legal title of my property

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
Ive been quoted $00 to check my title of ownership by the major law firm Guzman Ariza

This is too expensive

can anyone recommend someone to do this job for a reasonable price. The must be able to accept money transfer

I am out of the country and prefer an English speaking lawyer

thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi
Ive been quoted $00 to check my title of ownership by the major law firm Guzman Ariza

This is too expensive

can anyone recommend someone to do this job for a reasonable price. The must be able to accept money transfer

thanks
How are you going to determine a reasonable price. Query a number of lawyers and a number of land owners that have already gone through the process. Really comes down to trust, reputation, and ability to get it done right. Guzman has a lot of experience with this and a good reputation. Where is the land?
http://www.dominicanwatchdog.org/real_estate_dominican_republic
pay attention to number 3 in the link

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Hi

This is too expensive

thanks

If you were in the DR, you could just go to the Jurisdiccion Immobiliaria office and check in their computer lab for free. Also, put in for a certification of the title to confirm where things stand.

Jan 7, 2016
A USD $100 fee is probably pretty cheap if the title to the property isn't clearly filed or there are liens, squatters, etc. Some property "titles" are fraudulent.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A USD $100 fee is probably pretty cheap if the title to the property isn't clearly filed or there are liens, squatters, etc. Some property "titles" are fraudulent.

Well if the 100usd includes solving any issue, yes, but if it is the fee for checking in Tribunal de Tierras if the title is legit and free of embargoes / mortgages etc., it's rather steep. I guess it al depends on what the target clientele is willing to pay, I don't see anything wrong with charging more to expats that are worried to be using a lawyer that in the end is fraudulent and therefore choose for a reputable firm , even though they charge more. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Much of a professional's or a firm's fee is based on their reputation, degree of professionalism, experience and skill. In this case, offering service in English is a value added service that is important to some clients. The law firm you have approached seems to be ranked closer to the top of the list than the bottom so it is not unreasonable to expect their services to be priced higher than smaller or lesser known firms or individuals.

Be sure you understand what you are getting for your money. I suspect, that any problems with the title that need to be resolved or further investigated will cause the final bill to go up, potentially a lot depending on the circumstances. That would be a good point to clarify with them. Get and keep everything in writing. No verbal commitments.

You can choose to buy a Rembrandt, you can get a paint-by-numbers kit or you can buy the kit and have someone else apply the paint. You not being in the DR may add to the potential for costs to go up because of administrative overhead. At least with Guzman, if you feel dissatisfied, you can come back to DR1 and perhaps receive a measure of redress as they advertise on this site and maintain a presence in the Legal Forum.

That knife cuts both ways. I'm sure they can and probably will read this thread. Personally, I don't find $100 to have an educated professional perform a title search to be unreasonable. Is that amount higher than Juan with the office above the colmado, maybe but at least with Guzman, you can expect your emails to be answered once you pay the retainer and they can provide service in English. Two rather important points for an anglophone outside the DR.

Good luck.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Hi

This is too excan anyone recommend someone to do this job for a reasonable price. The must be able to accept money transfer

thanks

Land title fraud is rampant in the DR. You would pay a lot more in the USA for the same service. What is piece of mind worth to you? Knowing that you have a legal title to your property is paramount. Mr. Ariza, I do not know him, seems to be dependable and respected in this forum. I don't think you can do much better elsewhere.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi

This is too expensive

thanks

I meant $400

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Quality of service cannot be bought at discount prices.

The land title system is a entanglement a reputable law firm can handle with a reasonable degree of service and courtesy to their clients. Your possibly bringing in an unknown law representative may open up a can of worms of poor representation and unending requests to throw more money into the black hole. There have been many horror stories posted on DR1 of abuses by lawyers. So, the cost of $400 for Guzman service may seem unreasonable at this time but you can reasonably expect proper service from them. Quality of service cannot be bought at discount prices. You pay for what you get. rogerramjet1, please realize you are outside of the DR and lawyer shopping around the internet is risky yet it may provide you what you need.

Good Luck

Regards,

PJT

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
never ceases to amaze me how some people want to go cheap on legal advice ...I think it is one place where you want quality
there is no such thing as a cheap lawyer
and with Guzman Ariza you get quality