Protests in Cabarete for non-compliance with promise to pave streets

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Protests in Cabarete for non-compliance with promise to pave streets

Protests-in-Cabarete-for-non-compliance-with-promise-to-pave-streets.jpg

PUERTO PLATA.- With a fierce protest that for almost an hour blocked the traffic on the highway Sosúa – Sabaneta de Yásica, the residents in the sector La Ciénaga of Cabarete demanded from the governmental and district authorities the fulfillment of several promises to pave their streets which are impassable.

According to data provided by the commander Danny Zarzuela, protesters burned tires, threw trash, tree trunks and debris into the middle of the road, thus stopping the traffic, while carrying posters and chanting slogans demanding the asphalting of their streets, after several promises had been made by the authorities months ago.

The young Jimmy Mora warned that they will again block the main road that connects Cabarete with Sosua and other localities, because they will stand firm claiming the paving of streets in the sectors La Ciénaga and El Callejón de La Loma.

Likewise, a reliable source revealed to Puerto Plata Digital that in several sectors of the municipality San Felipe Puerto Plata, at any time protest could be registered to sue the authorities for not paving their streets, promised to them by the Mayor.

It is indicated that among the sectors that have been waiting for the beginning of the paving work – Los Bordas, Monte Rico and San Antonio in San Marcos, the urbanization Ginebra Arzeno, Proyecto Dilesa. The excuse they have been receiving is lack of economic capacity for the pavement.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital, NPN

May 13, 2017

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did notice that the propane station near the entrance to Encuentro got paved. And the entrances to some areas were paved to "make it look like something was done" when you drive by on the main highway.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
A good portion of the main road in El Callejon de La Lamo has be paved. Almost to the National park. Some but not most of the side streets have not been paved.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've been down into the Callejon almost every day lately. Almost all the side streets have been paved as well as the main road down to the National Park. All of ProCab has been paved and the entrance to Bario Blanco(maybe side streets also - haven't been down there)has been paved.

It seems like they skipped over La Cienega - hence the protests.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Related to ProCab, to my knowledge all of the residents paid collectively to have the every single road paved, for our Condo Complex each unit paid just about $ 420.00 US , so the fact it was paved was not a government doing, it was private & the residents endured those unpaved rocky, pothole roads for years. -Serge

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Sorry wrong key. I drove past La Cienega last night. There were 5 big dump truck in line to go into the village. It looks like they are getting ready to pave the roads or they are going to build something big.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm amazed that there was 100% agreement on this and that you got everyone in ProCab to pay.

Last I heard, about a week ago, around 80% had paid.

A couple of days ago they were doing Pista de Motocross, to the east of town, so it looks as if all will be done, little by little.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Somehow I cannot picture Winde in the street burning tires, tossing molotov cocktails. Speaking of paving the work going on for the P.P. to Santiago road is impressive. It's like real paving equipment being used. Driving to Santiago is way less dangerous as all the construction slows the traffic and stops the crazy drivers. It's almost normal. Drove to STI three times this week and did not have a single near deadly miss. The equipment and effort used on STI road could pave all of Cabarete in one day.