URGENT - A+ BLOOD NEEDED

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
If anyone can donate A+ blood, please go to CMC Sosua asap to be tested. It is for Shelly, an elderly American lady. Thank you!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am A+, but am in Puerto Plata without a car.

Do you know if there are restrictions on donors due to age or gender?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i went there yesterday. they took blood and told me they will get it checked and to see if it is compatible - checking takes about 3 hours. this morning at 9 am i should call and to see if i can be a donor. What i don't understand, yesterday i called if they need still blood and on the phone i go told yes please come and i should talk to the reception. well i talked to the reception, then the lady told....ah some people already showed up. It was more to say "We do not need you nomore!" I told the person that i callled 5 min ago and i got told to come. Well she then rolled the eyes but went asking. The very nice lady from the laboratory then took my blood. The only friendly person there yesterday. So this morning i should call again and ask if i am compatible. What i do not understand why one needs patience even donating blood!!! There is a person who needs blood and persons willing to donate, then please be friendly ... Now i called several times to see if I should go or not. Well i am getting told they need to talk to Laboratory lady i should call back in 5 min; calling back in 10 min ... again...please call in 5 min she hasn't been able to talk to the Laboratory lady. Patience Patience Patience.... Just at 12 noon i have an appointment and then again at 2pm....

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I am A+, but am in Puerto Plata without a car.

Do you know if there are restrictions on donors due to age or gender?

You would need to go twice! first getting blood drawn; checking takes 3 hours. but already several persons went.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i went there yesterday. they took blood and told me they will get it checked and to see if it is compatible - checking takes about 3 hours. this morning at 9 am i should call and to see if i can be a donor. What i don't understand, yesterday i called if they need still blood and on the phone i go told yes please come and i should talk to the reception. well i talked to the reception, then the lady told....ah some people already showed up. It was more to say "We do not need you nomore!" I told the person that i callled 5 min ago and i got told to come. Well she then rolled the eyes but went asking. The very nice lady from the laboratory then took my blood. The only friendly person there yesterday. So this morning i should call again and ask if i am compatible. What i do not understand why one needs patience even donating blood!!! There is a person who needs blood and persons willing to donate, then please be friendly ... Now i called several times to see if I should go or not. Well i am getting told they need to talk to Laboratory lady i should call back in 5 min; calling back in 10 min ... again...please call in 5 min she hasn't been able to talk to the Laboratory lady. Patience Patience Patience.... Just at 12 noon i have an appointment and then again at 2pm....

remember where you are, and this too shall pass.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
remember where you are, and this too shall pass.

Nope.... my mother worked for Red Cross, they had blood donation activities or you could go anytime. You got treated like a king or queen because you donated something very precious to someone in need. One donates because one wants to help people. It is just the people in between sometimes are lacking empathy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nope.... my mother worked for Red Cross, they had blood donation activities or you could go anytime. You got treated like a king or queen because you donated something very precious to someone in need. One donates because one wants to help people. It is just the people in between sometimes are lacking empathy.

what i am saying is that if you are an expat, you most likely come from a country in which the service people know how to deal with the public, and how to make things proceed in an orderly fashion. when i say you need to remember where you are, i mean that you have to adjust your expectations downwards, and life will appear to be smoother.

this morning i woke up, and tried to boot up my computer. no internet. so, i decided to watch a little tv instead. turned on the thing, and there was a lettering that said...no hay senal.

so, i remembered where i am, and proceeded to read a book.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
well i am here almost 30 years! this country is in certain issues more advanced than others. But if there is a newly build clinic, where the owners try hard to keep it working in an organised pace but then when the employees don't have "la gana" they just put the lazy pace..... just forgetting that there is an emergency!!! there is an elderly person in need. Empathy i am calling for. Not having internet, not having power , car not working etc.... well that is totally normal! but someone with health issues is on an other page!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Gorgon you are comparing apples with oranges. ..... but here we have a peach case! you see now where i am coming from. LOL

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com

Sosua is known for it's rude, lack of customer service, attitude among it's employees. Meeting an employee who is friendly and knowledgeable is an exception. Always be prepared for disinformation and a lack of helpfulness.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon you are comparing apples with oranges. ..... but here we have a peach case! you see now where i am coming from. LOL

i agree with you, 100%. however, you have to think of other factors which influence behavior. if you were in a place like the USA, and you felt that you received shoddy attention, you would probably ask to speak to a supervisor, and something would happen. ask for a supervisor here, and the person you are currently speaking to will say that he or she is the supervisor.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i agree with you, 100%. however, you have to think of other factors which influence behavior. if you were in a place like the USA, and you felt that you received shoddy attention, you would probably ask to speak to a supervisor, and something would happen. ask for a supervisor here, and the person you are currently speaking to will say that he or she is the supervisor.

jajajaaaaaaaaaaaa or at lunch; or in a meeting ... because the required qualification of a supervisor does not exist here. the supervisor is just there to cover what the employee is doing/behaving/etc... not to resolve issues for a customer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
jajajaaaaaaaaaaaa or at lunch; or in a meeting ... because the required qualification of a supervisor does not exist here. the supervisor is just there to cover what the employee is doing/behaving/etc... not to resolve issues for a customer.

you have to realize, and you probably do, that customer service is an idea that has not been tried in this land. part of the reason for that is lack of competition. when i lived in the US, i had telephone companies calling me up, offering me money to sign up with them, leaving my current carrier. in the DR, nobody gives a rats rump if you do not like the service, because there are not many places you can go. when people work in that kind of an ecosystem, they dont care if you dont like what they dish out to you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sometimes social media is the only way to get the attention of the true "supervisor". #CMCSOSUA may get a response eventually, especially if tweeted in both English & Spanish.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank you all so much for being willing to help. It is very unfortunate that the system can be difficult and frustrating with mis-information often being given. I am no longer able to donate but, when I used to feel like not bothering because more than likely they'd turn me down, I thought about what if it was me or my child needing it, and I'd go anyway, knowing it might be a waste of time. I wish it were different but we have to work with what we have, at least for now. Thank you all once again. Shelly has enough for now and is very grateful for everyone's help and concern. She is doing quite a bit better.

In terms of the restrictions on donating, they seem to change according to who you ask and where you are trying to give, so best to ask on a case by case basis.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

This is definitely not a Red Cross operation. The red Cross is THE premier first responder, trained not only to handle crises but to be polite and compassionate, think Marine / force recon, the best !!