BANCO POPULAR PROBLEM

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
BP account opened many many years ago on a Canadian Passport. I have 2 years asking BP to register my new passport info which they never did (my account would not show up on my new passport #...lots of hassles everytime I went to see a teller).

On Feb27/2017 my wallet was stolen with my BP debit card. I went to BP to get a new debit card and they said I had to register my new passport (even though they gave me the debit card in January). I made a stink about it and they FINALLY registered by new Passport (after 4 days wait).

HOWEVER: when registering my new passport I was given a new "SID or CID" number as if I was a new client (from what I understood) and I cannot obtain a debit card for my account. The BP client service people are more confused than I am when they see they cannot give me a debit card. In the end after talking to whoever on the phone me that it is "the NEW SYSTEM" (bug, I guess) and that I will have to open another account if I want a debit card. WTF?!

My account manager where I first opened my account years ago told me that there is nothing they can do.

Anyone have a solution or similar problem with new passports and BP?

Jan 7, 2016
You're a member of a growing club of clients of Banco Popular here in the D.R. They can't seem to understand their own line of business. The ONLY reason they would associate my NEW passport with my OLD account, was because my attorney was with me at the Branch in Santo Domingo when I was processing my Residency finalization, which required a Bank Letter from Banco Popular. She walked-them thru the process of adding the new passport #...go figure!

Sep 4, 2012
Banks in DR are the biggest circus there ever was. These clowns would make life hell on you for things so simple that a 5th grader would do blind. Could you attest that I hate banking in the DR?

It truly sucks!