Title Insurance ?...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Does it even exist?... Stewart Title has a website that says it offers it but on the phone in the capital they say they do not.
There seems to be another company 'First American Title' but it just links to real estate agents selling properties.
I have looked but found nothing about this recently in the archives. The folks at banco Popular tell me it's not available in country. Anybody with any knowledge ?.. Thanks in advance.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I want to laugh at your question, but I know it's a serious one.. no title insurance of any kind whatsoever!!! Only type that comes close is 357 magnum and friend with shovel!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The closest thing is a deslinde in DR. Don't buy anything that doesn't have one.  No matter what..

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
I purchased 4 title policies on large parcels in Azua province. this was in 2006. It was expensive $6000.00 USD but it was not as good as a deslinde. It was with First American Title out of the Sunrise Fl. International Underwriting office. Not worth the money. Deslinde only, that's the way to go. AlterEgo is correct.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I knew all this & was just confirming my thoughts and thinking it can never hurt to ask... Thank you all,.

Have a great evening!

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
So, anyone, what is the approx. cost of "Deslinde"? Seem to be a given in a land transaction

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
So, anyone, what is the approx. cost of "Deslinde"? Seem to be a given in a land transaction

A deslinde only has to be done once on a property!! Once a deslinde was done you don't need to do again....seller pays for it..

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Stewart Title f*cked up some years ago, they had to pay a lot on some cases here and they never paid, just closed the office they had in SD and disappeared from DR.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Deslinde has nothing to do with the title insurance, totally different thing and doesn't replace title insurance in any way. You still can lose your ownership to the property due to many factors. The only way to avoid it is to understand why and when those problems can happen, and don't buy any property where those problem can appear later.

Jan 9, 2004
Deslinde has nothing to do with the title insurance, totally different thing and doesn't replace title insurance in any way. You still can lose your ownership to the property due to many factors. The only way to avoid it is to understand why and when those problems can happen, and don't buy any property where those problem can appear later.

Spot on.

A deslinde is the equivalent of an instrument survey to identify your property boundaries.

Title insurance is purchased to insure against claims of others to the property you are buying....as identified by your deslinde.

Not surprised if Stewart or First American stopped writing policies here. For the uninitiated, there are and have been, lots of claims regarding multiple owners holding duplicate titles for the same parcel. This was especially rampant in Altagracia province.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2