Riots in Ft. Lauderdale as Spirit Cancels Flights

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
It's on all the news channels, people getting themselves arrested , all over a hundred dollar air fare.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Well, it may be more than a $100 airfare. There maybe hotel costs, transportation costs, planned vacation, work, medical, etc.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I would shoot myself for flying on Spirit before getting to the point of fighting.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since they fly out of Atlantic City, we use them often, to Florida and Chicago. I must be lucky, never a problem 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I used to fly Spirit a lot. They were less expensive than other airtlines and flying from Tampa was easy.

Then the entire industry changed. Margins shrunk and airline solvency rumors were all over the business news.

It was Spirit that introduced "ala carte" flying: you paid for only what you used. Many, including myself, were outraged! How DARE they make me pay extra for two bags! And they took a hit.

But seems they were on the leading edge of where the airline industry was headed: now almost all airlines charge extra for bags, etc.

Being a cheap bang-for-the-buck penny pincher, Spirit made me reconsider how I travel. After I got over the outrage, I found I *could still* actually save some money with Spirit. One checked bag is fine. A small carry-on is fine (replacing my laptop with a Fire HD tablet was even better). All the other add-ons, I could take or leave, depending on the situation. I'm OK with Spirit now. We've come to some agreeable working solutions.

I suspect that other airlines will follow more in Spirit's path in the future. Just wait. They all have the economic problems that Spirit addressed years ago.

My biggest gripe about Spirit is they only have one flight to/from Santiago, a post-midnight arrival, and a post 3am departure. Those suck and throw my biorythms way off. If only Spirit had flights with better hours, I'd take them more...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

And BOOM , there it is ....

Now, What do i get for my prediction ??? ...that Dr Doofus LIT the FUSE..
United should never have paid him.. not a dime..
we will all be paying for it .

now
Get ready for some ANARCHY.. in the friendly skies.
This is only the beginning..

ok, i put my tin foil hat back on now...

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Too funny!! How or why would you get yourself arrested over a cancelled flight is beyond comprehension.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Too funny!! How or why would you get yourself arrested over a cancelled flight is beyond comprehension.

Because people are NUTS today ...and now they want to GET PAID for being NUTS...
simple as that .

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The prophet

And BOOM , there it is ....

Now, What do i get for my prediction ??? ...that Dr Doofus LIT the FUSE..
United should never have paid him.. not a dime..
we will all be paying for it .

now
Get ready for some ANARCHY.. in the friendly skies.
This is only the beginning..

ok, i put my tin foil hat back on now...

I would French kiss a random Spirit employee and ask for 10 K for NOT rioting :cheeky:

high credit score, entitled beatch

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

There are drama-prone people who unlike past generations have no idea what self discipline is nor do they realize that the best way to put a point across is with decorum and dignity. This is the reality TV generation and they have been led to believe that escalation of misunderstanding is the best path to conflict resolution.

My March/ April trip to SD was on a Spirit flight (I flew AA back). I chose to travel on Spirit because their flights fit my desired travel times going down and time was not an issue on the return. It just so happened that we experienced the last snow storm of the season on the day of departure and several passengers trips were de-railed by cancelled northeast connections.

I don't like Spirit's passenger policies, their lack of leg room, the fact that they led the industry in establishing carry-on penalties and seat assignment charges and they are not the best organized airline by far but those are management issues. I have no idea what they pay their ticketing and customer relations staff but it can't possibly be enough to make it worth all the misery heaped on them by disgruntled passengers on a regular basis. They are expected to placate passengers who start the conversations at top volume and fully animated, just like a bunch of little brats who have been denied another cookie.

On my recent flight, I waited until the agents resolved the issues with irate customers who didn't seem to understand that if the plane doesn't make it from the beginning of the run as the result of being grounded by weather, it can't possibly take off from the connecting airport. When all that was done and the agent was ready for me to check my bag I spoke to her in a normal tone of voice, smiled and she straightened out the problem of Spirit requiring me to retrieve my bag at FLL and recheck it, paying an additional bag fee to SDQ. She cleared that up in two minutes and rechecked my bag through to SDQ with no additional fee.

These agents are people, no better or worse than you or me. If folks allow them to do their jobs without contributing added duress they'd be surprised at their professionalism. Now, having stood up for the individuals who face the wrath of difficult customers every day, in the future I'd rather land at 3am than deal with Spirit again because their bosses and their whacky policies suck. Their response to the double bag fee "Oh you should have booked on the Spirit web sight"......well it looks like that'll never happen :tired:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Could you hold off a week or two? I just submitted an online job application to Spirit. :)

Well one thing for certain,

am NEVER going to Wing with you... that was my line you just straight up stole..

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
My only options are AA and Spirit and i dont find the customer svc, leg room, crowds etc much better on AA so I take the $100 average savings on Spirit. But i would never take that crazy 2am flight time from Santiago.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My only options are AA and Spirit and i dont find the customer svc, leg room, crowds etc much better on AA so I take the $100 average savings on Spirit. But i would never take that crazy 2am flight time from Santiago.
We took those flights once. We were like walking Zombies for two days after each flight.