Floating bridge closed

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Puente flotante, floating bridge open or closed?

Is the puente flotante back in place, open, to handle vehicle traffic ? The print and electronic media reported it closed fri or sat to allow passage of barges.

Will be traveling to Santo Domingo tomorrow am. The bridge is the shortest route to destination.

Regards, and thanks in advance for replies.

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
crossed it twice yesterday

OK. just checking. Reason: it has happened in past, bridge closed but unable to reopen promptly because it took on water and/or ramps could not align with shore. Took a while to fix.

Just praying it does not take on water when this one travels it.

Thanks and regards,

PJT

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
From today's dr1 news......... (May 9, 2017)

Floating bridge closed

The Metropolitan Transport Authority announced the indefinite shutdown of the floating bridge over the Ozama River in order to continue lily clean up on the Ozama River. The intense rains have delivered an unusual amount of lilies and plastic garbage that is accumulating against the bridge that leads to the Avenida España. Drivers are recommended to use the Juan Bosch and Francisco del Rosario Sánchez alternate bridges.

http://elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=534104

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From today's dr1 news......... (May 9, 2017)

Floating bridge closed

The Metropolitan Transport Authority announced the indefinite shutdown of the floating bridge over the Ozama River in order to continue lily clean up on the Ozama River. The intense rains have delivered an unusual amount of lilies and plastic garbage that is accumulating against the bridge that leads to the Avenida España. Drivers are recommended to use the Juan Bosch and Francisco del Rosario Sánchez alternate bridges.

http://elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=534104
We were there 2 weeks ago, intending on taking the floating bridge to get to the airport, and it was closed. What a mess to wind through the CZ to get on Las Americas.

Ugh.

We're beginning to really dislike going to Santo Domingo. It's just one massive traffic jam.

There will come a time, maybe next week ;) , when the area footprint of cars exceeds the total combined area of all the roads, and all traffic will stop forever...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I just went over the bridge this past Friday so I guess this most recent closure was in the past few days.

Santo Domingo is not really one massive traffic jam, more like one gigantic parking lot. :)

During daylight weekday hours if I can't get somewhere underground on the Metro I either wait till dark or just don't go.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just went over the bridge this past Friday so I guess this most recent closure was in the past few days.

Santo Domingo is not really one massive traffic jam, more like one gigantic parking lot. :)

During daylight weekday hours if I can't get somewhere underground on the Metro I either wait till dark or just don't go.

i took Caribe tours from Santo Domingo to POP about 2 months ago. it took close to an hour to get to Carrefour!! one day, really soon, nothing is going to move. not even in driveways.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i took Caribe tours from Santo Domingo to POP about 2 months ago. it took close to an hour to get to Carrefour!! one day, really soon, nothing is going to move. not even in driveways.

Close to an hour to get to Carrefour? Must have been a really bad traffic day as in normally only takes 45 minutes. LOL

Going the opposite direction coming into the city it is best to get off at Luperon and take the Metro into SD Centro. Too bad the opposite can't be done.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Close to an hour to get to Carrefour? Must have been a really bad traffic day as in normally only takes 45 minutes. LOL

Going the opposite direction coming into the city it is best to get off at Luperon and take the Metro into SD Centro. Too bad the opposite can't be done.

next time i head in that direction, the closest to the city i intend to get is Los Alcarrizos. these is a bakery supply place called NTD, and that is the only thing that will get me past Bonao.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I was with my ex a few months ago on Kennedy and it took 25 minutes (and almost a fight with a bus driver) to get from Churchill to Lincoln in front of Agora. I was supposed to drop her off at Agora, go to an office on the east side for an hour come back and pick her up and then drive back to Santiago. After the 25 minute ordeal to get one block I canceled the meeting, went in Agora with her for 30 minutes and headed back to Sanity (Santiago). I lived in the capitol for 6 1/2 years but you couldn't pay me to live there now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If they ever open the circunvalacion of Santo Domingo, it will help immensely.  

What's the holdup?  Any projected completion date?  We're SO looking forward to it. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

What's the holdup?  Any projected completion date?  We're SO looking forward to it. 
We took the bypass toward Las America's once...in the gigantic van.

It dumped into that garbage pit kn0own as Villa Mella. What a horrible drive through just to get to a horrible connection to 27 Feb. elevado.

Yeah! What's the hold up! Anybody know?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When I come back to the DR from the US normally my flight lands around 2:30 more or less (busy time...). From the time I get into a taxi (or private transportation) until I get to my home (El Millon) can easily at times be over 2 - 2.5 hrs. This bridge can be just horrible in traffic. Coming into the city is a nightmare... it is a mess. Even coming back from my MIL's which I take the Duarte, as soon as I hit the city (Carrefour more or less) the traffic is at a standstill.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

At least it is completed to the south. I have used it several times and it really helps (it drops you off in between Hainna and San Cristobal). I took it towards the airport and although far from completed at the time since I know Villa Mella I was able to navigate and still save time.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I went east on Avenida Mexico at 4 PM over the Ramón Matias Mella bridge to avoid the floating bridge. The floating bridge was was open.

I came back at 8 PM via the Avenida España and the floating bridge was open.

No biggie. I'm aplatanado.

shrug-smiley.png

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
We were there 2 weeks ago, intending on taking the floating bridge to get to the airport, and it was closed. What a mess to wind through the CZ to get on Las Americas.

Ugh.

We're beginning to really dislike going to Santo Domingo. It's just one massive traffic jam.

There will come a time, maybe next week ;) , when the area footprint of cars exceeds the total combined area of all the roads, and all traffic will stop forever...
I agree with you 100 percent thats why I stop driving in SD , its nuts besides all the cars the total lack of respect for lights other cars .. i dont deal with that no more its uber time for me.....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I agree with you 100 percent thats why I stop driving in SD , its nuts besides all the cars the total lack of respect for lights other cars .. i dont deal with that no more its uber time for me.....
... I second that ... uber is why my car is parked most of the time in driveway....going to playa Dorado today for some R+R... not sure how they can drive me for 2k pesos, Santiago to playa Dorado.... ..Doc.......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
At least it is completed to the south. I have used it several times and it really helps (it drops you off in between Hainna and San Cristobal). I took it towards the airport and although far from completed at the time since I know Villa Mella I was able to navigate and still save time.

We use it all the time, we pick it up at the beginning outside Haina. Saves a LOT of time to Duarte, avoiding SD