Sahara dust on the way to DR

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Welcome to the Caribbean. Paradise comes with a price! After the dust it will be hurricane season. Batten down the hatches.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There was proof yesterday that the dust is already here in the air ..there was rain for about 5 minutes in the capital and afterwards you could see all the cars looking as if they had been driven along dirt roads. I suppose the rain drops pick up the particles of dust on the way down ..or is the dust in the clouds ..maybe someone can explain .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
the good news is that the dust inhibits hurricanes.
Yes, but it doesn't inhibits allergy attacks, in fact it inflames them. lol

Anyone that suffers from asthma should take extra precautions and take things as easy as possible.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Yes, but it doesn't inhibits allergy attacks, in fact it inflames them. lol

Anyone that suffers from asthma should take extra precautions and take things as easy as possible.

that must suck.............dust has been coming over these waters for millions of years..............is it the dust or the chemicals contained in the dust which enflames your asthma?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Dust particles can irritate and cause inflammation to the lungs which is harmful to those (me) who suffer from asthma. Both dust and any chemical particles will cause this. I suffer from allergies and asthma..not fun.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There was proof yesterday that the dust is already here in the air ..there was rain for about 5 minutes in the capital and afterwards you could see all the cars looking as if they had been driven along dirt roads. I suppose the rain drops pick up the particles of dust on the way down ..or is the dust in the clouds ..maybe someone can explain .

I saw lots of dust in the air near Luperon yesterday. As if it was a
small forest fire.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We have pleated "paper" filters in our pool,- you can see the reddish dust when we clean it which is more frequently as it clogs faster.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Welcome to the world aka the global village. Strong prevailing wind currents and changing climatic conditions carry all sorts of invasive foreign insects and contaminants everywhere. The jet stream can easily carry minute particles of dust from one region and deposit them in another region. The radioactive particles from Chernobyl were deposited world wide by the winds aloft. The Zika carrying mosquitoes have spread worldwide for the same reason. It more or less demonstrates how vulnerable we are regardless of where we live. Me, I'm glad those fricken mutant DR centipedes are too heavy to be carried by the wind. 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
For those of you that suffer from allergies I can recommend Valerpan. I take almost NO medicines and try to eat healthy and use natural medicines however when my allergies are at the worst I will go get a shot of Valerpan. About a day after receiving the shot I will go 4-6 weeks without ANY allergy symptoms. ZERO!
The only thing is the doctor who first told me about it instructed that it has some steroids in it so he said to take a break from it every once in a while as to not have any adverse reactions from the steroids. So I tend to take it when the allergies are at their worst and in those times it is a miracle drug.
Good luck with the allergies/asthma.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seriously blocked nose and breathing issues for the last few days. at first i thought it was a cold but maybe that goddamn dust is contributing to this plague as well. i have it real bad.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Ok, am I the only one reminded of snow bird Floridian decrying how cold it is at 72 degrees in January. Excuse me while I grab a tissue to wipe away my tears for you poor pathetic encountering a yearly event. Boo f-ing hoo. With love, a gringo truly suffering from a very cold spring. Did I even see a crocus this year?  No.  Not one. My heart bleeds for you all. 

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Is this dust here and if so I assume that's why I've seen the Cordillera Septentrional mountain range so foggy lately. A few days ago I thought it was fog and then some sort of smoke since I noticed it at around noon, then yesterday I also saw the city covered in this sort of "fog". Arr, I hope it goes away soon, one the things I never get tired off, is contemplating both mountain ranges surrounding Santiago.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My dust allergies are back.

Lindsey
That's the weird thing Lindsay. When it's pollen season where I live in Canada, I have to resort to Reactine on almost a daily basis. When I'm in the DR where it's always pollen season, I don't need to use anything. The varying humidity levels or types of pollen may have something to do with it. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's the weird thing Lindsay. When it's pollen season where I live in Canada, I have to resort to Reactine on almost a daily basis. When I'm in the DR where it's always pollen season, I don't need to use anything. The varying humidity levels or types of pollen may have something to do with it. 

I've never seen pollen in DR the way we have it in US. It seems the entire month of May everything is covered in it.  Mr AE's brother and nephew were here this month, and they both were shocked to see it on the cars and floating on the lake behind our house. Brother said he'd heard of pollen, but had never seen it before (born and raised in Santo Domingo) 

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

There's a big difference between most trees regrowing some of their leaves all the time vs all trees regrowing all their leaves all at once.