect,.......those words , I am trying to wrap my mind around, in conjuction with Santiago, Haitians?...wow gave me a headache...need a cold one.......Doc.......

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah I would let them stay personally. Obama ended the policy that if they got to the border they get a green card and can work.....maybe last September. He did the same with wet foot dry foot for Cubans. Thousands of Haitians got stuck in Mexico making the trip to the North when the border got closed on them. I hope they are doing OK.
Mexico is a much better place than Haiti. Unless those Haitians stayed in the northern part, which is the trouble narco part of Mexico, they are probably doing better for themselves in Mexico than back in Haiti.

I'm sure a few managed to slip into the US anyway.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Where did you confirm something that is NOT true? 

Temporary protected status (also called "TPS") is a temporary immigration status to the United States, granted to eligible nationals of designated countries.

In 1990, as part of the Immigration Act of 1990 ("IMMACT"), P.L. 101-649, Congress established a procedure by which the Attorney General may provide TPS to immigrants in the United States who are temporarily unable to safely return to their home country because of ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions.

On March 1, 2003, pursuant to the Homeland Security Act of 2002, Public Law 107-296, authority to designate a country (or part thereof) for TPS, and to extend and terminate TPS designations, was transferred from the Attorney General to the Secretary of Homeland Security. At the same time, responsibility for administering the TPS program was transferred from the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a component of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

During the period for which a country has been designated for TPS, TPS beneficiaries may remain in the United States and may obtain work authorization. However, TPS does not lead to permanent resident status (green card). When the Secretary terminates a TPS designation, beneficiaries revert to the same immigration status they maintained before TPS (unless that status had since expired or been terminated) or to any other status they may have acquired while registered for TPS. Accordingly, if an immigrant did not have lawful status prior to receiving TPS and did not obtain any other lawful status during the TPS designation, the immigrant reverts to unlawful status upon the termination of that TPS designation. TPS is not granted to persons that try to register after the first registration period ends, so if a person of a country that is currently under TPS did not register the first time TPS was assigned, then that person does not qualify for TPS.