Renewing papers... AGAIN!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I'm not surprised that the rules/requirements to renew our Residence has changed again. We have been doing this for 20 years. But really?

We have never been able to fit into that short time frame of a longer period for renewal so we are at the 4 year mark to do it again. We had to submit ALL our original and new paperwork last time and have a med. 4 years ago.

1. Need docs submitted again. (hard to get some from our "home" country since it's been 20 years. Submit old ones.)
2. We provide passport type photos. ??
3. MUST show up for the Med. appointment that they give us at 1 of 2 places that they don't know yet. The one 4 years ago?? does not count.
4. Wait 10 days or ??? and MUST pick up the new Residence IN PERSON. We had our atty. do it one time in the past. As with everything here... 10 days means.... HOW MANY DAYS before it is actually available?
5. (I have NO idea about costs. But I'll bet it ain't gonna be cheap.)

Anyone else done this in the LAST FEW MONTHS?

Thanks.

If a thread is already covering this, please move.

Jan 7, 2016
Did it in early December 2016 at the two year renewal point. It wasn't bad except for the hassle of traveling and driving in Santo Domingo. Yes, it was costly, but relatively painless otherwise.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thank you dv8. Reading that thread was more confusing making no sense at all for a defined process that works.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
everything is explained here:
https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/SubList/31

very straightforward. you need to register online and upload required documents (copy of residency, cedula and passport; police check - obtainable online in DR; 2 photos - front and right side; insurance policy or a proof of economic solvency).
the system will update as the process moves forward. after your application is accepted you need to send the document listed above, or better still, go to SD to present them in person, since you also need to pay and pass a medical exam.
after your exam is cleared you go back to SD to pick up the residency and then you can renew cedula, same day.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Hmmmmm.
Reading this and similar threads about the hassles of getting residency make me happy I am one of the bad guys buying the tourist card upon entry and paying the overstay fees when I leave. Yes that day may come when I have no choice but until then........I'll remain on of the bad guys.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
We just renewed our residency for the fourth time. Super easy, no problems, NO LAWYER, and really - cost is less than 1/2 a beer a day.